FCA just cancelled my warranty because of "aftermarket stuff"

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I'm appalled at the attitude of many of the users here. It has been said many times over that this is not an issue related to tire size. But many here don't understand why it isn't or just don't care. And are blaming the OP for trying to get a warrantied component replaced under warranty. If he tried to get a part that was actually effected by the modifications that he made covered by the warranty, then I would understand the contempt that has been on display. But this is not the issue at place here. The electronics that register speed, the hall effect wheel speed and possibly the transfer case output speed sensor, are at fault. Or possibly the wiring harness, computer, etc... But those components don't touch anything that he has modified. The people that are claiming that he had to expect that the warranty would be denied, and agreeing with the dealership are part of the problem with getting FCA to warranty items that should be covered. This is ridiculous as someone putting on a sunshade for when they take their top off, then discovering a leak with their hard top, and the dealership denying a warranty repair because they had installed an aftermarket top. Even though the shade doesn't interfere with the hard top at all. If you don't know anything about this system and how it works and just assumed that what he has modified must have caused the issues he's having, then you should refrain from comment and read to educate yourself.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."
— ABRAHAM LINCOLN.
Just as an aside to all of this silliness that this thread has devolved to, Lincoln never said that, so maybe take a little of your own advice...
Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Just as an aside to all of this silliness that this thread has devolved to, Lincoln never said that, so maybe take a little of your own advice...
Just as an aside to this half baked post...Lincoln did use this as one of his favorite quotes. this is typical of people that post here with bad facts.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
My dealer told me that if you buy FCA parts and have them installed at the dealership t won't void your warranty, BUT, if you buy aftermarket parts not sold and approved by FCA and install them yourself, FCA can refuse warranty claims. Sure you can go to court to try to appeal but they have more money than you do an they will fight you. Also if the dealer claims that the warranty has been cancelled by FCA, your VIN number is in the system and going to another dealer will not change that. Sorry but all manufacturer's are the same when it comes to aftermarket modifications, not just Jeep. I think the issue is that there are too many substandard aftermarket parts out there that are installed by unqualified owners in order to save money. It never pays to do it on the cheap. One issue for you is that you went to 37s and never changed the gear ratio to compensate. Bigger tires will cause undue stress to the drive train and suspension. It's not hard for them to prove that.
Lol. Every part I've installed far surpasses the quality of anything Mopar makes. Of course your dealership told you that, how do you think they make their money?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Very sensible. Remember, for every legit case fought from a dealer, there are 3 non-legit cases. They have the team and know how to delay, discourage and in most cases....win.
Lol, and then there are thousands of us who have been installing high quality aftermarket parts for decades without a single issue. You guys crack me up. If you want to have the dealer install Mopar parts on your rig go right ahead, but quit spreading false information based on 0 personal experience.

LeodaJeep

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
SoCal below Idyllwild mountains S.W. side.
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubican
Occupation
Self Sufficient
Jeep & Harley: Sounds VERY similar to Harley. Few leave their Harley...or Jeep, stock. Purchased a Harley with 16" handlebars and the extended warranty. I asked 3 times before I paid for the warranty, "will the electronics in the bars be covered?" Yes, yes, yes, was the reply. Well, yes until I brought it in for service with a bar electrical problem. The service writer was an ******* and my reply was, just fix it. When I picked it up, it hit the fan. They actually fired the finance guy that told me yes, then finance had to pay service for the repair. Sad for the finance guy, but don't say yes to make a sale if it's really no. Harley's and Jeeps...yes...until it costs them.

Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Just as an aside to this half baked post...Lincoln did use this as one of his favorite quotes. this is typical of people that post here with bad facts.
A little research will show you that the first reference of Lincoln using this expression, which has its roots in the Bible, was made in 1931, more than 65 years after his death. It had been attributed posthumously to Mark Twain as well, also with no contemporaneous written evidence.
The quote itself is valid, if ironic as many here continue to prove themselves foolish, but the attribution to Lincoln is anecdotal at best, and more likely without any verifiability.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
CONCLUSION: I hate to ruin a good ole’ fashion OP bashing but I fixed my Jeep and there are a few on here that care about that.

