First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Don't Rubicon hi-line fenders exist specificallt to allow the owner to put at least 35s on without a lift and also to provide a rub-free off road experience?

This would be like if estwing made a hatchet with multiple larger head and blade options but then refused to replace it under warranty because it broke while you were chopping wood with it.
Some of the earlier JLUR sales literature claimed it was Ready for 35" tires or something similar. In some states/countries advertising such would hold a dealer to not use 35" tires for grounds for warranty troubles.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Don't Rubicon hi-line fenders exist specificallt to allow the owner to put at least 35s on without a lift and also to provide a rub-free off road experience?

This would be like if estwing made a hatchet with multiple larger head and blade options but then refused to replace it under warranty because it broke while you were chopping wood with it.
I haven’t actually encountered dealers giving people shit about 35s yet. I have 35s and has been to the dealer couple of times without issues.

So I would say, the line is more or less drawn at 37, and generally, if you have gone to 37s and up, you probably also regeared and replaced a lot, if not all of the related drive-train components as well.

Last edited:

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
My 35s on alloy rims weigh 7lbs more than OEM 33” Falkens on steel rims. Negligible difference for the Dana 44s. So Jeep did as much as they could to be accomodating without inviting costly repair work from excessive wear of 37s

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
The raised height of your vehicle made it ride in line with the same height that the typical bugs, bees, mosquitos and wasps fly in. Therefore, no warranty or soup for you. :giggle:

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Just curious: Those that think FCA is being unreasonable, at what point do you draw the line on wheel size? If 37s should be covered, what about 40s? I suspect that 35s are the ceiling for FCA's blessing (if that).

We all roll the dice in terms of mods versus warranty.
when i took my jeep in for recall work the service guy said theyre not worried about 35s... of course, they could always change that tune if i brought it in with issues on 35s.
Thats why i put my stock wheels back on just in case. After i put mopar lift on, ill throw stock rubi wheels/tires on and hope for the best (if warranty repair needs to be done).

i feel for you OP. I got shut down by Ford like that on my cobra many years ago for a tranny. Cost me $2k to have my buddy throw in a part out trans. I tried to argue that they have to connect my trans issue to my short shifter which they based the denial on. They basically said, no we dont. If you dont like it sue us.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
i'm going out on a limb here. yes dealership gets paid for any warranty work even recalls. but dealers ( not just jeep) i've been to or heard of bitch about them and or do a half @$$ job on the work. this have happen to me on 2 different vehicles. with that kind of service bound to new management or out of business which have happened in my area with a few dealerships.
Dealerships get paid fixed rates for warranty and recall work. The rate is considerably lower then what the dealer normally charges.

Lapis

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
Just curious: Those that think FCA is being unreasonable, at what point do you draw the line on wheel size? If 37s should be covered, what about 40s? I suspect that 35s are the ceiling for FCA's blessing (if that).

We all roll the dice in terms of mods versus warranty.
While I'm not saying that FCA is being unreasonable, (Though some of OP's dealership experience certainly sounds unreasonable) the line IMHO should be "Did the larger tires/re-gear/whatever cause the issue." If I put larger tires on, and that breaks something, then ABSOLUTELY that's on me, but companies seem to want to take a stance of "You put larger tires on so now we're going to refuse to look at anything."

Now if the dealer looks at it and says, yeah, the larger tires are causing the computer to misread the speed so it won't connect the front axle, then I'd say it's on OP to pay for a fix and even a diagnostic fee. But if it wind's up being oh, there's a bad solder joint/loose plug that's having a connection issue when it heat's up. That should be on FCA, Both of these are just examples, obviously.

Once again though, I'm curious to know if the computer was re-calibrated for the 37's

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
Hmm, with all this information it makes me question whether or not I should go ahead with my idea of lifting the jeep 3.5 inches and slapping on 37 in tires. My service representative said no problems with the lift as far as the warranty is concerned. But honestly nothing was said about bigger tires. Even though this dealership sells lifted Gladiators and Rubicons with 37 inch tires and lifting. All this definitely makes one pause and rethink the whole idea.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Stormin’ Moorman

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I herd from 2 different dealers. FCA does not like Tazers and will void warranty if it's installed.
They suggested I get a programmer to correct for wheel size. Lol.

OP
OP
Stormin’ Moorman

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think 37s were the only issues here, right? I think he also regeared and Tazer’d and and a whole bunch of mods including an entire suspension lift, I’m not taking any sides, but I can sort of imagine the dealer take one look under the Jeep and be like yea nothing is OEM here, so.. nope!

With that said I’d probably face a similar issue with my dealer if my Jeep were to ever encounter these sort of issues.
I agree with this. If I brought my Jeep and had broken it due to the mods I made I would never expect them to fix it. That’s chicken shit. But my Jeep is throwing codes based on a total of 5 sensors. One we never touched and the 4 ABS sensors. They couldn’t give me any reason how the 37s caused this that they (the Jeep mechanics) didn’t rule out after some poking around.

At the end of the day they Couldn’t specifically say what modification caused the malfunction. That’s why they told me “aftermarket stuff”. It was just an excuse to stop working on it. And that’s kind of the point of this post. I’m not but hung because they cancelled my warranty, it’s expired now anyway I’m pissed that it is just an excuse.

OP
OP
Stormin’ Moorman

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
While I'm not saying that FCA is being unreasonable, (Though some of OP's dealership experience certainly sounds unreasonable) the line IMHO should be "Did the larger tires/re-gear/whatever cause the issue." If I put larger tires on, and that breaks something, then ABSOLUTELY that's on me, but companies seem to want to take a stance of "You put larger tires on so now we're going to refuse to look at anything."

Now if the dealer looks at it and says, yeah, the larger tires are causing the computer to misread the speed so it won't connect the front axle, then I'd say it's on OP to pay for a fix and even a diagnostic fee. But if it wind's up being oh, there's a bad solder joint/loose plug that's having a connection issue when it heat's up. That should be on FCA, Both of these are just examples, obviously.

Once again though, I'm curious to know if the computer was re-calibrated for the 37's
So I have a taser and reprogrammed it for 37s and 4.88 gears. I let them look at it both programmed and not programmed. It didn’t make a difference. I also discovered that the speedo is correct in that wheel size/ gear combination so you actually don’t need a Tazer if you just want to have your speed accurate.

I really feel like a sensor is broken and that’s the issue. I’ll find out soon enough.

Suchestom

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 1988 YJ, 1983 CJ8, 1979 CJ7
There are Federal laws governing Warranty. The modification has to cause the failure to deny the warranty. The dealership can deny, you have to decide if their logic is incorrect and if its worth an attorney and ASME certified mechanic to sue for damages and attorney fees for a denied claim that was valid. As far as throwing wheel sensors at the problem, don't without hooking to a scan tool and checking them. A good tool allows for looking at all the sensors data simultaneously to see if one is sending false information. Change the one out of range. A sensor, or wiring damaged in the re-gearing process would not be covered under warranty. You need someone with dealer level scantool capability to check your jeep. If you are into doing things yourself check out autoenginuity's computer based scantool. You have to subscribe to FCA security with a compatible scan tool to do much with the 2018 plus models, or send the ECM off and have the security removed.
Sponsored