Sponsored

FCA Merger effect on Jeep?

bullfrog3459

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Caliber (Sold), 2012 Black Dodge Journey, 2021 HellaYella Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
Network Administrator / Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
So I've looked around in the forums but haven't seen much talk about it. It looks like the PS and FCA merger was approved by shareholders and supposed to be finalized by the 16th. Any thoughts or projections on how Stellantis is going to go, especially for the Jeep side of operations?
Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram has been purchased several times throughout the years. They don't seem to mess with Jeep as it is a cash cow. I wouldn't be concerned.

OP
OP
bullfrog3459

bullfrog3459

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Caliber (Sold), 2012 Black Dodge Journey, 2021 HellaYella Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
Network Administrator / Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
There is an ongoing thread about the merger, haven't read through it yet.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...grees-to-merger-with-peugeot-owner-psa.40578/
Thanks. I saw it but was last updated in 2019 and nothing new really except a few posts in the forums about the merger.

Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram has been purchased several times throughout the years. They don't seem to mess with Jeep as it is a cash cow. I wouldn't be concerned.
Dan,

Maybe thats the problem. I know Chrysler and every brand it has been merged, sold, transferred, and required over many years. Jeep sells because its a Jeep. It took how many years to get a 392 and a 4xe? JL's and many of FCA's line up have quality issues. Is this merger going to help them any or do we think its going to make things worse?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
It's my understanding that Peugeot will have the majority of controlling votes, so essentially they are buying out FCA. There have not been any Peugeots for sale in the US since the 90s. It wouldn't surprise me to see Fiats go away and Peugeots show up for sale in the US, unless Stellantis sees a value in keeping Fiats for sale here. This will be interesting, as Peugeot had different alliances than FCA had. The Ford 3.0 PowerStroke, for example, is manufactured and designed in partnership with PSA.

It seems to me that PSA/Stellantis is expanding aggressively. The Italians allowed Jeep and Ram to run out of North America for the most part. Except Jeep got their lesser models underpinned with Fiat platforms. The 2.0 turbo is a Fiat engine. The 3.6 Pentastar is based on a design that was co engineered with DaimlerBenz.

One thing that is for sure, the only thing that is constant is change. The next generation of Wrangler will be greatly influenced by a new team of engineers and a new corporate management vision. Is that good or bad? Only time will tell.

One thing I find interesting about Stellantis, is that it will be Headquartered in The Netherlands. Perhaps to find a more favorable environment with less government intrusion?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupe_PSA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellantis

Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
Thanks. I saw it but was last updated in 2019 and nothing new really except a few posts in the forums about the merger.

Dan,

Maybe thats the problem. I know Chrysler and every brand it has been merged, sold, transferred, and required over many years. Jeep sells because its a Jeep. It took how many years to get a 392 and a 4xe? JL's and many of FCA's line up have quality issues. Is this merger going to help them any or do we think its going to make things worse?

I think the reincarnation of the Bronco will push Jeep, Stellantis, or whoever to innovate the Wrangler. If it wasn't for that, I'm guessing they would keep status quo as long as people like us are willing to pay good money for them.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
It is too bad a company can't simply buy the Jeep, Ram and Dodge brands from this new merged company, but they are the corporate jewels. Chrysler has one vehicle (Pacifica) and the rest of the Stellantis brands are all European I believe.

The other thing I wish would happen is entering an agreement with Tesla to get access to their motors, batteries, battery management and access to the charging network. Electrification is a given within the next five years and I would rather see Stellantis use quality products that are known quality versus an off-the-shelf solution from Continental or other OEM supplier.

I would also hope that the aftermarket would start working on a DIY solution so that those of us who have upgraded our vehicles and really don't want to have to buy another vehicle could simply pull the existing engine and fuel components and replace them with a motor, battery system and necessary charging components. I am hoping to see something at SEMA 2021 or 2022.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Carlos Tavares, head of PSA and CEO-elect of Stellantis, brings a stellar résumé. He turned around money-losing PSA in record time. He then took over money-losing Opel-Vauxhall from GM and had them turning a profit within months, something GM was unable to do for 20 years.

FCA is profitable but has many issues: 70% to 75% of global profits come from North America, namely Jeep and Ram; Fiat USA is an embarrassment; Chrysler and Lancia are almost dead and Dodge keeps losing significant market share; the Alfa Romeo relaunch stalled; CDJRF reliability and customer service remain at the bottom of the industry; FCA lags behind the competition in electrification, etc., etc.

