Sponsored

FCA lack of quality check

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I'm not happy with the issues I've had with the steering, visors and axle leaking. But I'm not ready to give up on it yet. If I did give up on it. I'd probably buy a early JKU and stick a LS in it and

When you monopolize a product type, you can charge a premium and get away with things a product in a competitive market couldn't. The thing that FCA is missing is that the largest part of their Wrangler sales are to people that drive them on the street only or just down a dirt road occasionally. They are in the SUV market. They just seem to be ignoring that fact. But then when did the pentastar ever stand for quality? Not in my lifetime.
Some people say the Pentastar is proven and reliable. Tell that to anyone who suffered head or cooling issues. And it seems FCA has not completely eliminated the valve train issues with rockers on the JL.
Sponsored

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Half of the problems are the independently owned dealerships. Many of the FCA brand dealerships are incompetent.

Modern Ferraris are pretty reliable. They are not driven much though. Average annual miles for a Ferrari in the Midwest is about 1200 miles. They do get you one way or the other. The service is a little tough to swallow even if there are no mechanical break downs. It cost about $15K-$20K for a routine 5 year service on a F355.
I see a lot of Ferraris, Lambos, McLarens, and about every other exotic, running up and down the street behind my house. I live at the bottom of the hill, where all the expensive cars have to drive by my ghetto upper middle income house. I think the mileage driven might be a bit higher here, but still small compared to the average commuting POS. That's probably because the people that own them spend long hours trying to make a lot of money to pay for them and they drive their more sensible car to work.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Some people say the Pentastar is proven and reliable. Tell that to anyone who suffered head or cooling issues. And it seems FCA has not completely eliminated the valve train issues with rockers on the JL.
I'm just hoping to be able to fix and tolerate what goes wrong with my JL, so I can enjoy it. If not, it goes down the road for something else. Truth be known, for my bird hunting, I was getting by with the big crewcab pickup. But wanted to have something a bit more nimble/smaller, and we're now thinking about a motorhome, which a Wrangler would tow nicely behind.

Smoke ā€˜Em

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLR
OP, life is short, if youā€™re not happy trade them in. All manufacturers have lemons, yes, even Toyota. Ive been happy with my JLR, but if I wasnā€™t itā€™d be gone in 30 mins at a dealership for something else Iā€™d enjoy. Iā€™ve watched friends go through the lemon and buy back processed and itā€™s too time consuming for me. I just trade off anything Iā€™m not thrilled with. Life is short, the only thing you canā€™t replace is time lost.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This is my biggest beef with FCA. I have no illusions that they'll try to improve their lackluster quality, but as an auto manufacturer, it's incredible how poorly they treat their customer base. Jeep puts an amazing amount of time and energy into marketing their products, especially their concept vehicles, at events like EJS and SEMA. However, once their product is off the lot and the keys are in your hands, their attitude is you can pretty much go fuck yourself.

This is exactly why I'm hopeful the Bronco kicks ass when it debuts.
Because Fords never have problems? Fix Or Repair Daily. Been the saying for decades. If Bentley can have issues why expect every other manufacturer not to have issues. My Continental GT has been in the shop for 6 months waiting for an engine from the UK. I've had to drive my Silver Cloud instead.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not happy with the issues I've had with the steering, visors and axle leaking. But I'm not ready to give up on it yet. If I did give up on it. I'd probably buy a early JKU and stick a LS in it and

When you monopolize a product type, you can charge a premium and get away with things a product in a competitive market couldn't. The thing that FCA is missing is that the largest part of their Wrangler sales are to people that drive them on the street only or just down a dirt road occasionally. They are in the SUV market. They just seem to be ignoring that fact. But then when did the pentastar ever stand for quality? Not in my lifetime.
Wards Auto ranks one of the Pentastar engines in world's top 10 engines list. But I'll bet FCA bribed them to say that, right?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Because Fords never have problems? Fix Or Repair Daily. Been the saying for decades. If Bentley can have issues why expect every other manufacturer not to have issues. My Continental GT has been in the shop for 6 months waiting for an engine from the UK. I've had to drive my Silver Cloud instead.
I'm not suggesting other manufacturers don't have issues, but FCA is pretty much at the bottom and certainly much worse than Ford. I simply want more competition in the ring so that FCA pays a little more attention to obvious flaws and issues they seemingly ignore.

