Sponsored

Fear of voiding warranty

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Before I relocated I had my dealer in California install a 2” Mopar lift and 35” tires on my 2018 JKUR Recon, only to have my current local Washington State Jeep dealer deny warranty work.

My WA Jeep dealer is either completely ignorant of Mopar accessories, or plays dumb to avoid having to do warranty work. FCA pays dealers less for warranty work than for customer pay work, so when dealers are too busy they will make up excuses to avoid taking in warranty customers.

Yes, Jeep dealers can be ass*s, and FCA doesn’t seem to care.

This time I am keeping my Wrangler pretty stock to avoid giving the dealer any excuses. JLs have way too many electronics to be without warranty.
Lol. Which electronics would be affected by a lift?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Lol. Which electronics would be affected by a lift?
That’s precisely the point: if a dealer wants to deny warranty, some out there will make an issue out of anything. And FCA lets them do it.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
I’m not so sure it’s about specific extras that ‘void’ our warranties but more about the relationship we have with the dealership.

It’s just human nature not to want to help a customer who’s being confrontational and bleating about their entitlements. Like any relationship both sides need to work at it.

Canyonero JL

First Name
Krusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL Unlimited
How do you like the tazer?
I have the Tazer JL (not mini) and bought it for installing a front trail cam. The trail cam was invaluable on Hell’s Revenge and Fins & Things (Moab) when crawling up the narrow slick rock. The camera allowed me to follow the line despite not being able to see over my hood. If you’ve been there, you know what I’m talking about, The camera/JTazer JL are well worth the investment, imho.

balan

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Website
heraglobaltech.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab Punk'n
Occupation
Engineer
I have the Tazer JL (not mini) and bought it for installing a front trail cam. The trail cam was invaluable on Hell’s Revenge and Fins & Things (Moab) when crawling up the narrow slick rock. The camera allowed me to follow the line despite not being able to see over my hood. If you’ve been there, you know what I’m talking about, The camera/JTazer JL are well worth the investment, imho.
Which camera system did you install and where did you install it?

Sponsored

greenvillebigwheels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Changing tires does not void your warranty. Sounds like your current dealer is an ass.
Changing tires shouldnt void your warranty but my experience is that it can be a trouble spot. I had an issue with my 06 TJ where the engine would stall under load on a hot day. The dealer worked on it about 10 times before claiming that 1” larger tires was the problem. I had to get jeep involved. They replaced the whole ac system but said if that didnt work they were done. Jeep, not the dealer, made it very clear that larger tires can be used as a reason for issues if they cant figure it out.

Priherd

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR
Most little stuff like tire upgrades and such are not a big deal across the board. Just make sure that wherever you get them installed they use your OEM TPMS sensors off your old rims if you are upgrading those as well.
If your upgrading your wheels and tires, why do you need to use the OEM TPMS sensors from the OEM wheels?

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
If your upgrading your wheels and tires, why do you need to use the OEM TPMS sensors from the OEM wheels?
The post you quoted was over a year ago back in 2018, but:

At that time there were many known issues with aftermarket TPMS sensors. There still could be but I’m not sure.

Canyonero JL

First Name
Krusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
parkvision smart car reverse backup camera. I installed it on my bumper hoop, between auxiliary lights. Much better than the camera that comes with the TaZer kit

Kpbergma

First Name
Karel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 JKUS, 20 JLUR
parkvision smart car reverse backup camera. I installed it on my bumper hoop, between auxiliary lights. Much better than the camera that comes with the TaZer kit
Did that kit come with everything you needed, or did you still need the wiring harness from Z Automotive?

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Every dealer is going to be different. A couple of dealers I spoke with before and after ordering my JL said FCA did not like anything spliced into the wiring harness. Stuff like a after market alarms, vehicle trackers, or aftermarket remote starters. They said it's not uncommon for aftermarket alarms to cause no-start problems. They said FCA has denied warranty for stuff that was installed poorly or improperly. I asked about aux lighting, winches, etc and they highly recommended ordering the tow package with AUX wiring. Maybe it's a ploy to encourage and sell more tow packages and factory options? They also did not like products like Tazers. It's too bad because a Tazer seems pretty cool. YMMV.

Last edited:

Canyonero JL

First Name
Krusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did that kit come with everything you needed, or did you still need the wiring harness from Z Automotive?
You’ll also need the wiring harness from z automotive. Everything gets expensive, I know, but it’s a nice modification. I also needed a bumper hoop mounting bracket.

Canyonero JL

First Name
Krusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Been there multiple times....never needed a camera, lol.
You don’t see the value in a trail cam? It eliminates that big blind spot that extends 6 feet past your front bumper and allows you to wheel without someone else yelling “passenger side” or “driver side” at every obstacle. I’m born and raised in Colorado, bought my first Jeep in ‘94, and believe that the trail cam is one of the best off road accessories to have.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Changing tires does not void your warranty. Sounds like your current dealer is an ass.
i had a dealer that was busting my balls during the life time inspection about my aftermarket tires and rims. mind you, they were stock size as the oem. they even chewed me out on the bull bars too.

Different dealers behave in different ways because they are all independently owned.
agreed and dealt with some good ones, and royal $h*t one.
Sponsored