Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I don't even know why the 7" unit exists. You're manufacturing an entirely different line of electronics just to shave off less than an inch of screen? How much do you want to bet the production cost between the 7" and 8.4" units are probably negligible?
The 7” and 8.4” screens are there to create instant visual “differentiation.” The hope is that, regardless of specific features, most consumers will want the larger screen, prompting us to pay much more for it. Their intent is precisely that the additional price for the option is way more than the added cost to manufacture, increasing their profits.

This kind of stuff pisses me off about automakers.

The new Ram pickup offers this optional ginormous center screen. It is a very expensive option, yet it doesn’t offer any significant additional features over the regular dial and knobs, besides looking “cool.” But it is a sales success. Many buyers are willing to pay a ton more money to get the “cool look” of the giant screen. In fact, it probably costs FCA less to produce the large screen since it doesn’t need to install real buttons and knobs. Add to that, that actual dials and knobs are less likely to break than an electronic screen.
Jeep Wrangler JL FCA just cancelled my warranty because of "aftermarket stuff" 1591881908440
Sponsored

Last edited:

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The 7” and 8.4” screens are there to create instant visual “differentiation.” The hope is that, regardless of specific features, most consumers will want the larger screen, prompting us to pay much more for it. Their intent is precisely that the additional price for the option is way more than the added cost to manufacture, increasing their profits.

This kind of stuff pisses me off about automakers.

The new Ram pickup offers this optional ginormous center screen. It is a very expensive option, yet it doesn’t offer any significant additional features over the regular dial and knobs, besides looking “cool.” But the option is a success. Many buyers are willing to pay a ton more money to get the “cool look” of the giant screen. In fact, it probably costs FCA less to produce the large screen since it doesn’t need to install real buttons and knobs. Add to that, that actual dials and knobs are less likely to break than an electronic screen.
Jeep Wrangler JL FCA just cancelled my warranty because of "aftermarket stuff" 1591881908440
Not only but it was Scotty Kilmer (and I can't believe I'm using him to support an argument) that got me thinking about how relatively unsafe touch screens are because there's no tactile feedback.

I'm not in favor of heavy handed government intervention in the name of "safety" but I would not cry if there's some pushback on touch screens for safety reasons. A knob, you can generally find by feel or a much QUICKER glance than a random place on a flat screen, and you can keep track of it by feel even over bumps in the road.

I don't consider myself a Luddite but the fact is our bodies and minds operate on tactile feel, 'tis just a fact. I prefer knobs for many things like volume and most HVAC controls

And I still want my BRIGHTS control to STAY pushed forward so I can tell BY FEEL if my brights are on, FCA! After a long day in terrible road conditions just taking my eyes off the road for a second means another 1-2 seconds for my contacts to re-focus on the road when I'm tired and my eyes are dry....

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Oh, I totally understand that and it's certainly nothing new in the industry. But the 7" unit is so massively different than simply a smaller screen, yet functions virtually the same on the outside, that I wonder how much development cost FCA pisses away just to save an inch. The customer is going to notice the screen difference, but all the hardware differences will be completely invisible to them.

Of course, switching to Android for their next version of UConnect is probably the solution here.

I don't consider myself a Luddite but the fact is our bodies and minds operate on tactile feel, 'tis just a fact. I prefer knobs for many things like volume and most HVAC controls
This is one thing I like about the Wrangler and don't like about my Challenger. I can completely work all HVAC controls and modes from the knobs and buttons without touching the screen at all. I can't switch modes on my Challenger without the screen.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
Several years ago in Moab, I had a 6 month old Detroit Locker grenade on me. I limped (highly modified CJ7 with full floating axles and lockout hubs at all 4 wheels) back to Moab 4x4 Center in 2WD. They called Detroit and they refused to honor their warranty because the locker failed due to it being used off road. Seriously, where do they place advertising, 4WD magazines. Moral of the story, FCA isn't the only one that will use excuses to not honor your warranty. Many others do too.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
The dealership said they got this from FCA, but i have been unable to reach them yet. All the Jeep dealerships around me are owned by the same company (Step One Auto), that's why i brought it to Toyota.
Contact Jeep Cares possibly they can help you out .

Sponsored

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Lol. Every part I've installed far surpasses the quality of anything Mopar makes. Of course your dealership told you that, how do you think they make their money?
Extension/continuity of warranty is one of the things baked into the price of all MOPAR parts.

In exchange for purchasing a MOPAR mod, they promise to cover damage caused by it.

I haven't checked of late, but at least a few years ago this was also reciprocal - if you had a MOPAR accessory installed at delivery, it would be covered by the new car warranty, not the warranty you get if you buy the part and install it yourself.

Third party vendors could do the same, if they could make the numbers work.

Third party companies that mod sports cars have long done the same - when you have your vehicle modded by them, the manufacturer will no longer cover it under warranty but the company doing the modding does.

I just left the dealer 5 minutes ago. They had a Rubicon out front on display with 37 inch tires, 6 inch lift, skid plates, modified fender wells, winch, all kinds of suspension modifications, all the gas shocks, etc. It was damn near $80k. And you telling me it doesn't have a warranty... No way on this planet my friend. The only way they could void your warranty is to prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that a "third party" piece of gear caused the entire problem. And it is up to them to prove it, it isnt for you to defend yourself. Make them prove it. I thin you got a couple bad sensors or one bad sensor pulling the power down to the other sensor. Morons
I'd be shocked if there wasn't fine print for dealer-installed mods that didn't say the same - the warranty coverage is through the dealer, not FCA, and therefore only the selling dealer will honor any associated warranty.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

Extension/continuity of warranty is one of the things baked into the price of all MOPAR parts.

In exchange for purchasing a MOPAR mod, they promise to cover damage caused by it.

I haven't checked of late, but at least a few years ago this was also reciprocal - if you had a MOPAR accessory installed at delivery, it would be covered by the new car warranty, not the warranty you get if you buy the part and install it yourself.

Third party vendors could do the same, if they could make the numbers work.

Third party companies that mod sports cars have long done the same - when you have your vehicle modded by them, the manufacturer will no longer cover it under warranty but the company doing the modding does.

I'd be shocked if there wasn't fine print for dealer-installed mods that didn't say the same - the warranty coverage is through the dealer, not FCA, and therefore only the selling dealer will honor any associated warranty.
This is no longer the case with the Mopar warranty. Terms are listed here: https://www.mopar.com/content/dam/mopar/pdf/warranty/mopar_parts_accessories_warranty_statement.pdf

You get a 24 month Mopar warranty. If the part is installed by a third party, you get up to $150 in labor as part of the warranty. If the part is installed by an FCA approved facility, it doesn't appear there is a limit on labor.

If you have the part installed on a vehicle that has remaining factory warranty, the DURATION of the Mopar warranty is 24 months, or the remainder of the new vehicle warranty, whichever is longer.

Nowhere in the terms of the Mopar warranty does it state that you are covered under the New Vehicle Warranty. The Mopar warranty is different than the Jeep warranty, which is how FCA treats it. In my experience with Jeep, they treat the Mopar warranty as a whole different thing.

Damage caused by Mopar parts to other parts of the vehicle is only covered IF the Mopar part was instlalled by an FCA facility, and IF the Mopar part that caused the damage is still under warranty.
Sponsored