First of all, this forum made the fix possible. That’s super important for everyone to grasp. No less than 7 mechanics looked at this Jeep over 24 days and they couldn’t fix it. Or even have a clue. But a forum member who i have never met sent me a PM and set me on course for a fix. Thank you for that.

I won’t rehash the issue, plenty of people have done that on here already.

So here’s the heart of the issue. My Jeep was throwing codes saying that my speed sensors were reporting inconsistent speeds from the Tcase and the ABS sensors.... which was erroneous. But it was persistent. This prevented the 4wd from engaging. The PCM and TCM were flashed and they kept popping up.

The fix. I disconnected both batteries for an hour. Then I re-installed the Tazer cleared codes again and the put in gear and tire size. Restarted about 5 times and it’s good to go. 24 days in the shop for a hard reset.

i drove 300 miles today and no problems. Tomorrow I’m going wheeling in the mountains with @GeorgiaGray with my cobbed together Jeep with no warranty on tractor tires put together by a fake master mechanic. All the haters can suck a fat Richard.
Good for you brother!! Sometimes ya just gotta sit back and look at it for a little while... Great job!!!!!!

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

aAccording to my dealer.

They do have something similar. If the MOPAR lift was installed by an FCA dealer. It is covered under the warranty. If you install it yourself or a non-FCA dealership does it, you are basically screwed.

All modifications on my vehicle are MOPAR parts that were installed by an FCA dealer. Ive never had an issue with warranty at any FCA dealership.
Slight correction, if an FCA dealership installs MOPAR parts, there are different provisions under the MOPAR warranty for this. There are still provisions in the MOPAR warranty for installs done by the user or a non FCA shop. This is not the same as the Jeep warranty. It is in the fine print on the Mopar warranty.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

My dealer told me that if you buy FCA parts and have them installed at the dealership t won't void your warranty, BUT, if you buy aftermarket parts not sold and approved by FCA and install them yourself, FCA can refuse warranty claims. Sure you can go to court to try to appeal but they have more money than you do an they will fight you. Also if the dealer claims that the warranty has been cancelled by FCA, your VIN number is in the system and going to another dealer will not change that. Sorry but all manufacturer's are the same when it comes to aftermarket modifications, not just Jeep. I think the issue is that there are too many substandard aftermarket parts out there that are installed by unqualified owners in order to save money. It never pays to do it on the cheap. One issue for you is that you went to 37s and never changed the gear ratio to compensate. Bigger tires will cause undue stress to the drive train and suspension. It's not hard for them to prove that.
First, STOP believing what your dealer "says". The ONLY thing that matters is what is in writing from the manufacturer.

Read the warranty that comes with the Mopar kit you are interested in. It is available on line with a simple search. What you will find is that the Mopar warranty covers the kit in questin, and not the Jeep warranty. Mopar has provisions specifically for the case where an FCA dealer installs he parts. They also have general provisions for if the user or third party shop installs the parts.

Jeep/FCA considers Mopar as a third party supplier, and nothing more.

My dealer told me otherwise. I read the documentation.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
First, STOP believing what your dealer "says". The ONLY thing that matters is what is in writing from the manufacturer.

Read the warranty that comes with the Mopar kit you are interested in. It is available on line with a simple search. What you will find is that the Mopar warranty covers the kit in questin, and not the Jeep warranty. Mopar has provisions specifically for the case where an FCA dealer installs he parts. They also have general provisions for if the user or third party shop installs the parts.

Jeep/FCA considers Mopar as a third party supplier, and nothing more.

My dealer told me otherwise. I read the documentation.
They can't be Vaque when your buying the vehicle, then suddenly become legal Eagles. Not to mention stories like this make me think for my next purchase..

