Sponsored

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
FCA already has 3,000 franchised dealers; most of them are bursting at the seams. FCA must have calculated that it could sell a lot more Mopar accessories if they make it easier on customers to buy them and have them installed.
I suspect that's exactly it; it would be a way of having Mopar accessories pre-installed "at the factory" rather than having to rely upon dealers to do it.

While dealers would probably miss the opportunity to do so and make the profit, it is true that many dealers don't want to use their valuable service technicians to install accessories, yet don't sell enough to make it worthwhile to have a person on staff just to do accessory installs.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Assuming this new facility turns out to be for the very customizations described, I wonder if such additions will show up on that which your insurance company sees--to be replaced if the vehicle is LSD (lost/stolen/destroyed), or more like the things we add after purchase, which is on us to replace if LSD.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Assuming this new facility turns out to be for the very customizations described, I wonder if such additions will show up on that which your insurance company sees--to be replaced if the vehicle is LSD (lost/stolen/destroyed), or more like the things we add after purchase, which is on us to replace if LSD.
Merry Christmas Andy. I would assume if you get “the works” and bump a new Jeep up to 65-70k and these items are listed on your build sheet, the insurance company would have to cover it. Just don’t expect to pay what the guy buying a KIA pays.
I guess your question is will these add-on’s be on your build sheet?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It should be obvious that they are taking this from Ford's plans to compete with them. Other manufactures may have been doing this but those other manufactured vehicles haven't come gunning for Jeep nearly as strongly as Ford is.
Also likely why the Wrangler Hemi is going to be a reality.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Over 40 acres of land, buildings/structures, over 300 employees, machines, equipment and tooling just for “larger tires, lighting and side steps..??

I’m not buying that..
Probably 25 acres of production vehicle parking, another 10 for employee parking, and 5 for the plant.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I also didn’t think the acreage was too big to be true. If you research how many Jeep’s come off the line in a day, it’s really not that big.

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Pricing will be a factor. Quality control will also be a factor.

Mopar has a lift and a tailgate re-enforcement solution. People still purchase these products from after market suppliers. They do this even though they understand some dealers may see this as an issue re: vehicle warranty.

The products will need to prove themselves.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/12/28/jeep-in-house-customization-facility-toledo/

Jeep will deal a serious blow to the aftermarket by opening a customization facility near its factory in Toledo, Ohio. It's investing $23 million into the site, and it hopes selling turn-key modified 4x4s will create over 300 jobs.

Instead of starting from scratch, Jeep is redeveloping properties formerly occupied by vinyl manufacturer Textileather and ambulance service provider MedCorp, according to the Toledo Blade. These companies closed in 2009 and in 2013, respectively, laying off hundreds of workers. Jeep is paying $1 for the site, and it plans to build a 250,000-square-foot facility on it. The new unit will be operated by a supplier whose name hasn't been revealed. Mopar, the in-house tuner for Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) brands, might be its mysterious partner.

Similarly, we don't know exactly what Jeep plans to build. Bruce Baumhower, the president of the UAW local which represents workers at the company's Toledo plant, told the Blade that future customization options will include "bigger tires, bigger roll bars, different lights, customized running boards, and logo or customized paint jobs." It sounds like Jeep wants to give buyers the option of ordering an off-roader similar to the ones it sends to the annual Easter Safari without building it themselves, piece by piece, or going through an independent tuner.

Enthusiast website Muscle Cars & Trucks points out the Wrangler and the Gladiator will very likely be at the heart of the project. They're the Jeep models that are most often customized — finding a Wrangler that's 100% stock is easier said than done — and they're both manufactured in Toledo. In contrast, cars like the Cherokee and the Renegade are often left stock, and they're made in Illinois and Turin, Italy, respectively. Nothing suggests the site will exclusively cater to buyers in the market for a Wrangler or a Gladiator, however, and we suspect Jeep wouldn't be against the idea of building, say, a customized Grand Wagoneer if buyers are willing to pay for it.

Additional details about the site and the program will emerge in the coming months. Jeep confirmed the purchase but provided no additional details, so we don't know when the facility will be inaugurated.
I'd rather get something that was modified by FCA themselves rather than an outside party. This may guarantee better quality and be backed by an automotive warranty IMHO. I am a big believer in buy once cry once and have always valued quality over price for as long as it makes sense. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Sponsored

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
I’m also curious to hear how this story will develop, and what customizations will be done.

Warped

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW GSA, Harley RG, GC Summit Reserve, JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Work? What's that?
Just look at Harley-Davidson and their huge book of aftermarket parts. People buy what they want, when they want. Jeeps are the same. It will be another option and this may allow people to finance all their mods with the purchase of a new Jeep. Competition will help all of us with price and purchase decisions as well as options.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This is FCA’s attempt to retain some of the money flowing to a mosaic of aftermarket suppliers.

A key part of the Jeep ownership experience is the fun “journey” of researching, finding and installing parts and accessories that make a Jeep our own.

No doubt FCA will capture a chunk of that business. But I don’t see the aftermarket industry going away.

ValB

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon 392
I'm sure it will all be cosmetic. I would like to see them have a Dana 60 upgrade from the factory for the 392"s. I was adding it up , it's going to run me $17K to do the 60's on my 392, if it ever gets here!
Sponsored