First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
IT Administrator
So, I got my 7” from the 2018 Grand Cherokee installed (thank you Dremel) and it works really well. The only thing I’ve really lost is the backup camera. What’s odd about it, is that there’s no connection for the camera. Where the hell do the cameras connect on a 2018 GC?

E0F1E6DC-037B-4696-80C0-57687F7D9241.jpeg
what connectors are on the back of the radio that you purchased and are you able to take a picture of the back of the unit with the labels? That would be super helpful!
Sponsored

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
what connectors are on the back of the radio that you purchased and are you able to take a picture of the back of the unit with the labels? That would be super helpful!
If i'm not mistaken light brown connector is the camera connector on the jeep. 2019 GC radio that I was playing with has a blue connector. Unfortunately I managed to break the screen on my GC unit so I can not figure out the camera problem. Wrangler and GC might have different cameras hence different connectors, or there might be something else going on. Or we could be lucky and connecting brown wrangler plug to blue GC connector will make everything work.

Edit: I was completely wrong. Purple connector is a camera connector. Light brown is most likely is a sat antenna.

Last edited:

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Sure! The model is the VP2_7 WK. here’s a picture from the Ad. There’s a black plastic cap where the connector for the camera is on my JL 5 inch.

6F7B1F83-C6EA-4388-A4A0-244D02C7C38D.jpeg

OP
OP
orbpurple

orbpurple

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Administrator
I'm gonna have to pull my 5" radio and check all the different connectors/plugs that are back there to make sure I find the correct radio. CMath... do you have any plugs that arent connected to the 7" radio that were connected to the 5" radio?

OP
OP
orbpurple

orbpurple

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Administrator
I have the USB gray plug. I have the white plug which i assume is the AM/FM antenna. I have a mustard colored connector on the radio that connects to a cable with a blue tip and then a red colored connector on the radio with a cable with a red tip. Does anyone know what these are? I assume one would be the Sirius XM antenna but I cant figure out what the other cable would be for.

radio1.jpg

radio2.jpg

radio3.jpg

Sponsored

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the USB gray plug. I have the white plug which i assume is the AM/FM antenna. I have a mustard colored connector on the radio that connects to a cable with a blue tip and then a red colored connector on the radio with a cable with a red tip. Does anyone know what these are? I assume one would be the Sirius XM antenna but I cant figure out what the other cable would be for.
Red connector should be camera.

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm gonna have to pull my 5" radio and check all the different connectors/plugs that are back there to make sure I find the correct radio. CMath... do you have any plugs that arent connected to the 7" radio that were connected to the 5" radio?
Yes, the Red Plug (camera) has no place to go on the GC Uconnect. Seems weird that a 2018 doesn’t have a spot.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, the Red Plug (camera) has no place to go on the GC Uconnect. Seems weird that a 2018 doesn’t have a spot.
Myne from 2019 GC does not have it too. Like I said, I messed up the screen on mine, so I'll try to disassemble it and see if you can solder correct camera connector to the board. I see Uconnect 4 radios from 2019 GC and 2019 Dodge Durango's for $150 from time to time on ebay. I can waste another 150 for the test if there is a place on the board to solder camera connector.

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It sure looks like there’s a spot covered by that plastic tab

Sponsored

OP
OP
orbpurple

orbpurple

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Administrator
Does anyone know why the Harman branded radios won’t work? They seem to have all the connectors that this radio has that’s made by Delphi?

OP
OP
orbpurple

orbpurple

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Administrator
I wonder what all is required to solder a connector on the board for the camera to work.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone know why the Harman branded radios won’t work? They seem to have all the connectors that this radio has that’s made by Delphi?
I dont think that anybody tried yet. If I understand correctly, uconnect with 7 and 8.4 screens run some version of Android. I suspect that harman radio might run a version of Android that might not support new Jeeps.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok. I have some bad news for anyone who wants to get a very cheap upgrade radio and have a working camera. Its very easy to solder a connector to the right place on the board, but it looks like to me, that its not just connector that's missing. There is a place for a chip on the board right next to the camera connector place.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also learn from my mistakes :) As it turns out screen assembly is bolted directly to the plastic frame and is kinda heavy. So if you want to modify the plastic frame, dont unbolt it from the rest of the radio because screen has two very delicate ribbon cable connecting it to the radio and if you dont expect it and whole screen assembly falls down you'll f**k up your ribbon cables.
Sponsored