Sponsored

Jeepmojave85

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Yeah, prices are going to kill this eventually. My 21’ gladiator I bought in October last year is now up 5K to over 60K. That is insane.
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
The Wrangler is a high margin product for Stellantis…but affordability and the value proposition is waning for all of the reasons already mentioned. I just priced out a BMW x5 45e plug In hybrid…nicely equipped…$75,000 less a 7,500 tax credit. This is only slightly more expensive than a loaded up 4xe….and a far nicer ride. I enjoy my annual off road trip to the mountains…but the BMW is far nicer the other 355 days per year. Another factor impacting the Wrangler might be the perception of corporate greed - quality issues are not addressed and they continue to charge for extras like LED headlights that are standard in the industry ….and consumers are starting to walk away. I’m likely done with Jeep after the one I have now unless something changes.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Yeah, those are annual sales numbers, not year model. If you look, you will see that they sold 2 new Vipers last year. And a Dart? Where were those hiding? Ram truck sales down 18%. I wonder if Ford and GM saw similar losses in truck sales?

Wrangler has hit a price ceiling. Stellantis has milked this cash cow, now it needs feed and rest. Maybe some decontenting. It’s not a G wagen after all.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
While sales are down, profits are most likely up. This is most likely an intentional change in strategy. Massive price increases, MSRP and above for most dealerships. Sell less vehicles but at higher profit margins.
Companies get heavily measured on revenue growth. Yes, the street likes to see margin expansion, but not at the expense of growth.

CharlesC

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sahara Altitude
I'm amazed at how the general public seems to have become so numb to trillion dollar spending packages full of BS and cars that cost more than the average persons yearly salary, again simply isn't sustainable on any level...I cringe at how hard the landing is going to be...
I agree with you, but folks need to realize, it's not just FCA... ALL cars have gotten overly expensive. 15% of folks now have + $1000 car payments. $1000 is a MORTGAGE payment in my book. Best advise is to save, save, save your pennies, and buy in CASH, or at least have a very hefty down payment to minimize your finance payments, and get you into an immediate equity position.

But as long as the manufacturers (all of them) continue to cut cheaper cars, and replace them with higher priced options, we're going to be in this situation for a while.

It's going to resolve itself eventually... As Warren Buffet says "when the tide goes out, you will be able to see who was skinny dipping"...

Sponsored

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I just want a refresh to include a Hurricane edition Wrangler with new Hurricane engine, 60s and 37s from the factory. Oh and in that sweet Astros orange they had a year or two ago.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I agree with you, but folks need to realize, it's not just FCA... ALL cars have gotten overly expensive. 15% of folks now have + $1000 car payments. $1000 is a MORTGAGE payment in my book.
$1,000 was a mortgage payment 30 years ago :). I'd guess the majority of mortgages are north of $2,500 now.

CharlesC

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sahara Altitude
$1,000 was a mortgage payment 30 years ago :). I'd guess the majority of mortgages are north of $2,500 now.
OMG... Does that make me OLD?? :LOL: Ha!!
I look at how much rent is at some places, and I just sit and scratch my head...

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
So Wrangler sales are down 11%.

I imagine that’s due to some combination of higher gas prices, higher sticker prices, higher interest rates, production bottlenecks, and the need for a mid-cycle refresh. So not very surprising at all, really.

I have long wondered how far manufacturers can push prices up. With higher interest rates making loans more expensive — and inflation biting every family’s budget — we’re beginning to find out.

Something that can’t go on forever, won’t.
You mentioned everything but stagnent incomes.
If the average Joe made more and kept up with the eventualities of price increases we'd all be better off.
It's more of a American new reality.... money is flowing upwards at a faster rate and us regular folk see it as a devaluation of our income.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I agree with you, but folks need to realize, it's not just FCA... ALL cars have gotten overly expensive. 15% of folks now have + $1000 car payments. $1000 is a MORTGAGE payment in my book. Best advise is to save, save, save your pennies, and buy in CASH, or at least have a very hefty down payment to minimize your finance payments, and get you into an immediate equity position.

But as long as the manufacturers (all of them) continue to cut cheaper cars, and replace them with higher priced options, we're going to be in this situation for a while.

It's going to resolve itself eventually... As Warren Buffet says "when the tide goes out, you will be able to see who was skinny dipping"...
Agree though mortgage payment of $1000 has been gone for a while. Example — Rewind 20 years buy the average single family home at interest rates of that time and you’re still above $1k.

Our current situation will work itself out and the landing will not be fun for anyone.

Sponsored

matz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Jeep is second to only Buick in current inventory supply so these numbers are going to absolutely crash starting with year over year quarterly numbers at the end of the first and second quarter. Rising interest rates (doubling) along with used vehicle prices crashing will exponentially speed this market reset. Go check out dealer inventory for yourself, some large dealerships have well over 50-100 compasses and cherokees with the most pain still to come with the massive slowdown of the real estate and tech sectors. Buckle up and stow away cash my friends (in high yield accounts of course) this landing is going to be bumpy.

350camper

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTU
The JLUR with 6MT and 3.6V6 starts at $49,785 MSRP now. A couple of years ago it was around $45K or so, not to mention the heavy discount then. The affordability has gone way done.

Last edited:

WheretheJLs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Hydro Blue Rubicon XR
Craziest stat is they sold 1 Dodge Viper this year and 4 last year. Where are these new vipers as the last was produced in August 2017?

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Craziest stat is they sold 1 Dodge Viper this year and 4 last year. Where are these new vipers as the last was produced in August 2017?
Maybe dealers had them on display? I'm not sure what excuse could be given for the Dodge Darts that went out of production in 2016.
Sponsored