Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

FCA US Reports Fourth-quarter and Full-year 2022 Sales Results
  • 2022 total U.S. sales decline 13% versus 2021 calendar year, in an industry projected to be down 8%
  • Total PHEV U.S. sales increase 26% year over year and 21% in the fourth quarter versus last year
  • Jeep® Wrangler 4xe is America’s best-selling plug-in hybrid vehicle, up 46% year over year and 22% in the fourth quarter versus same period last year
  • The all-new 2022 Grand Cherokee 4xe accounts for 5,686 (11%) of Grand Cherokee total U.S sales in fourth quarter
  • Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid up 123% in fourth quarter retail sales versus same period last year
  • Dodge Challenger retains No. 1 muscle car claim for second consecutive year
  • 2022 total U.S. sales of Dodge Challenger up 1% and Dodge Charger up 2% versus 2021 calendar year
  • Dodge brand’s total U.S. sales increase 15% in fourth quarter versus same quarter last year; Challenger, Charger and Durango up 27%, 3% and 22%, respectively, in fourth quarter
  • Strength of demand for Ram Commercial fleet vehicles gives the Ram ProMaster van its best-ever total sales in the fourth quarter, up 33% versus same period last year
  • Ram ProMaster City sees its best-ever retail sales in fourth quarter, up 102%; sees its second best total sales in the fourth quarter, up 83% versus same period last year
  • 2022 saw a record year in total sales within the U.S. commercial fleet channel across its vehicle portfolio, up 28% year over year; up 48% in the fourth quarter versus same quarter last year
January 4, 2023 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - FCA US LLC reports sales of 347,669 vehicles in the fourth quarter and 1,547,076 vehicles for 2022. Overall, total U.S. sales for the fourth quarter declined 16% while full-year results decreased 13%.

The company's total PHEV U.S. sales increased 26% year over year and 21% in the fourth quarter versus last year. Stellantis is setting the course for 50% passenger car and light-duty truck battery-electric vehicles (BEV) sales mix in the United States by the end of this decade.

“We saw strong demand for our PHEV offerings in the face of industry market conditions that carried across 2021 into 2022, including production constraints and a disruption of parts and materials in general, which adversely affected our overall sales,” said U.S. Head of Sales Jeff Kommor. “Sales of the Jeep® Wrangler 4xe increased 46% over last year, and the all-new Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe, introduced to the market late last year, accounted for 11% of the nameplate’s performance. As we look to 2023 and navigate the industry transformations that are occurring, we will continue to work closely with our customers to meet their demands and the needs of our dealer network.”

The Jeep Wrangler 4xe, the first-ever electrified Jeep Wrangler, remains America’s best-selling plug-in hybrid vehicle, with 43,176 (24%) of total Jeep Wrangler sales in 2022. Sales of the Wrangler 4xe increased 46% year over year, and 22% during the fourth quarter versus the same period last year.

The 2022 Grand Cherokee 4xe, which went on sale in late 2022, accounted for 5,813 (11%) of Grand Cherokee U.S sales in the fourth quarter. The vehicles represent the brand's start of its electrification strategy to provide new levels of efficiency, environmental responsibility, performance and capability, on and off the road.

Two of the first all-new electric SUVs that will launch in North America, the all-new, all-electric Jeep Recon and Wagoneer (code name Wagoneer S), were revealed as part of the brand’s 4xe Day on September 8, 2022.

The Jeep Compass increased 14% in total yearly sales versus 2021 and was up 9% in fourth quarter total U.S. sales versus same quarter last year. The new Grand Wagoneer and Wagoneer continue to gain sales momentum with the vehicles selling a combined 47,995 units in 2022.

The Dodge brand’s total U.S. sales in the fourth quarter increased 15% versus same quarter last year. The Dodge Challenger retained America’s No. 1 muscle car claim for the second consecutive year.

The brand also saw 2022 total U.S. sales of Dodge Challenger increase 1% and Dodge Charger up 2% versus 2021 calendar year. Challenger, Charger and Durango were up 27%, 3% and 22%, respectively, in the fourth quarter versus the same period last year.

In 2022, the brand also announced the Dodge Hornet, its first electrified vehicle; seven “last call” editions of the Dodge Charger and Dodge Challenger; and its all-electric Charger Daytona SRT Concept during the brand’s first-ever Speed Week event in August.

Dodge further extended its dominance as a compelling favorite, claiming the top spot among mass-market brands for the third straight year in the J.D. Power APEAL Study™. Dodge was first among mass-market brands for the third consecutive year – the only domestic brand ever to achieve such a streak.

Chrysler 300 total U.S. sales increased 15% in the fourth quarter versus the same period last year. Additionally, the new 2023 Chrysler 300C, which was announced during the return of the Detroit Auto Show this past September, saw reservations for the vehicle sell out in 12 hours.

The Pacifica Hybrid accounted for 14,392 (15%) of total Chrysler Pacifica sales of 98,624 in 2022.

