Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Glad it works for you, anything that gets people driving an EV is good in my book :) if it had better range I could see it working for me too. But for us, a standalone ev is a better commuter and light road trip car... My old leaf can't go too far between charges, but 80 miles is great for the work commute + a few hours of local errands etc. A 4xe wouldn't have enough electric range for me.
True a pure EV would be significantly better(& cheaper lol) than the 4xe, I thought about going the EV route, but that means driving a non Wrangler.

I have strayed a couple of times away from the Wrangler, only to regret it when I see one, for me personally I have to have a Wrangler, the Wrangler is the only vehicle I really like driving.

My typical driving is all low kilometer round trips, so the 4xe works well for me, and access to free chargers near me is a bonus.

Oh I also think adding more range would drive up the cost of the 4xe, but it could be an option for people willing to have extended range.
Sponsored

NC31

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
My daily is an EV (15 leaf). Phevs don't really make much sense. The only worthy use case is for towing (which is actually why I need a second car). However, unless I have enough range for my daily commute + errands, I'm burning gas... which is not what I want. A phev with 90+ miles of range could be sort of attractive. I know EVs can tow, but range is limited. I know it doesn't take long to charge, but using a Walmart parking lot charger isn't easy with a camper attached :(

The wear and tear of a fossil engine, transmission, components etc are a big part of why ev driving makes sense, though. I don't want my daily to have a bunch of moving parts to break. Until the average rest stop has pull through charging stations, I think it just makes more sense to have a standalone fossil as backup.

I'm not really convinced that the 4xe was a good car for anybody. Excited to see what jeep does with EVs in the future, though. A 2dr wrangler would be a much cooler daily than the old leaf!
The 4Xe has more power, more torque, better gas mileage, lower fuel prices, and with the tax credit it is cheaper than a comparably equipped gas or diesel version. It is also slightly more environmentally beneficial and it has new tech.

And that doesn't even get into the case of people with solar infrastructure at home or who have free charging at work or short commutes. In these cases even 20 miles of electric range can cover their daily driving while still enjoying all the benefits of a Wrangler.

I can understand if it doesn't make sense for you. I don't understand how you can think it is not a good car for anybody.

I think it is a good sign for the brand that electrification is being embraced. It will lead to a lot of exciting products in the future.

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
The 4Xe has more power, more torque, better gas mileage, lower fuel prices, and with the tax credit it is cheaper than a comparably equipped gas or diesel version. It is also slightly more environmentally beneficial and it has new tech.

And that doesn't even get into the case of people with solar infrastructure at home or who have free charging at work or short commutes. In these cases even 20 miles of electric range can cover their daily driving while still enjoying all the benefits of a Wrangler.

I can understand if it doesn't make sense for you. I don't understand how you can think it is not a good car for anybody.

I think it is a good sign for the brand that electrification is being embraced. It will lead to a lot of exciting products in the future.
The 4xe has had issues and I'm a hopeful skeptic. I ordered one initially because the test drive was awesome and my use case kind of works for it.

I bailed on my 4xe order when I saw the many problems and facing the reality that 4xe v2 will be 10x better than this one, which I suspect will make the 4xe resale plummet in 4-5 years.

But I am all for people showing the demand is there and I get why people like it. It's grounded and smooth to drive on gas and fun to drive in EV mode.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I'm not sure what you drove in college but for 65K for the 4xe, I could have bought the car I drove in college...seventy times!
I used the bus when someone stole my bicycle.

For the last decade at least, Toronto uni students are driving Lamborghinis, Ferraris and G wagens, some of the "poorer" ones drive Wranglers, Beemers, Mercs.

Seriously drive, through any top University parking lot and see what is parked there.

Sponsored

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
I used the bus when someone stole my bicycle.

For the last decade at least, Toronto uni students are driving Lamborghinis, Ferraris and G wagens, some of the "poorer" ones drive Wranglers, Beemers, Mercs.

