Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

JL Wrangler JT Pickup Comments Marchionne 2017 NAIAS.png

Sergio Marchionne, FCA CEO, held a corporate media session at the 2017 NAIAS a few days ago and spoke at length about Fiat Chrysler's recently confirmed production plans in Toledo in addition to dropping a few tidbits about the 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) and the 2019 Jeep Pickup Truck.

Marchionne reiterated that FCA will be hiring an additional 700 or so workers at its Toledo Assembly Complex in connection with the production of the next generation Jeep Wrangler which will help ease current production constraints.

"We have been unable to satisfy the international demand because of the domestic demand. This is going to give us a chance to expand our international footprint, which is exactly what we wanted" said Marchionne.

The FCA boss also showed his enthusiasm for the new Wrangler:
"It's a perfect car. It fixes all the problems of the old car and it keeps the identity of the Wrangler."

As for the JT Jeep Pickup?
"It's built on a Wrangler base and that's all I need to say. People have been waiting for that vehicle for years."

Marchionne would not mention specifics on timing for the JT pickup but says it will likely be in 2019, indicating that the currently scheduled dates are still in flux.

To watch the full press conference, check out the two part video here:

https://livestream.com/accounts/1263461/NAIAS2017Media
Sponsored

Last edited:

JoKer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Wrangler Sport
Pretty much expected but good to have confirmation. That debunks the speculation that it would be based on the Ram platform which was probably just due to the spy photos showing a Ram sized truck/Ram bed.

Aggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito!
Wish he woulda told us what problems it fixes. "Problems" in the eyes of the manufacturer aren't always problems for owners and enthusiasts :) Anyway, hearing him call it perfect raises my excitement level. Oh and I wish that car in front of the mic was a scale model of the JL. Woulda been the ultimate sneak reveal.

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
Wish he woulda told us what problems it fixes. "Problems" in the eyes of the manufacturer aren't always problems for owners and enthusiasts :) Anyway, hearing him call it perfect raises my excitement level. Oh and I wish that car in front of the mic was a scale model of the JL. Woulda been the ultimate sneak reveal.
Agreed.

I also read in the transcript that Sergio said that we won't see the JL until the end of this year. This is getting way the heck drawn out....Lol.

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
Mr. Sergio, I hope by perfect you meant no more leaky roof, death wobble, ancient 5 speed, or underpowered engine! Now if only they could fix crappy dealership service with the JL too lol.

Sponsored

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
I wish someone would ask him about the roof! I'm dying to know and it is the one thing that could make or break my decision.

Superwinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon, Yamaha Raptor 660
I wish someone would ask him about the roof! I'm dying to know and it is the one thing that could make or break my decision.
I think it's a make or break part of the car for a lot of ppl and if it changes a lot it'll be the most controversial too. I doubt any Jeep official would get detailed on talking about it though.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
"It's a perfect car. It fixes all the problems of the old car and it keeps the identity of the Wrangler."
Oh cool, so no water leaks, no reliability issues, no death wobble and the handling characteristics of a Porsche and the off-road characteristics to do the Rubicon trail without scraping all with 400 lb. feet of torque and getting 35 MPG city.

He really needs to learn not to make blanket statements like that.
Sponsored