Sponsored

FCA fined $77M for missing fuel economy requirements

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
The $77mil fine isn’t going to break the bank at FCA and they’ll eat a similar fine next year and the next year and continue to make money. Unfortunately, I fear that in this political climate (not presidential- I’m talking society-wide, beyond one president) this isn’t a sustainable long-term business model and that’s why we see things like the 2.0 in the Wrangler and a PHEV Wrangler. FCA has to pay the CAFE piper at some point; they’re just delaying it as long as possible and reaping the benefits of being one of the few OEMs to offer what the people want.

The joyride won’t last forever, folks. Enjoy it while it lasts, then adapt to the future. I know I personally will go kicking and screaming... you can pry my ICE from my cold, dead hands.
If it comes to that, I will just go buy another old 4.0 Cherokee or TJ, keep my Trans Am, and have more fun than the newbie car owners.

TJ PL MN

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLUR. 2016 Acura MDX
This is probably one reason FCA has been pushing the 2.0T over the 3.6.

FCA was fined $77M for missing it's fuel economy requirements. It's the largest amount imposed on a automaker in the last 5 years. FCA was also the only automaker to pay a fine for the 2016 model year.

https://autoweek.com/article/car-ne...missing-fuel-economy-requirements-report-says
Tomorrows headline-
FCA increases price of all the government Gladiators additional $77M because of demand.
Here’s your sign!

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
If it comes to that, I will just go buy another old 4.0 Cherokee or TJ, keep my Trans Am, and have more fun than the newbie car owners.
Now I got to see a pic of your Trans am! Let's see it!

Sponsored

Harleexl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe Sting Gray
Occupation
Automotive
On another note . . . Do existing and potential Wrangler owners seriously consider fuel economy?
I don't have mine yet, but wouldn't have ordered one without the fuel economy improvements seen but adding the 2.0L and 8 speed transmission. The fuel costs on my 30 mile one way commute would have been too much in the old JK. I'm still really interested in the PHEV version that's rumored to be out next year.

Harleexl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe Sting Gray
Occupation
Automotive
I don't have mine yet, but wouldn't have ordered one without the fuel economy improvements seen but adding the 2.0L and 8 speed transmission. The fuel costs on my 30 mile one way commute would have been too much in the old JK. I'm still really interested in the PHEV version that's rumored to be out next year.
Still, manual trans would have been my first choice with that engine... had it been available.

Jl owner

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
Bought my Jeeps without contemplating fuel economy.

On a semi-related note, I went to a fairly large Jeep dealer today in Temple, TX and they had exactly ZERO manual transmission Wranglers on the lot. I test drove an auto then ordered a manual. Leap of faith, I guess...
I did the same thing. You won’t regret the manual. Short throws and shifts like a sports car, although the clutch is much lighter than I’m used to. Autos are convenient and easier in heavy traffic so either is a fine choice. Just be sure to disable annoying auto start/stop feature. YouTube the 1 minute task

Sponsored

azrubi

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Hard not to think about it sometimes. My 2.0 JLR gets like 10 mpg better then a old 2.5L 4-banger TJ I once owned. lol.
My 2.0 Rubicon is getting 23mpg city. As long as I keep my foot out of it!

OP
OP

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
My 2.0 Rubicon is getting 23mpg city. As long as I keep my foot out of it!
My 2-door 2.0 Rubicon is still pretty new, still breaking it in. Still on first tank of gas so did not calculate actual MPG yet. The MPG gage is showing about 18-19mpg combined so far. I hear mpg slowly improve as the miles get added on after break-in. It would be nice to hit 20mpg. lol. Still. We all know the Wrangler is a brick. it's really incredible how good the gas milage is considering how much power the 2.0 makes. Getting up to highway speeds and passing on highways is effortless compared to my '15 JK I owned before. My '15 JK automatic used to average about 17-18mpg combined and did not feel anywhere near as powerful. I also can't get over how smooth the eTorque is in daily stop and go driving.

RMojitoJL

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon *Mojito*, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude, 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Occupation
Loan Officer
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly. I remember when I bought my hellcat getting some kind of gas tax crap.
its all crap and depends on driving habbits. I am on a 2" mopar lift and 37" Toyos averaging 17mpg (normal driving) not right foot on the floor red light to red light.
My 2016 Hellcat was 880whp and went 9's full weight on e85. on e85 I still got 17-18mpg highway driving from vegas to cali and 14-15 in the city (again not right foot to the floor red light to red light)

I have zero complaints about mpg... its better than I expected... in both vehicles.
Sponsored