Sponsored

Fear of voiding warranty

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Same argument comes up in the Harley world all the time too. It's complete BS and fear-mongering at best. It is on the dealer to prove that your modifications caused the warranty issue. Extended warranties are nothing but a huge money-maker for dealers/manufacturers. I do all my own modifications. If a dealer wants to deny me coverage unwarranted they're going to have a fight on their hands. If something breaks because I beat it up then I'll fix it.
Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Best bet is to spend the extra bucks and have dealer install your mods. That way it is in their system and your paper receipt.

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
We we purchased our Jeep new it already had a lift, and 35” tires. The only thing we’ve done to it was add wheel spacers to keep the tires from rubbing when we made a tight turn. Absolutely love it so far!

Mojito!19

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (JLU) Mojito!, 2017 Jeep Wrangler Sport S (JKU) Extreme Purple
The unfortunate part of extended warranties is how much they charge for them. If it's never used then it's a waste of money. If service/repairs are denied because of mods then it also becomes a waste of money. No different really than the insurance we already pay to drive it on the road.

The dealer where I purchased mine wanted $4500 for the 7yr/100k, super wazoo, gizmo fix everything warranty. I said no thanks and went to another dealership managed by a friend. Bought the same warranty for considerably less. (Basically wholesale pricing...)

When the dealers buy the warranties in bulk they just turn around and make a profit by scaring consumers into buying them at elevated pricing.
It is true that the extended warranties are a cash cow for dealerships but much like shopping around for pricing a build, there can be a huge difference in price from dealer to dealer even more so than the price of vehicles they sell. Most dealers will credit you an unused portion towards your next purchase from them. I paid $2000 for my 7/100,000 plan from a high volume dealer a few weeks ago when I took delivery of my ‘19 JLUS. Especially with just about every electronic option you could get... my wife’s Chevy Equinox years ago cost us $3000 out of pocket for electrical issues. It’s nice having peace of mind too... everybody has their personal preference.

Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
If you have any fear or doubt modifying is not for you period. Technically if you modify it and a major problem comes up you could end up with nothing you know that going in (which is why you are scared) so you man up and you either take the chance or you leave it bone stock that’s the only two choices. There’s always some gamble in modifying your brand new anything. Take everybody’s advice here with a grain of salt. The corporate office nor dealers will put anything in writing , that should be a huge sign.

Bob502000

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All-
I am getting ready to do some modifications to my jeep. I want to add bigger tires, but I am afraid of voiding the warranty- I purchased the lifetime right before the cut off. I was hoping to get 35s but would hate for something to come up and they tell me I'm SOL for something major to the tranny. I was told by the dealer a new tranny can run 8 grand for my 6 spd manual, which sounds ridiculous.
Anyone else feel held back?
I guess i'm good to go with just wheel spacers. hehehehehe looks good to.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Ha Ha. That made me laugh. Oh, i remember those days. Poopy diapers and projectile vomit.
Enjoy it while it lasts. My son is 19 now and I think in a lot of ways a lot more work than when he was little ;)
Sadly Lisa, for some 19 year olds the projectile vomit continues to present itself.

It's just the cause (read: alcohol poisoning) that seems to change.;)

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
No plans to mod the jeep but still will decline the extended warranty when i take delivery. If they push me i just say im dropping in a lsx motor as soon as the warranty is up...lol. its not my daily driver and these extended warrantys keep ticking up in price, just not worth the cost to me.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Did you
I too bought the warranty from Tom, wondering if I should cancel it? I already run bigger tires than stock .Though they are just a little bit bigger and wider. If the warranty is gonna be avoided anyways then its better to save the money now and keep it for rainy day. What you guys think?
Did you cancel it?

Sponsored

punknking

First Name
Chrus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
buying JLU soon
Hi All-
I am getting ready to do some modifications to my jeep. I want to add bigger tires, but I am afraid of voiding the warranty- I purchased the lifetime right before the cut off. I was hoping to get 35s but would hate for something to come up and they tell me I'm SOL for something major to the tranny. I was told by the dealer a new tranny can run 8 grand for my 6 spd manual, which sounds ridiculous.
Anyone else feel held back?
keep your old tires / rims

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Hi Lamar,
So let me ask this, recommended by the manufacturer. In the brochure it says the Rubicon was designed for 35 inch tires with a 2 inch lift, so can that be considered the manufacturer's recommendation?
Are you kidding me? They aren’t going to answer these questions. Too much liability. Try to establish a good rapport with your dealer and hope for the best. No Jeep rep that scans these forums will help you.

Bilymac

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ram 2500, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2017 Harley Street Glide Special, 2019 Jeep JLRU
@LLRubylady, I would think having a copy of the brochure would be good to support any argument you may have for the Mopar lift and 35's. I'm planning on the same combination.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
@LLRubylady, I would think having a copy of the brochure would be good to support any argument you may have for the Mopar lift and 35's. I'm planning on the same combination.
From what I am reading, it's a crapshoot and too much aggravation. Not planning many mods and don't do any wheeling, but I hear even changing rims with OEM tires if the weight is more than stock, it's an issue. I am cancelling my warranty today. I'll take my chances, and I have Geico breakdown insurance.

Last edited:

Thashef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Hydro Blue
From what I am reading, it's a crapshoot and too much aggravation. Not planning many mods and don't do any wheeling, but I hear even changing rims with OEM tires if the weight is more than stock, it's an issue. I am cancelling my warranty today. I'll take my chances, and I have Geico breakdown insurance.
Did you do it? I am still debating..I think I have till the end of the month to do it.
Sponsored