Tavares turned around PSA by focusing on quality and customer service, and these are the areas where FCA lags.

PSA has been plotting a return to N.A. since 2015. My guess is Chrysler and Dodge provide an easier and cheaper path to the N.A. market without the time and expense of bringing Peugeot back.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
So I've looked around in the forums but haven't seen much talk about it. It looks like the PS and FCA merger was approved by shareholders and supposed to be finalized by the 16th. Any thoughts or projections on how Stellantis is going to go, especially for the Jeep side of operations?
The Jeep moniker has constantly been bought or merged upon throughout its existence (Willy to AMC to Chrysler to Stellantis). Dont be surprised if someone else owns Jeep like ten years from now (ex Toyota or Ford or VW or Honda, etc).

Regardless of ownership, nobody dares to touch the Jeep business model as it is such a big cash cow with a very loyal fan base.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
if you want to wish for someones electric tech, lets wish for that of Lucid Motors; that seems to be the next generation.

i hear they're currently testing out as among the quickest, fastest, and longest range electric vehicles and charge rapidly... we'll see when they hit the streets from a factory just south of you in a few months!

The other thing I wish would happen is entering an agreement with Tesla to get access to their motors, batteries, battery management and access to the charging network. Electrification is a given within the next five years and I would rather see Stellantis use quality products that are known quality versus an off-the-shelf solution from Continental or other OEM supplier.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
631, you forgot Kaiser and Renault. The CJ/Wrangler has been the halo that is Jeep. The other models are secondary and other than the XJ cherokee and the Grand Cherokees, are essentially meaningless. Mr Willys had a great idea when he decided to sell a civilian version of the WWII Jeep.

Last edited:

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
631, you forgot Kaiser and Renault. The CJ/Wrangler has been the halo that is Jeep. The other models are secondary and other than the XJ cherokee and the Grand Cherokees are essentially meaningless. Mr Willys had a great idea when he decided to sell a civilian version of the WWII Jeep.
The Compass / Commander / Patriot were an absolute horror show. WTF were they thinking?

The JGC sells like hotcakes and are really nice, though the platform is old and 2022 redesign is long overdue.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I'd like to see another unibody/integrated frame SUV along the lines of the original ZJ/XJs. Those were truly innovative and their basic design premise, although it lasted for 25 years, should not have been abandoned.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
It is too bad a company can't simply buy the Jeep, Ram and Dodge brands from this new merged company, but they are the corporate jewels. Chrysler has one vehicle (Pacifica) and the rest of the Stellantis brands are all European I believe.

I would also hope that the aftermarket would start working on a DIY solution so that those of us who have upgraded our vehicles and really don't want to have to buy another vehicle could simply pull the existing engine and fuel components and replace them with a motor, battery system and necessary charging components. I am hoping to see something at SEMA 2021 or 2022.
check this out: Tesla Motor Swap kit

Carlos Tavares, head of PSA and CEO-elect of Stellantis, brings a stellar résumé. He turned around money-losing PSA in record time. He then took over money-losing Opel-Vauxhall from GM and had them turning a profit within months, something GM was unable to do for 20 years.

FCA is profitable but has many issues: 70% to 75% of global profits come from North America, namely Jeep and Ram; Fiat USA is an embarrassment; Chrysler and Lancia are almost dead and Dodge keeps losing significant market share; the Alfa Romeo relaunch stalled; CDJRF reliability and customer service remain at the bottom of the industry; FCA lags behind the competition in electrification, etc., etc.

Tavares turned around PSA by focusing on quality and customer service, and these are the areas where FCA lags.

PSA has been plotting a return to N.A. since 2015. My guess is Chrysler and Dodge provide an easier and cheaper path to the N.A. market without the time and expense of bringing Peugeot back.
This is actually promising to hear. I think CJDR as a whole puts out some great vehicles, they just lack the customer support system. My fiasco with the clutch recall was infuriating because there was no information relayed to anyone while the dealer had my Jeep for about a month waiting on parts. If I could track a pizza from the oven to my door by the Domino's app, someone should be able to give something more about warranty parts for my vehicle than just "We don't know, we'll call you".
Likewise, all the horror stories I've read regarding dealers on this forum.
Sponsored