FCA just cancelled my warranty because of "aftermarket stuff"

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
That is the way that the world works now. When you purchase the vehicle, you agree to the conditions to the warranty... that is the warranty as it is written. It behooves you to actually read it and understand it before you sign it. What the dealer tells you does not matter. It is what is written in that document that you agreed to that matters. In my experience, what the dealer tells you and what is written in the document conflict.
+1

Most if not all vehicle sales/buyers contracts that people sign will have either a block with language stating the dealership is not responsible for verbal promises they make or held to the accuracy of any comments or statements they make.

Anything that is not already explicityly stated in the written contracts or written warranties is to be annotated in either a provided section of the sales/buyers contract or on a seperate document which is usually called a "We Owe/You Owe" form .
Sponsored

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Either the problem or the solution. I’m leaning towards solution but I’m just not sure.
Chances are pretty good it was both.
I get to work with computers and ECMs a lot (there are about 22 onboard computers on today's Class 8 trucks) and programming errors can be commonplace especially with the more automated ODBII programming devices available today. There's nothing like a laptop and full-on programming code :)
Anyways, something as simple as a quick drop in voltage while programming can cause a packet drop, or even a portion of a packet, and if that particular packet is a keystone, it can royally screw things up. That's the main reason OTAPs are never done on moving vehicles (cell service sucks under bridges ... LOL).
Hooking a battery charger to your vehicle, even if the battery is in great condition, is a good proactive measure to avoiding potential voltage drops and packet loss.
Another common occurrence is process error while programming. Read the instructions until you have them memorized, and follow them exactly. If at first you don't succeed ... try, try again !!!
Just my humble two cents worth anyways :)

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
These off road marvels are only marvelous when all the delicate electronics are working in Swiss watch harmony.

I wonder when my wife and I are going to be stranded in some seriously remote location because our ECM wont connect to the JWD which shuts off the HNO which fails to unlock the WSJ, and then enters SOL Mode.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
These off road marvels are only marvelous when all the delicate electronics are working in Swiss watch harmony.

I wonder when my wife and I are going to be stranded in some seriously remote location because our ECM wont connect to the JWD which shuts off the HNO which fails to unlock the WSJ, and then enters SOL Mode.
Once you are SOL mode, you better hope you got water..

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
Never had these issues with my CJs or SJ Jeeps. Seems as if they started when the YJ and XJs came out and since then electronics in vehicles has gone wild. I read an article the other day that the EPA has banned the ability to do any kind of tunes on 2019 and newer vehicles. I guess we'll see how that works.

Someone said earlier that the difference between a Sport and a Rubicon is that the Sport was not designed to do the Rubicon, the Rubicon was. This is no further from the truth. Any Jeep that has the Trail Rated badge had that model successfully navigate the Rubicon trail.

Where the warranty comes into question is when you take that Sport or the Rubicon and put 37's on the Rubi keeping the factory gear ratio which the majority of Jeep owners do because they are either cheap or don't have the money to do it right. I usually buy my Jeeps 2 years old so some other sucker an get stuck with the big depreciation in the first 2 years or so. You can buy that stock Rubicon that cost 60K two years ago in the 30's if you are good at shopping and negotiation.

I WON'T buy a Jeep that has been modified in any way because there are too many people out there that due to cost, cut corners and do things in a substandard way. This is just another reason that FCA refuses warranty claims. When the dealer does the install, using genuine Mopar parts, they will cover warranty because it is assumed by FCA that the dealer has used approved Mopar parts and has completed the work fully and correctly.

As for FCA cancelling your warranty, if that is so, your Jeep is flagged in the system. No dealer is going to touch it because they won't be paid by FCA for the work. The bill would be on you. At the same time you can hire a high priced attorney to fight this for you but you can bet that Jeep has an army of attorneys who don't care how much it costs to fight something, it all depends on how much will and money you have.

Sponsored

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I was just reading through the diesel supplement manual for the 2020 jeep. On page 3 of the manual under Introduction, A message from FCA US LLC.

Note:
Some aftermarket products may cause severe engine/transmission and/or exhaust system damage. Your vehicle powertrain control systems can detect and store information about vehicle modifications that increase horsepower and torque output such as whether or not performance enhancing powertrain components, commonly referred to as downloads, power boxes, or performance chips have been used.

Any chassis/suspension or tire size modifications to the vehicle will effect the performance of the adaptive cruise control and forward collision warning system.

This information cannot be erased and will stay in the systems memory even if the modification is removed. This information can be restored by FCA US LLC, and service and repair facilities, when servicing your vehicle. This information may be used to determine if repair will be covered by New Vehicle Limited warranty.

Wow

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Never had these issues with my CJs or SJ Jeeps. Seems as if they started when the YJ and XJs came out and since then electronics in vehicles has gone wild. I read an article the other day that the EPA has banned the ability to do any kind of tunes on 2019 and newer vehicles. I guess we'll see how that works.

Someone said earlier that the difference between a Sport and a Rubicon is that the Sport was not designed to do the Rubicon, the Rubicon was. This is no further from the truth. Any Jeep that has the Trail Rated badge had that model successfully navigate the Rubicon trail.

Where the warranty comes into question is when you take that Sport or the Rubicon and put 37's on the Rubi keeping the factory gear ratio which the majority of Jeep owners do because they are either cheap or don't have the money to do it right. I usually buy my Jeeps 2 years old so some other sucker an get stuck with the big depreciation in the first 2 years or so. You can buy that stock Rubicon that cost 60K two years ago in the 30's if you are good at shopping and negotiation.