FCA quality is utter shit across the board. I have a Challenger Scat Pack I have taken meticulous care of and my girlfriend's Subaru Legacy that's two years older and has been abused much more is in phenomenally better shape.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not suggesting other manufacturers don't have issues, but FCA is pretty much at the bottom and certainly much worse than Ford. I simply want more competition in the ring so that FCA pays a little more attention to obvious flaws and issues they seemingly ignore.

FCA quality is utter shit across the board. I have a Challenger Scat Pack I have taken meticulous care of and my girlfriend's Subaru Legacy that's two years older and has been abused much more is in phenomenally better shape.
And I've had three Jeeps with no problems so guess mine aren't on the same board. Maybe it is the karma of the owner that the Universe is repaying.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Mine's been great, only total POS that I've owned in 42+ years was a 73 Chevy Blazer, and I've owned over 30 vehicles in that time.

FWIW my JL has not even a minor glitch, it's been flawless, and even the steering is sublime :)

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
And I've had three Jeeps with no problems so guess mine aren't on the same board. Maybe it is the karma of the owner that the Universe is repaying.
And my JL has been fantastic as well. It's been, hands down, the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. That doesn't negate FCA as a brand with an abysmal history of quality control.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18ā€™ Toyota 4Runner
I, like you felt robbed with my JEEP. I really wanted to love it and honestly I did. It was awesome. Until the problems happened after I hit 16k miles.. Yes I was one of those that defended JEEP early on saying mine was perfect. It could be that I had a 2018 (July build) so it was relatively new. I had a lot of electrical problems with it. Cluster Died, UConnect random restarts, Battery Charging system failed. Not to mention The steering really was shit on it despite what people on here think. The Steering really is bad imo. ANd yes Iā€™ve had SFA vehicles before so stop with the oh you just arenā€™t used to a solid axle setup.

I wont bad mouth JEEP though. For what it is, the drivetrain was awesome. They knocked it out of the park with 8spd. I wish my Tacoma had a transmission that good. My main issue now is that they are selling these wranglers at a price point that should not have all these QC issues and people keep buying them at these ridiculous prices.

To the OP. Itā€™s a shame youā€™re going through this. Honestly if I were you Iā€™d ask for a buy back and walk to another dealership and brand of vehicle. Youā€™re going to get attacked by hard core jeepers. They will say youā€™re the problem despite having a vehicle that really was a POS.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
And I've had three Jeeps with no problems so guess mine arenā€™t...Maybe it is the karma of the owner that the Universe is repaying.
I couldnā€™t agree more.

With the exception of the transmission problem, the OP doesnā€™t need to complain. He would do good to lose the bad attitude real quick. There are others on this forum whoā€™ve dealt with issues that are far worse than what heā€™s had to deal with.

Vehicles are a combination of parts by hundreds of suppliers. Sometimes suppliers have bad product and sometimes that product gets handed down to the consumer.

Which is why when the consumer takes it to the dealership mechanic, they donā€™t know how to fix it. Iā€™m not an employee of Jeep or FCA but I know enough about their manufacturing process to say that the plants are where parts come together, get wrenched and assembled.

If a screw is loose or missing, raise hell and blame Jeep - they then deserve it. If they put the vehicle together thru shoddy means, hold them accountable. But if their suppliers supply bad product, hold the suppliers accountable.

Sad that Jeep or any other manufacturer is unfairly held accountable for the shortcomings of their suppliers.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Sad that Jeep or any other manufacturer is unfairly held accountable for the shortcomings of their suppliers.
No itā€™s not sad. All engineering companies have suppliers and they are all held accountable for the end product.

Fiat is at bottom of quality and itā€™s their job to fix not ours to understand itā€™s really hard.... lol

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
... Fiat is at bottom of quality and itā€™s their job to fix not ours to understand itā€™s really hard....
That attitude breeds frustration when people, places and things donā€™t pan out according to expectations or perceived expectations of how things ā€œshould beā€.

As for Fiat being as bad as suggested, why continue to support them with money? Why not sell off your Wrangler and take chances with another vehicle and different manufacturer?

The OP has allowed his emotions to overcome his ability to reason and his English notwithstanding, has lost his ability to seek to understand, differentiate and find a healthy way to problem solve.

Ignorance is NOT bliss. If an OEM supplier shits the bed and the consumer has to pick up the slack for it, that supplier needs to be held accountable.
Sponsored