Sponsored

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
CONCLUSION: I hate to ruin a good ole’ fashion OP bashing but I fixed my Jeep and there are a few on here that care about that.

First of all, this forum made the fix possible. That’s super important for everyone to grasp. No less than 7 mechanics looked at this Jeep over 24 days and they couldn’t fix it. Or even have a clue. But a forum member who i have never met sent me a PM and set me on course for a fix. Thank you for that.

I won’t rehash the issue, plenty of people have done that on here already.

So here’s the heart of the issue. My Jeep was throwing codes saying that my speed sensors were reporting inconsistent speeds from the Tcase and the ABS sensors.... which was erroneous. But it was persistent. This prevented the 4wd from engaging. The PCM and TCM were flashed and they kept popping up.

The fix. I disconnected both batteries for an hour. Then I re-installed the Tazer cleared codes again and the put in gear and tire size. Restarted about 5 times and it’s good to go. 24 days in the shop for a hard reset.

i drove 300 miles today and no problems. Tomorrow I’m going wheeling in the mountains with @GeorgiaGray with my cobbed together Jeep with no warranty on tractor tires put together by a fake master mechanic. All the haters can suck a fat Richard.
Did you previously change the tire size and gears or was this the first time/ before the reset did you check those entries ?

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep & Harley: Sounds VERY similar to Harley. Few leave their Harley...or Jeep, stock. Purchased a Harley with 16" handlebars and the extended warranty. I asked 3 times before I paid for the warranty, "will the electronics in the bars be covered?" Yes, yes, yes, was the reply. Well, yes until I brought it in for service with a bar electrical problem. The service writer was an ******* and my reply was, just fix it. When I picked it up, it hit the fan. They actually fired the finance guy that told me yes, then finance had to pay service for the repair. Sad for the finance guy, but don't say yes to make a sale if it's really no. Harley's and Jeeps...yes...until it costs them.
Industry paid attention to what happened to car makers who cheated on EPA testing and Harleys fine about tuners and emission defeating parts. If it’s emission related Don’t take it to a dealer with mods. MM warranty law doesn’t apply to tampering.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

They can't be Vaque when your buying the vehicle, then suddenly become legal Eagles. Not to mention stories like this make me think for my next purchase..
That is the way that the world works now. When you purchase the vehicle, you agree to the conditions to the warranty... that is the warranty as it is written. It behooves you to actually read it and understand it before you sign it. What the dealer tells you does not matter. It is what is written in that document that you agreed to that matters. In my experience, what the dealer tells you and what is written in the document conflict.

FireWorxFire

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fireworxfire.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Just my .02....
After owning 4 JKs, one of them with a Hemi and 40s, you learn a few things about "Jeep Dealers vs Jeep Enthusiasts ".
I am and will never dog on how people buy cars or for why, but I will defend and ridicule both sides. When you buy any car new that is in stock trim, then every dealer should and most likely will repair almost anything under warranty. Even if you accidentally broke something. Start making cosmetic modifications and that rule still stands. The moment you deviate mechanical parts, ie wheels/tires, suspension, etc., that is when you open the pandora's box of warranty. Change the tire size to bigger or larger and the manufacturer certainly has every right to deny repairs. Thanks to the Magnuson Act we legally have a fight and arguement as to what actually caused the problem in the first place. Would a 40 in mud tire cause a seat to creak? Most likely not but physics could prove that the larger and aggressive tire caused a vibration which resulted in the seat creak. See how this can get a bit... cloudy?

