Sponsored

FCA working on straight 6 diesels for JL/JT Wrangler?

Jeep XXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
For what it's worth Allpar is saying there is evidence that FCA is working on a straight 6 diesel engines that could make its way to the JL/JT Wrangler, though that last bit seems more speculation than anything. I wish this whole diesel scandal could be behind us and we'd have some clear answers if it is coming or not.

New straight-six diesels, too?

Alongside new gasoline straight-six engines from FCA Corporate, we have seen some evidence that Fiat Powertrain is working on straight-six diesel engines, possibly based on a new generation of the FPT four-cylinders used in the Ram ProMaster and Fiat Ducato vans.

Jeep Wrangler JL FCA working on straight 6 diesels for JL/JT Wrangler? {filename}

What would the diesel be good for? We can think of a few uses within the American brands, quite aside from Fiat commercial applications.

For one, it could replace the expensive VM 3-liter V6 diesel used in Ram 1500 pickups, reducing the pressure on VM to produce ever-increasing numbers of those engines. That would allow more of the engines to be used in more Maseratis, Alfa Romeos, Grand Cherokees, and such. It could even be a base diesel for the Ram 2500, at much lower cost than the top-range Cummins.

Another use could be in the Jeep Wrangler and the upcoming Wrangler-based pickup; standardizing on inline engines could help engineers to dramatically improve the off-road abilities of both, by providing more room for suspension movement.

That alone would be justification enough, but chances are there are numerous places for such an engine in the Fiat Chrysler empire.
Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
If the 2018 Wrangler JLU has the option to order a straight-six Diesel engine, that is exactly what I am going to order.

If not, I will wait & pray for a 4-cyl diesel option in 2019/2020, and buy nothing until then.

OP
OP

Jeep XXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
If the 2018 Wrangler JLU has the option to order a straight-six Diesel engine, that is exactly what I am going to order.

If not, I will wait & pray for a 4-cyl diesel option in 2019/2020, and buy nothing until then.
I would go for the straight 6 diesel too but I think "working on" means it will not be available at launch if the JL gets it at all. So i'm thinking we wont see any diesels until 2019 earliest anyhow.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I think FCA has a lot of coin into certifying the 3.0, plus they are confident they will beat the rap, so we'll see it in the JL in the first year. Your opinion might vary...

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I think FCA has a lot of coin into certifying the 3.0, plus they are confident they will beat the rap, so we'll see it in the JL in the first year. Your opinion might vary...
I dont think it will make the first year of the JL but maybe the JT
Sponsored