FCA just cancelled my warranty because of "aftermarket stuff"

PullmeSideways1341

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Treading into dangerous water here with an opinion that likely won’t be well received.

Pointing to other modified vehicles on lot doesn’t hold water. Just because dealer sells it doesn’t mean FCA backs it. Likely dealer is rolling the dice with a margin and or marketing play. If something goes sideways, the dealer eats it from original customer who purchased vehicle. Customer never knows who paid the bill.

Point #2 - when you modify it’s always a roll of the dice. Just how it is. Specifics and laws are fun to debate, but reality is Jeep is broke and however this shakes out no one will be be a happy camper.

I’ve worked at an OEM for over a decade and spent a good amount of time on the front line working with dealers, customers and the OEM.

PS - we should all refrain from the dealer doesn’t want to do the work; word tracks. Dealers love warranty work - specifically they love warranty work they know the OEM will reimburse them for.
Cheers!!!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stormin’ Moorman

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Did you let them know that the issues were caused by your friend trying to regear your jeep?
We didn’t cause anything. The only electronic part we touched was the FAD, and that’s been replaced. It’s brand new. Maybe an ABS sensor got damaged but those go out all the time. All I said was that it started after the re-gear but I’m not sure exactly when. So stop being an asshat and implying a bunch of bullshit you don’t know anything about.

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
37" tires belong on tractors! sorry but that's my take.:surprised:

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
I bet his fuses under the hood came loose and the Main ground wire to frame needs to be scraped to metal and tighten back down.
Maybe?

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Personally if people are so pissed off at their dealer and FCA, why do they bother to buy another product? 80% of the whiners on here should never buy another Jeep product....period.
i hear what you are saying. but its not just jeep. it can be any other brand out there. this is my 2nd jeep (first was a 07 grand cherokee). so when the gc shit a brick i was bummed, but i've wanted a wrangler despite the fact that fca customer service is crap. i've had good result in owning a jeep (and others) and would go out and get another one tomorrow.

jeep have changed hands and the loyalty of services for the jeep have change too today economy. like i mention in an earlier post. back in the days jeep honored any wrangler (modded or not) repairs or services because jeep knew what jeeper are going to use it for. todays time fca doesnt see it and that where the negativity is come in. we all love our jeeps and will use it other than just a mall crawler.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Just curious: Those that think FCA is being unreasonable, at what point do you draw the line on wheel size? If 37s should be covered, what about 40s? I suspect that 35s are the ceiling for FCA's blessing (if that).

We all roll the dice in terms of mods versus warranty.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I complained about how terrible the service was. 19 days and they never put a wrench on my Jeep. They lied to me several times, and I caught them. The problems are related to sensors and not mechanical. They honestly tried to solve the issue for about half a day, then gave up. They told FCA they couldn't fix it because of my tires and FCA told me to get lost.

I honestly don't give a shit about the warranty, I knew I was rolling the dice when i modded the Jeep. But I don't like being lied to or cheated.

i hear you. like i've mentioned before jeep is a great product and would go out and get another one in a heartbeat. its the service side of things that fca is failing on and how easy they can flag anyone's jeep. it is ridiculous that the jeep sat in the shop for 19 days and no answers.

a buddy of mine had his ram 1500 in the shop for 28 days and couldnt figure out were the metal squeek was coming from. he was close to a lemon law deal until they changed a bushing of some sort, just to get rid of him. during the 28 days the shop unbolted every aftermarket stuff he had on it claiming that was the problem ( which it wasnt). he filed a claim, fca looked into it and found the shop was an @$$hole and gave my buddy a full life time warranty for everything regardless what he does to the truck. he took it. that was 3 years ago. he had to take the truck in due to a busted fuel line and the dealer replaced it at no charge.

