Jay
    Vehicle(s):
    Wrangler
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    #1 Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    via https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/25/fiat-chrysler-jeep-car-sharing/

Fiat Chrysler plans to launch a trio of pilot programs in Boston aimed at boosting sales of its Jeep cash cow and other brands, according to media reports. The programs, which involve car-sharing and subscription services, are expected to roll out starting this month.

Bloomberg reported earlier this month that Jeep is launching two small pilot programs in Boston — one in which owners can rent out their Jeeps through peer-to-peer car-sharing startup Turo, the other a three-month subscription service in partnership with Avis Budget Group in which owners can swap their Jeeps for other vehicles, like a Ram 1500 pickup or a Dodge Challenger.

There's also a third program in the works, according to Motor Authority. It's called "Car Borrowing" and it's also a partnership with Avis. According to the report, it'll allow Jeep owners in Boston starting next month to purchase six "Jeep Coins," each good for a one-day rental of most Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram vehicles, valid for a year. Participants will be able to pick up the borrowed vehicles or have them delivered.

The former two programs will reportedly be limited to the first 100 owners who register for each. Jeep brand manager Tim Kuniskis says the programs will help develop new prospective customers and help generate customer feedback to see whether the programs are right for the brand and could be offered at the dealerships at the point of sale. [For the Turo pilot program, the 100 owners will be allowed to offset their monthly payments by renting out their Jeeps. Appropriately, the top shared vehicle on Turo is the Jeep Wrangler]. For the subscription pilot, Avis would supply the inventory, and participants would be able to swap models up to six times in three months, two with delivery and the remainder by picking them up. It wasn't clear what services would be offered with the program.

In a blog post, Turo CEO Andre Haddad said the "Jeep Freedom Experience" program was aimed at introducing Jeep enthusiasts to new models of mobility and was a natural fit, since Jeep models "have long been among the most popular vehicles for guests on Turo," and the Wrangler and Cherokee rank tops in the company's recent study ranking vehicles based on their potential return by sharing them on the platform. "As Turo hosts, Jeep buyers can get help covering their payments, offset the cost of ownership entirely, or even turn a profit," Haddad wrote. "These earnings open up the ability to afford a more upscale vehicle, whether it's with added options or a different model previously thought unattainable."

The partnership with Turo is similar to a pilot General Motors launched last summer with Maven, its car-sharing platform. Automakers including Volvo, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Porsche have all launched subscription pilot programs.

2. misanthrope

misanthrope Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Schwinn Homegrown
    Liked:
    Badass
    As to the first program, how is this different from me just listing my car on Turo for rental? I would then get paid and could use that money to offset anything I want, as money is accepted in many places...

3. OldMan&TheJeep

OldMan&TheJeep Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLU Sahara - Ocean Blue
    Liked:
    I live not too far outside Boston and they can stay the frick away from my Jeep! ;)

msujedi, Maverick909 and GreyFox like this.
  4. LincolnSixAlpha

LincolnSixAlpha Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Interesting ideas if nothing more. I know more than a few people who would love to have jeeps, but they are not in their sights due to financial obligations or otherwise. Since it's such a popular brand, would certainly allow for a bit more freedom for those who are not yet able to purchase such a vehicle.

5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brandy
    Vehicle(s):
    17 JKU, 19 JL
    Liked:
    I cringe letting my own kids drive my Jeep let alone a stranger. I would assume your insurance would need to be adjusted, because this is now no longer a personal vehicle or whatever the legalese is. Plus, people driving the piss out of it, stealing, eating in it, smoking, sex, who knows! *Shivers* ok I just scared myself.

sobeit69 and Dudley Dawson like this.
  6. Jocko

Jocko Member

Vehicle(s):
    Sting Gray JLUR
    Liked:
    I got an invite email on 1/17. No thank you! :)

The Wrangler tends to be such a personal vehicle that people get attached to. It seems like the last vehicle you’d choose to focus on with a program like this. But, hey, nothing wrong with Jeep doing some experimentation. If it doesn’t catch on, maybe they learn something in the process. Maybe for some types of owners this will be perfect? Not me tho! Haha.

7. #diesel

#diesel Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUR
    Liked:
    Nope.

8. misanthrope

misanthrope Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Schwinn Homegrown
    Liked:
    Badass
    #8 Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    I hear you, but look at it the way people look at an AirBnB: rent out your JL 10 days a month, and it gets paid for. The other 20 days it's yours for free.

Or, buy 2 (kind of not even kidding), and rent one out 20 days a month, and they're both yours for free and no one gets to drive your keeper.

Wranglers are booked an average of 14 days per month on Turo, with a daily rate of $90+. Turo provides insurance at takes between 15 and 35% of the rental rate, depending on how much protection you want. So, get a Rubi for yourself, a Sport S for Turo, and in 6 years, walk away with 2 JLs, or sell the Sport S for 70% of what you paid for it and put $30k back in your pocket.

If they offer this in my area, I would seriously consider it.

msujedi, Jeepmarkjl and Oilslick like this.
  9. wvgasguy

wvgasguy Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
    Liked:
    Retired
    I can't imagine letting other people, especially strangers, use my ride

10. Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    I rented a really nice JKU through Turo in Austin. Drove it for a lovely 3 day weekend in summer 2017. It helped me to decide if the Jeep negatives (wind noise, lack of luxury features, poor ride comfort, poor fuel economy, etc.) were too much to overcome all the positives, having never owned a Jeep before. Obviously not. I really like mine so far despite hiccups. I babied his Jeep as if it were my own, even washed it before returning it.

JohnAinVA likes this.
  11. parrotheadphan

parrotheadphan Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLU Sahara Firecracker Red, 3.6l, 8 spd auto
    Liked:
    Digital arts & photography teacher
    Garage Profiles:
    I can see how this might help someone decide one getting a Jeep or just getting their fix from time to time. However, I highly doubt I would ever let a complete stranger use my Jeep.

12. Joe98

Joe98 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle(s):
    2004 Ford Escape - Crimson
    Liked:
    #12 Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    In which case it would take 3-4 years to pay for itself. At which time you sell it second hand and the sales price would be your profit.

13. plex

plex Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR Billet Silver
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I won't even let my wife touch my JL, and I am going to whore it out to strangers? Hell no!

Unless FCA can throw lifetime warranty and $0 deductible insurance for free, I don't think this is going well.

14. TheRealTVGuy

TheRealTVGuy Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
    Liked:
    Was that John’s white one by chance??

15. Chocolate Thunder

Chocolate Thunder Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    No. Owners name is Tom and it was a gray 2014 JKU.