I WON'T buy a Jeep that has been modified in any way because there are too many people out there that due to cost, cut corners and do things in a substandard way. This is just another reason that FCA refuses warranty claims. When the dealer does the install, using genuine Mopar parts, they will cover warranty because it is assumed by FCA that the dealer has used approved Mopar parts and has completed the work fully and correctly.

As for FCA cancelling your warranty, if that is so, your Jeep is flagged in the system. No dealer is going to touch it because they won't be paid by FCA for the work. The bill would be on you. At the same time you can hire a high priced attorney to fight this for you but you can bet that Jeep has an army of attorneys who don't care how much it costs to fight something, it all depends on how much will and money you have.
This is 100% correct.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
I was just reading through the diesel supplement manual for the 2020 jeep. On page 3 of the manual under Introduction, A message from FCA US LLC.

Note:
Some aftermarket products may cause severe engine/transmission and/or exhaust system damage. Your vehicle powertrain control systems can detect and store information about vehicle modifications that increase horsepower and torque output such as whether or not performance enhancing powertrain components, commonly referred to as downloads, power boxes, or performance chips have been used.

Any chassis/suspension or tire size modifications to the vehicle will effect the performance of the adaptive cruise control and forward collision warning system.

This information cannot be erased and will stay in the systems memory even if the modification is removed. This information can be restored by FCA US LLC, and service and repair facilities, when servicing your vehicle. This information may be used to determine if repair will be covered by New Vehicle Limited warranty.

Wow
A word to the wise. I am sure that this also applies to the 3.6 Pentastar and the 4cyl Turbo. Pretty sure this was part of the mandate by the EPA beginning 2019 model year.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

This is 100% correct.
Um, read the warranty paperwork. It is closer to 100% wrong. Jeep warranty and Mopar warranty are TWO different things. Jeep does not consider Mopar to be any different than any other third party manufacturer. You will see it in the paperwork. Jeep will tell you that the warranty only covers what Jeep put on it at the factory, and nothing more. Anything else, they consider third party. This includes Mopar accessories.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Um, read the warranty paperwork. It is closer to 100% wrong. Jeep warranty and Mopar warranty are TWO different things. Jeep does not consider Mopar to be any different than any other third party manufacturer. You will see it in the paperwork. Jeep will tell you that the warranty only covers what Jeep put on it at the factory, and nothing more. Anything else, they consider third party. This includes Mopar accessories.
So you are saying everything else he said was correct and that Jeep as the manufacturer can deny mopar aftermarket even with certified dealer instal just as easy as other third party after market.

In sense you think his post was 90% right and 10% wrong(mopar warranty).

I’m guessing you also believe the demon slicks and tune is aftermarket and not oem as well.

Sponsored

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

So you are saying everything else he said was correct and that Jeep as the manufacturer can deny mopar aftermarket even with certified dealer instal just as easy as other third party after market.

In sense you think his post was 90% right and 10% wrong(mopar warranty).

I’m guessing you also believe the demon slicks and tune is aftermarket and not oem as well.
Don't waste your time guessing what I believe and I do not believe.

I had my authorized Jeep dealer install a Mopar accessory kit on my Jeep that was listed in the Mopar accessories catalog. The accessory catalog mentions how Mopar accessories are designed and tested to work in my Jeep. The kit does not work, and leaves the vehicle not road worthy by DOT standards. After discussing this with Jeep, they have stated that by design, the part does not work. Oddly enough, the part works just fine when it is installed at the factory. Jeep will not correct the situation, neither will Mopar. I am able to make the kit work using a third party device developed by Tazer.

Based on what I read in the documentation, and my own experience, Jeep does not support Mopar any differently than any other third party supplier. Doesn't matter who installs it.

You can read many cases in this forum where FCA does not stand behind their product.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Don't waste your time guessing what I believe and I do not believe.

I had my authorized Jeep dealer install a Mopar accessory kit on my Jeep that was listed in the Mopar accessories catalog. The accessory catalog mentions how Mopar accessories are designed and tested to work in my Jeep. The kit does not work, and leaves the vehicle not road worthy by DOT standards. After discussing this with Jeep, they have stated that by design, the part does not work. Oddly enough, the part works just fine when it is installed at the factory. Jeep will not correct the situation, neither will Mopar. I am able to make the kit work using a third party device developed by Tazer.

Based on what I read in the documentation, and my own experience, Jeep does not support Mopar any differently than any other third party supplier. Doesn't matter who installs it.

You can read many cases in this forum where FCA does not stand behind their product.
Did they deny your Jeep warranty based on their poor products?

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
Mopar also sells a lift kit but it is not covered under the extended warranty unless you pay for extra coverage. There is specific language in the warranty contract abut this.
the extra charge only applies to recent extended warranty purchases, older ones are still allowing/covering mopar lifts.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yup. FCA grudgingly honors vehicles’ factory warranties these days. Add to that that we also have to battle with dealers to get them to do their work.

Years ago buying Mopar parts was a guarantee that both Jeep and the dealer would stand behind your accessories. Today...they might, they might not.

FCA only cares about “profits”, period; customers be damned. As the economy tanks and profits evaporate, it is going to become even harder to get FCA to stand behind its products.
Sponsored

Last edited: