LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Hi All-
I am getting ready to do some modifications to my jeep. I want to add bigger tires, but I am afraid of voiding the warranty- I purchased the lifetime right before the cut off. I was hoping to get 35s but would hate for something to come up and they tell me I'm SOL for something major to the tranny. I was told by the dealer a new tranny can run 8 grand for my 6 spd manual, which sounds ridiculous.
Anyone else feel held back?
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Hi All-
I am getting ready to do some modifications to my jeep. I want to add bigger tires, but I am afraid of voiding the warranty- I purchased the lifetime right before the cut off. I was hoping to get 35s but would hate for something to come up and they tell me I'm SOL for something major to the tranny. I was told by the dealer a new tranny can run 8 grand for my 6 spd manual, which sounds ridiculous.
Changing tires does not void your warranty. Sounds like your current dealer is an ass.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Different dealers behave in different ways because they are all independently owned.

For example, the dealership where I purchased my Wrangler charges $125-$160 per flash, whilst the dealership 15 miles east only charges $100 and so on. While warranties are pretty straight forward across the board, some dealerships are lax.

The dealership where I bought my Wrangler may be on the uptick in terms of flash prices, however, they are very lax with mods and understanding in regards to warranty.

Most little stuff like tire upgrades and such are not a big deal across the board. Just make sure that wherever you get them installed they use your OEM TPMS sensors off your old rims if you are upgrading those as well.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
This is a grey area and I have seen it go both ways.

There was a long thread on the Wrangler Forum within the last year or so about this. A member put on a small lift and 35s on their JK. They took it in for service, and FCA voided their lifetime warranty. A lift and tires would make no impact on the issue they were having. The member got FCA reps involved and escalated to no avail.

Often you hear as long as the parts don't lead to the issue you are fine, however in this case they voided the entire warranty.

Your best bet is to have a dealership install a mopar lift and tires. This is really the only way to avoid any warranty issues. However, it is expensive, and in my opinion not the greatest product.

I have also had issues with warranty work. I bought a 2017 JK. The following day the check engine light went on. I took it in and the dealer cleared the code and sent me home. It happened a second time with the same outcome. Both times I was assured it wasn't a problem.

I lifted my jeep and put bigger tires on. The light came back on. I took the jeep in and the dealership refused to look at it. I argued, and finally they half ass looked. Their decision was the check engine light was caused by the lift... I reminded them that I brought it in twice prior to the lift for the same check engine light. They stated that they had no record of it ever being in, and their head tech made the decision. The only way they would take a further look is if I returned the jeep to stock.

I took it to other dealerships and got the same runaround.

The majority of dealerships will use anything you changed on the jeep as an excuse to deny work.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I think I've read that putting bigger tires will void the mopar maxcare lifetime warranty but having the mopar 2 inch lift installed by a dealer doesnt.
Yes I've heard of those, but just changing your tires to 35"? That doesn't need a regear or anything? I do know dealerships will try to screw you over in things. My brother works for a Chevy dealer and some guy brought in his new Silverado that "he" installed LED headlights and taillights on. The guy's computer died and the engineer from Chevy inspected it and came to the conclusion that it was an improper LED install that fried the computer. No Warranty coverage. Ouch.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I agree with Carlton. Every dealership is different. But, always remember that IF they deny your warranty and/or void your warranty the only recourse you've got is to hire a lawyer and fight it out in court.

People will always throw around the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act and make it sound like "they cannot void your warranty over mods". But the truth is they CAN because rarely will anyone spend a small fortune and invest heavy time to fight a multi-billion dollar company in court. "They have to prove that your mod caused the failure!". Um, sometimes YOU end up having to prove that it didn't.

So yeah, it's a grey area and it's risky. That's why I generally stay mild with modifications until my warranty is near the end. And if it's something I can fix myself quickly at home, I'll do that just to avoid the possibility of having issues.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Yes I've heard of those, but just changing your tires to 35"? That doesn't need a regear or anything? I do know dealerships will try to screw you over in things. My brother works for a Chevy dealer and some guy brought in his new Silverado that "he" installed LED headlights and taillights on. The guy's computer died and the engineer from Chevy inspected it and came to the conclusion that it was an improper LED install that fried the computer. No Warranty coverage. Ouch.
Ok my brother says if you really want to upgrade your wheels and you are getting the run around, KEEP your stock wheels and tires and swap back to them if you ever need warranty.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Don't get your parts through a dealer, they will seriously over charge you. I got screwed on a headlight assembly with a ballast that should have ran $700 and I ended up paying $1400 for parts. Here is an example of what a six speed should cost you ball park....

https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/19352208/10002/-1

Print it out and take it to the dealer and say....WTF Man?????

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I agree with Carlton. Every dealership is different. But, always remember that IF they deny your warranty and/or void your warranty the only recourse you've got is to hire a lawyer and fight it out in court.

People will always throw around the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act and make it sound like "they cannot void your warranty over mods". But the truth is they CAN because rarely will anyone spend a small fortune and invest heavy time to fight a multi-billion dollar company in court. "They have to prove that your mod caused the failure!". Um, sometimes YOU end up having to prove that it didn't.

So yeah, it's a grey area and it's risky. That's why I generally stay mild with modifications until my warranty is near the end. And if it's something I can fix myself quickly at home, I'll do that just to avoid the possibility of having issues.
This is entirely correct. Even if you’re denied when in the right, it costs more than most are able or willing to spend to fight a corporate juggernaut.

Also OP, it’s quite common if you have a mod issue that might remotely cause warranty controversy, simply revert the mods in question back to stock configuration before taking it in for service. In this case put stock wheels/tires back on your Jeep before getting service. Even if you have to borrow/swap a set temporarily. Problem solved.

$8K sounds outrageously expensive for a manual transmission and can’t be right. That sounds about twice as much as an automatic should cost.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Hi All-
Going from 33s to 35s should not void your warranty. Call FCA warranties and ask them to point out in the fine print why this would be an issue. If it’s just the fact your Jeep’s odometer won’t be right, so what? There’s no limit on miles, is there? And of course you can get the dealer to correct the speedometer if you are concerned.

I thought about getting the lifetime warranty, but for the price, it just made no sense to me. I doubt I’ll have it in 5 years, let alone 10.

My son is a service writer at a Jeep/Chrysler dealer and they do warranty work on cars with all sorts of modifications. I rarely hear him tell a story about somone getting denied. Maybe it varies by dealer. This dealership is big on customized Jeeps and muscle cars. They love selling those warranties since they are such cash cows. They have a lot of repeat customers and they want people buying new cars and warranties from them.

OldBird

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Keep in mind there is also a difference between standard warranties and extended warranties. I am not a lawyer (anymore), but IIRC the Magnuson-Moss Act says that the manufacturer would have to prove that the modification or aftermarket part caused the warranty issue in order to deny payment. But that only applies to included warranties, not extended. There is a separate agreement for the lifetime warranty and that act probably does not apply.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind there is also a difference between standard warranties and extended warranties. I am not a lawyer (anymore), but IIRC the Magnuson-Moss Act says that the manufacturer would have to prove that the modification or aftermarket part caused the warranty issue in order to deny payment. But that only applies to included warranties, not extended. There is a separate agreement for the lifetime warranty and that act probably does not apply.
Yes, the extended warranty is more like an insurance, so MMA does not apply.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
That is why I bought Rubicon, since it is almost a half-ass modded one (high falre, moderate lift, bigger tire). I will do things to her only after warranty expires in 2099.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
That is why I bought Rubicon, since it is almost a half-ass modded one (high falre, moderate lift, bigger tire). I will do things to her only after warranty expires in 2099.
2099 lol.
Sponsored