Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota has been doing this for years.

When you bought a Scion or an FJ Cruiser, many of the options you ordered were installed at a Toyota facility at the port of entry. The same still happens with many of the options you order on a Tacoma, 4Runner or Tundra.

Some options, like sunroof and heated seats, are easier/cost effective installed at the assembly line. Other options, like mud flaps, rock rails, side steps, tonneau covers, optional wheels, are easily installed afterwards.

If anything, FCA will be cutting into its own dealers’ business. Which is just as well; dealers want an arm and a leg for things that take 20 minutes to install.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GregorioJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
The article said larger tires, lighting and side steps but I didn’t see anything about lift kits. My guess is they’re gonna be careful there. There’s no way they can deny a warranty if it came factory modded.
I agree with 4Low, this is just FCA keeping a stranglehold on the off-road market.
Lifts and suspension are a legal mess. Lift/frame/bumper/suspension heights vary by state and vehicle type. My state doesn't have a restriction on lift height, but bumpers have a 20" height limit for cars/SUV's. So a $100k Black Widow with a 6" lift may be ok, but a JLU with 35" tires and a 3.5" lift the distance to the bottom of the bumper is about 23" - illegal.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Lifts and suspension are a legal mess. Lift/frame/bumper/suspension heights vary by state and vehicle type. My state doesn't have a restriction on lift height, but bumpers have a 20" height limit for cars/SUV's. So a $100k Black Widow with a 6" lift may be ok, but a JLU with 35" tires and a 3.5" lift the distance to the bottom of the bumper is about 23" - illegal.
Also, anything that brings down FCA's CAFE numbers, like lifts and 35-inch tires, are best installed after they leave the factory. This way they are excluded from CAFE calculations.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The article said larger tires, lighting and side steps but I didn’t see anything about lift kits. My guess is they’re gonna be careful there. There’s no way they can deny a warranty if it came factory modded.
I agree with 4Low, this is just FCA keeping a stranglehold on the off-road market.
Guessing a lot of ALL white Sahara's rolling 24's..........................

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Also, anything that brings down FCA's CAFE numbers, like lifts and 35-inch tires, are best installed after they leave the factory. This way they are excluded from CAFE calculations.
And NHTSA regs. That’s why it will be done after final assembly, likely by a contractor. This also might allow Jeep, now Stellantis/Peugeot, to focus on quality since the assembly line could be more streamlined.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
And NHTSA regs. That’s why it will be done after final assembly, likely by a contractor. This also might allow Jeep, now Stellantis/Peugeot, to focus on quality since the assembly line could be more streamlined.
True.

There appears to be a LOT of opportunity to standardize and streamline production of these JLs.

The number of trim variants, different fenders, different bumpers, different grilles, etc., is out of control. Ultimately, they only add complexity and cost.

The head of PSA, Carlos Tavares, has a reputation for being no-nonsense, cutting through the BS, and cleaning up messes like this.

The Pointer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One
Toyota has been doing this for years.

When you bought a Scion or an FJ Cruiser, many of the options you ordered were installed at a Toyota facility at the port of entry. The same still happens with many of the options you order on a Tacoma, 4Runner or Tundra.

Some options, like sunroof and heated seats, are easier/cost effective installed at the assembly line. Other options, like mud flaps, rock rails, side steps, tonneau covers, optional wheels, are easily installed afterwards.

If anything, FCA will be cutting into its own dealers’ business. Which is just as well; dealers want an arm and a leg for things that take 20 minutes to install.
Yep, TRD Pro models get the upgraded equipment here in the states. The Pro models show as SR5 models if you search using the VIN.

GregorioJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Rear window defrosters that stay attached.

They could make a $1000 "Death Wobble Delete" option.

Jeep should also offer a $2000 "Start/Stop Delete" option - I don't know how many they'd sell without it.
Did you buy the glue kit for the defroster? I tried it and it actually worked.
Yeah two upgrades that are relatively inexpensive are replacing the air intake and exhaust. But the gas mileage is noticeably reduced at some rpms. Some states like California require decals and products have to be CARB certified. Some vendors have these, but it would be a huge headache to do any thing for the power train that could affect mileage/emissions.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Probably the reason the plant "... is to be operated by a supplier...". Likely a wholly, or majority FCA owned "supplier".

Sponsored

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
What took so long? They could have and should have been doing this for years now. People including myself would gladly buy a jeep lifted and ready to go day 1 and covered under the factory warranty.
It should be obvious that they are taking this from Ford's plans to compete with them. Other manufactures may have been doing this but those other manufactured vehicles haven't come gunning for Jeep nearly as strongly as Ford is.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
They probably saw the amount of markup attached the AEV's latest JL offerings and saw an easy profit margin.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Mopar accessories are pretty rich, too.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Right now the burden of installing Mopar accessories falls on dealers, customers and independent shops.

But everything about these vehicles is becoming increasingly complex. I just saw a video to install a front camera: you have to dismantle have the interior just to get to the back of the head unit.

Dealers want an arm-and-a-leg to install Mopar accessories in part because they are extremely busy; in part because they know installing anything on these vehicles is more complex than it seems. Even then, half the time dealers end up doing it wrong.

FCA already has 3,000 franchised dealers; most of them are bursting at the seams. FCA must have calculated that it could sell a lot more Mopar accessories if they make it easier on customers to buy them and have them installed.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
All we really know at this point, is that it is a fun time in the off-road vehicle market. Everyone is trying to position themselves in a market niche that no one is sure how the market will react.
Sponsored