so stormin you will find the problem and will be up and running in no time.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
PS - we should all refrain from the dealer doesn’t want to do the work; word tracks. Dealers love warranty work - specifically they love warranty work they know the OEM will reimburse them for.
i'm going out on a limb here. yes dealership gets paid for any warranty work even recalls. but dealers ( not just jeep) i've been to or heard of bitch about them and or do a half @$$ job on the work. this have happen to me on 2 different vehicles. with that kind of service bound to new management or out of business which have happened in my area with a few dealerships.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Curious how this turns out. My jeep was on the lot with a mopar 2" and 37s. The dealer installed and has not given me any issues with warranty. However, the only warranty issues I have had were related to the install of the lift. ha. There has to be something else that they are relating to the lockers though. Like a tazer or something. We have the worst local dealers but they wouldn't deny for tires only. However, once I re-gear, I'm probably not going to get any help with anything.
I herd from 2 different dealers. FCA does not like Tazers and will void warranty if it's installed.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Yup. That’s how they do it.

It is key to keep this in mind when FCA sends you those fancy letters offering you an extended warranty.

Mine go straight in the trash. They ain’t worth the paper they are printed on.
same here. never bother with it. dont plan on doing it. knock on wood, every vehicle i've owned didnt reqiure and extended warranty work.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Just curious: Those that think FCA is being unreasonable, at what point do you draw the line on wheel size? If 37s should be covered, what about 40s? I suspect that 35s are the ceiling for FCA's blessing (if that).

I don’t think 37s were the only issues here, right? I think he also regeared and Tazer’d and and a whole bunch of mods including an entire suspension lift, I’m not taking any sides, but I can sort of imagine the dealer take one look under the Jeep and be like yea nothing is OEM here, so.. nope!

With that said I’d probably face a similar issue with my dealer if my Jeep were to ever encounter these sort of issues.

Last edited:

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
We didn’t cause anything. The only electronic part we touched was the FAD, and that’s been replaced. It’s brand new. Maybe an ABS sensor got damaged but those go out all the time. All I said was that it started after the re-gear but I’m not sure exactly when. So stop being an asshat and implying a bunch of bullshit you don’t know anything about.
Thanks for the laugh. Hope you get it figured out.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I had a more positive experience with a dealership lately. Axle clunk/vibration developed while on a trail. Took it to dealer. They disassembled and found FAD issues - broken collar, fork, and sheered axle splines.

No issues - replace from axle assembly under warranty. Not a word over the modifications to the jeep (significant mods). They just asked me to bring in the stock diff cover for them to put back on to send picture to FCA before shipping.

I thought wow - awesome service!

Then it turned out replacement axle was ~2 weeks to arrive. Then many days to get it installed.

Got Jeep back and pretty much everything they could fuck with they did. Took shit apart that had nothing to do with the front axle. Every single adjustable suspension part they messed with. Took a day and half to pull it all apart, clean it up, and get it back together with the right settings.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban

Don't Rubicon hi-line fenders exist specificallt to allow the owner to put at least 35s on without a lift and also to provide a rub-free off road experience?

This would be like if estwing made a hatchet with multiple larger head and blade options but then refused to replace it under warranty because it broke while you were chopping wood with it.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I’m not taking any sides, but I can sort of imagine the dealer take one look under the Jeep and be like yea nothing is OEM here, so.. nope!
Same here. When the JK came out, the Jeep appealed to a broader and much wider audience. Of course sales were beyond what any suit could have predicted. And forums like this were around for new jk owners to post.

Those of us with YJs and TJs would post on those forums and inform buyers that those really cool mods that they did to their JK Jeep may also be an excuse for the dealer to refuse to service and or warranty any work or part if they determined that the modification was the cause of failure for the said item.

As one might imagine, this was alarming to many new, clueless owners. But we knew because our sweet TJ’s and YJ’s that were modded to be trail prepped and ready carried no warranty. Dealerships would charge an arm and a leg to service and aptly earned the nickname STEALERships among the community.

But I digress. I’m definitely NOT saying this is @Stormin’ Moorman case. At all.

The TJ is a different beast than the JK and JL. If 4WD refuses to engage after 20minutes, there has to be a sensor or sensors somewhere within the system that are shutting down due to either excessive heat or the path to them is being clogged... and then they’re throwing the codes.

Keep us posted what the issue turns out to be.
Sponsored