FCA fined $77M for missing fuel economy requirements

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Exactly. I remember when I bought my hellcat getting some kind of gas tax crap.
Yeah, it’s like a $1000 tax on Scat Pack manuals. Our last few non Wrangler vehicles have been a Challenger Scat Pack, Grand Cherokee SRT, and a Power Wagon. Lot of gallons per smile!
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
First thing learned in economics class - companies don't pay taxes or fines, their customers and shareholders do. Another reason, along with the emissions fine, that the cost of Wranglers has gone up so much in the last few years.

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
Lets be honest, if you can afford a 50K+ rubicon you probably arnt worried about gas prices. I know i dont. now if it hit 5 bucks a gallon then maybe.

Sponsored

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
It’s probably my fault, to much wheeling, I get my mpg up to 18–19 mpg, during the week, and one weekend wheeling , down to 12-13 :headbang: I’m in wheeling anonymous trying to get help...:(..:)
Exactly. Winter was bad for the MPGs because I had to do donuts in every parking lot.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Bought my Jeeps without contemplating fuel economy.

On a semi-related note, I went to a fairly large Jeep dealer today in Temple, TX and they had exactly ZERO manual transmission Wranglers on the lot. I test drove an auto then ordered a manual. Leap of faith, I guess...

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Nope. I drive what I want with no regard for fuel economy. Would be nice if the Federal government stayed in it’s lane. That whole 10th amendment thing and all.
Not to get too political, but too many people look to government as authority and forget that we are the authority and government is in servitude.

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
This fine is no surprise. Considering FCA boasts Hellcats, Demons, Srt vehicles, Ram trucks and stopped selling fuel efficient small cars, there’s no way they are hitting fuel efficiency standards.

Sponsored

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
Not to get too political, but too many people look to government as authority and forget that we are the authority and government is in servitude.
You hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately, most (not all) of our young people, have been indoctrinated into just the opposite.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Here's where I'm a little confused.

I don't know how much money this fine "is" to FCA--in the sense that exec are shrugging their shoulders knowing "it as worth it," or worried about getting fired. Either way, their legal team will fight it I'm sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they could have gotten substantial improvements in performance out of the 2.0L maybe this fine could have been avoided, and yet they didn't, but Racechips is?

It was well explained to me how the aftermarket can legitimately tune factory rigs, suggesting Racechips results, if worthy of peer review, may also be [for the most part]/[in some cases] legit. But wouldn't FCA have had major incentive to incorporate some [if not all] of these gains themselves to avoid this fine?

Maybe a little tuning in one member of FCA's fleet (the 2.0L JL,) which was evaluated as a whole (the fleet) with these CAFE standards wouldn't have amounted to beans. Again, maybe the fine is beans compared to the sales coming in, or at leasst a worthy tradeoff for FCA.

$77 million seems to me a lot of money on any entity's books.

Last edited:

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Facts aren't political.

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
San Diego to Santa Clarita and back last night, stopped for gas TWICE. Sometimes I get asked by a Hybrid owner at a gas station or parking lot, does that Jeep use a lot of gas? I wryly grin and say... Yep.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Another reason to hope the mess at the EPA is cleaned up and the CAFE rules are drawn down.

Let the market decide what gets built and sold and get rid of the fines, which are passed on to the customer.

We are swimming in oil and some politicians think they have a right to dictate what we drive, we probably paid an extra 400$ per Wrangler to cover the fine, and the 77 mil will be wasted. I remember this when I walk into the voting booth and vote accordingly.
Sponsored