Seriously drive, through any top University parking lot and see what is parked there.
I get that's true for some. My daughter goes to an ivy league school but she's driving our Toyota (which by the way is still 20x the car I first drove...as it's a meticulously maintained 5 year old RAV4 with 60K miles).

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
The 4xe has had issues and I'm a hopeful skeptic. I ordered one initially because the test drive was awesome and my use case kind of works for it.

I bailed on my 4xe order when I saw the many problems and facing the reality that 4xe v2 will be 10x better than this one, which I suspect will make the 4xe resale plummet in 4-5 years.

But I am all for people showing the demand is there and I get why people like it. It's grounded and smooth to drive on gas and fun to drive in EV mode.
I would chalk up the vast majority of "issues" to typical JL issues.

I am not saying some of the problems are not real, but anyone that owned a Jeep product would know that any Jeep niceness ends when you buy their product, and that is if you were even lucky enough to get any niceness during the sales process.

It's quite common for Jeep to tell customers to bugger off, not sure if this is the same with other manufacturers.

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
We are selling everything they send to us, they arent letting us order stuff for the lot so its pretty much customer requests and the ones they bail on before they get here. None of these figures mean anything at all to be honest

suchacrisis

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Silverado
Almost 1 in 5 Wranglers sold is a 4xe.

That is wild for a car that gets 25 miles on electric on a warm day. V2 will be a massive success,
I wager a big part of this are the insane lease deals of the 4xe basically since it released. I need a Gladiator for my needs more than a Wrangler, but even now it's a hard pill to swallow that if I just get a 4xe instead I could literally save 150-200/month for the same MSRP

Sponsored

Botanicalstig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na

Cheaper than a similar gas model, maybe? Not going to fact check you there. Solar? I mean, sure but it costs me less than $10/week to charge my leaf and I drive it MUCH more than you can drive a 4XE.

My leaf + sport were cheaper, togehter, than a 4xe. And I can drive much further, without breaking any fossil parts.

A full ev wrangler needs to be the goal. I don't think phevs will be in anyone's lots in 5-10 years.

It has gotten a few people more comfortable with driving electric, which I already stated was a good thing.... Just not really the best thing :)

NC31

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Cheaper than a similar gas model, maybe? Not going to fact you there. Solar? I mean, sure but it costs me less than $10/week to charge my leaf and I drive it MUCH more than you can drive a 4XE.

My leaf + sport were cheaper, togehter, than a 4xe. And I can drive much further, without breaking any fossil parts.

A full ev wrangler needs to be the goal. I don't think phevs will be in anyone's lots in 5-10 years.

It has gotten a few people more comfortable with driving electric, which I already stated was a good thing.... Just not really the best thing :)
I'm glad you like your Leaf. Some people, and work with me on this, aren't you.

40Caliber

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Rubicon
Is this the leaf forurm and no one told me? :LOL:

That's ok, I am hanging on to my archaic fossil fuel engine.

When you all switch to EV, Exxon Mobil will have no demand at the pumps and I'll be buying gas at 50 cents a gallon! time for a 392!!! :rock:

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
Almost 1 in 5 Wranglers sold is a 4xe.

That is wild for a car that gets 25 miles on electric on a warm day. V2 will be a massive success,
Its so cheap to lease its basically idiotic not to get one. That is literally THE reason they are selling so many.

I’m paying $13,500 to lease one for 3years. That’s every nickle out of my picket including all taxes and fees. It’s really closer to $10k without the taxes and fees. It’s by a massive margin the cheapest $62k vehicle to lease in the entire auto industry.

I’m actually selling my gmc sierra with an l86 to lease one. The lease cost of my new wrangler is about what I’d spend in fuel alone in the sierra.

I have not once in my life say inside a wrangler. Ordered my 4xe rubicon mid jan.

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
I'm not sure what you drove in college but for 65K for the 4xe, I could have bought the car I drove in college...seventy times!
Agreed! A 65K 4xe is not practical for a college student. I know I was pushing a pair of Nikes when I was in college.
Sponsored