The Chrysler brand ranked 11th among mass-market brands in the J.D. Power 2022 U.S. Sales Satisfaction Index (SSI) Study™ and climbed 28 points from 2021 – the greatest improvement in the mass-market segment.

Jeep Wrangler JL FCA US Reports Q4 and 2022 Full-Year Sales Results For Jeep Wrangler Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 11.25.59 AM
Sponsored

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
So Wrangler sales are down 11%.

I imagine that’s due to some combination of higher gas prices, higher sticker prices, higher interest rates, production bottlenecks, and the need for a mid-cycle refresh. So not very surprising at all, really.

I have long wondered how far manufacturers can push prices up. With higher interest rates making loans more expensive — and inflation biting every family’s budget — we’re beginning to find out.

Something that can’t go on forever, won’t.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
I don't know how this is all sustainable, I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I feel the financial pressure in everything. I guess I'm lucky to have gotten my '21 Sahara when I did, May '21 for 46K, which then was still the most expensive vehicle I have purchased by 10K! No way I could justify paying 50k, 60k, and up for a Wrangler or any vehicle. About 1000 better places for whatever money I have left over after inflation takes its huge bite...

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
So Wrangler sales are down 11%.

I imagine that’s due to some combination of higher gas prices, higher sticker prices, higher interest rates, production bottlenecks, and the need for a mid-cycle refresh. So not very surprising at all, really.
Don't forget the new Bronco has to be taking a chunk of Wrangler sales now too. I am starting to see them everywhere.

MayThe4x4BWU

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR
Occupation
IT Small Business Owner
After seeing this, I poked around the various websites of the brands listed.

I didn't even realize that Dodge had cut its lineup down to just 3 vehicles. And I'll be honest, I thought Fiat was long gone from the US market 😆

Looks like Stellantis might have some more trimming to do 😐

Overall, FCA US being at -13% compared to the industry projection of -8% seems about right with the instability of all things finance related. They always seem to have lagged behind even when the economy was doing "well".

Sponsored

Trololoty

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda cx-5
Wrangler sales will tank more. Stellantis will move 140k wranglers in 2023 max.

the mall crawler got too expensive. It’s been in entry level luxury vehicles territory for a couple of years now.

Jeep community can buy only 50k a year, the rest are mall crawler community who started looking elsewhere for their next fun vehicle.

Senrusho

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xE Robicon
Still selling a bunch of 4xEs. I'm interested to see what happens to those numbers now that the tax break is gone.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Dodge’s “success” is a moot point since Challenger, Charger and Durango are all reaching a dead end.

Bronco must have had some influence on Wrangler sales decline.

Stellantis keeps treating Wrangler like it is unsinkable: i.e., jacking up prices faster than inflation, charging for features that used to be standard, doing no mid-cycle refresh, ignoring ongoing quality problems, crummy dealer service, etc.

I have news for Stellantis: nothing is unsinkable. Not even Wrangler.

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Let’s see what happens this year when people aren’t getting a ridiculously good deal on their trade in meanwhile new/used prices are still inflated.

rcitone

First Name
Wen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I guess in 2023 in general there will be a new balance with less supply and less demand. More layoff and line cut from big companies. Price might goes down a little bit but still a lot higher than pre-covid. And people can afford less. If we think Wrangler as a hobby car, at the $60k price tag I suppose its sales will go down by quite a lot in 2023.

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
While sales are down, profits are most likely up. This is most likely an intentional change in strategy. Massive price increases, MSRP and above for most dealerships. Sell less vehicles but at higher profit margins.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
I'm amazed at how the general public seems to have become so numb to trillion dollar spending packages full of BS and cars that cost more than the average persons yearly salary, again simply isn't sustainable on any level...I cringe at how hard the landing is going to be...

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

One thing that's not really mentioned is that the 2022 Wrangler had a bit shorter of a production run than in other years. Jeep didn't start building 2022 models until December of 2021, which was a late start, and the 2023 model went back to a more normal September / October start date. The 2022 Wranglers really only had a 10 month production run, and I think the 2021 Wrangler had a longer run thus goofing up the numbers a bit more. Just a thought...

mike_g

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7
One thing that's not really mentioned is that the 2022 Wrangler had a bit shorter of a production run than in other years. Jeep didn't start building 2022 models until December of 2021, which was a late start, and the 2023 model went back to a more normal September / October start date. The 2022 Wranglers really only had a 10 month production run, and I think the 2021 Wrangler had a longer run thus goofing up the numbers a bit more. Just a thought...
I don' think the numbers are based on Model Year. It is for Calendar Year 2022.

chicknwaffles

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 rubicon
Let’s see what happens this year when people aren’t getting a ridiculously good deal on their trade in meanwhile new/used prices are still inflated.
easy. prices will fluctuate based on demand.

the cure for high prices is high prices.
Sponsored