I was a BMW/Mini service manager in my past as well as a KIA service manager. KIA fixed just about anything including human screw ups by their owners. That is until they got bigger. BMW was extremely picky on warranty claims and especially picky with mods done. In the end, BMW normally warranties issues caused by mods. Why? Higher type of clientele overall, but they also pride themselves on customer satisfaction. Something most Jeep dealers have forgotten. Or have they?
Ever wonder why the differences between the trims? Sport up to Rubicon? In stock form each trim was designed for a purpose. The Sport was not designed to go hit the Rubicon Trail, where Jeep will tell you the Rubicon was and that is normal use for it unlike a Sport. This is where some will completely disagree with me, but you buy not what you csn afford.... but more how you plan on using it.
Example of mine: JLU Sport currently. Why? Because the only major mod left for me currently is what i had planned all along... axles. I didn't pay 60k for a JLUR when I knew by 15k miles I'd replace almost everything anyway. That's my path, my experience, and it took me years of fighting and learning with Jeep dealers to know how it really works.

Here is where I hope I regain your trust back lol. I absolutely hate, hate, hate, most Jeep service departments. Why? Morons as a whole. Earlier I spoke about BMW but didn't mention MINI. That is because every manufacturer should strive to have true mindset like MINI does when it comes to performance parts. Even though their special full on factory molded John Cooper Works cars are designed with their vision of higher end like a Rubicon, they still keep an open mind knowing that more aftermarket parts will be added. And that means lower base models like the JL Sport for MINI, WILL be modded to be like the JCW editions. This means they sell, install, and warranty a modded base model without much thought. This is because the MINI exists as a fun loving, sporty, classic, tradition, that keeps true to its heritage and the people who typically buy them do so on purpose for its history which includes racing.

Long I know but here is the point...

FCA has forgotten why we buy any Jeep model to begin with. FCA turned us into Mall Crawlers. Shame on FCA!!! We buy Jeeps, especially Wranglers, for our own purposes in life and yes that heritage is important to us. But with that history, many of us buy and build them to go places they promised in the commercials. And sometimes, sometimes we find ourselves needing bigger tires, lifts for those tires, or I mean for articulation so I can get to that picture perfect location. And sometimes the mods we add are REQUIRED because its what every Jeep owner does. Why design the new JL using all the key points us JK owners had on wish lists? We wanted 35s on JKs and it turned to 37s. Our JLs should have come stock with 35s... wait... wait... per Jeep it was designed for 35s in factory trim on the Rubicon. 37s on the JL? I'm sure no one needed a crystal ball to see that coming right away. So will the next JX be ready for 37s from the showroom? If so, they'll still complain back to us because we put 40s on it.

Wake up FCA!!! Wake up!!! After 6 Wranglers, 3 Cherokee, Compass, Grand Cherokee... I'd say I'm a Jeep guy and Jeep Family....... but...... Ford is knocking on the door in the next year. Maybe some good old competition might square up FCA. If not... hell I'll just say screw my warranty and mod my Jeep my way!

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Just my .02....
After owning 4 JKs, one of them with a Hemi and 40s, you learn a few things about "Jeep Dealers vs Jeep Enthusiasts ".
I am and will never dog on how people buy cars or for why, but I will defend and ridicule both sides. When you buy any car new that is in stock trim, then every dealer should and most likely will repair almost anything under warranty. Even if you accidentally broke something. Start making cosmetic modifications and that rule still stands. The moment you deviate mechanical parts, ie wheels/tires, suspension, etc., that is when you open the pandora's box of warranty. Change the tire size to bigger or larger and the manufacturer certainly has every right to deny repairs. Thanks to the Magnuson Act we legally have a fight and arguement as to what actually caused the problem in the first place. Would a 40 in mud tire cause a seat to creak? Most likely not but physics could prove that the larger and aggressive tire caused a vibration which resulted in the seat creak. See how this can get a bit... cloudy?

I was a BMW/Mini service manager in my past as well as a KIA service manager. KIA fixed just about anything including human screw ups by their owners. That is until they got bigger. BMW was extremely picky on warranty claims and especially picky with mods done. In the end, BMW normally warranties issues caused by mods. Why? Higher type of clientele overall, but they also pride themselves on customer satisfaction. Something most Jeep dealers have forgotten. Or have they?
Ever wonder why the differences between the trims? Sport up to Rubicon? In stock form each trim was designed for a purpose. The Sport was not designed to go hit the Rubicon Trail, where Jeep will tell you the Rubicon was and that is normal use for it unlike a Sport. This is where some will completely disagree with me, but you buy not what you csn afford.... but more how you plan on using it.
Example of mine: JLU Sport currently. Why? Because the only major mod left for me currently is what i had planned all along... axles. I didn't pay 60k for a JLUR when I knew by 15k miles I'd replace almost everything anyway. That's my path, my experience, and it took me years of fighting and learning with Jeep dealers to know how it really works.

Here is where I hope I regain your trust back lol. I absolutely hate, hate, hate, most Jeep service departments. Why? Morons as a whole. Earlier I spoke about BMW but didn't mention MINI. That is because every manufacturer should strive to have true mindset like MINI does when it comes to performance parts. Even though their special full on factory molded John Cooper Works cars are designed with their vision of higher end like a Rubicon, they still keep an open mind knowing that more aftermarket parts will be added. And that means lower base models like the JL Sport for MINI, WILL be modded to be like the JCW editions. This means they sell, install, and warranty a modded base model without much thought. This is because the MINI exists as a fun loving, sporty, classic, tradition, that keeps true to its heritage and the people who typically buy them do so on purpose for its history which includes racing.

Long I know but here is the point...

FCA has forgotten why we buy any Jeep model to begin with. FCA turned us into Mall Crawlers. Shame on FCA!!! We buy Jeeps, especially Wranglers, for our own purposes in life and yes that heritage is important to us. But with that history, many of us buy and build them to go places they promised in the commercials. And sometimes, sometimes we find ourselves needing bigger tires, lifts for those tires, or I mean for articulation so I can get to that picture perfect location. And sometimes the mods we add are REQUIRED because its what every Jeep owner does. Why design the new JL using all the key points us JK owners had on wish lists? We wanted 35s on JKs and it turned to 37s. Our JLs should have come stock with 35s... wait... wait... per Jeep it was designed for 35s in factory trim on the Rubicon. 37s on the JL? I'm sure no one needed a crystal ball to see that coming right away. So will the next JX be ready for 37s from the showroom? If so, they'll still complain back to us because we put 40s on it.

Wake up FCA!!! Wake up!!! After 6 Wranglers, 3 Cherokee, Compass, Grand Cherokee... I'd say I'm a Jeep guy and Jeep Family....... but...... Ford is knocking on the door in the next year. Maybe some good old competition might square up FCA. If not... hell I'll just say screw my warranty and mod my Jeep my way!
Good post, however FCA needs to be careful as all manufacturers do. Especially with vehicles that are modded above and beyond what it is designed for off the showroom floor.

I understand that most will say the JL(Rubicon) is designed for off road and tough trails such as Rubicon and Moab, however R&D plus Safety and Emissions can only go so far and these are still on road vehicles. When power/torque plus codes and suspension geometry and anything else that puts stress on a drivetrain are added things will break as they have not had hundreds of thousands of test miles at that stress and power levels. Many people would not believe the stress or sign off tests that each component goes through before the vehicle is green lighted.

They go through these hell test for one reason only. Even after these tests things go wrong. Ford has spent billions in rental fees from warranty's these few years. You can see why they or manufacturers do not want to pay for customers pushing beyond these boundaries. They can barely stay in business with the r&d of oem vehicles.

Now my post may not be popular with this forum of jeep enthusiast, thats ok. We have to remember that we are fortunate to have vehicles like the JL and JT and those before them in the first place. Remember if FCA can not at least break even we won't have the replacement for these vehicles, and that would be tragic!

OP: Im glad it worked out and software with a hard reset was all that was necessary. Enjoy wheelin your rig!
Sponsored