FCA CarPlay Complaint

chilly_one

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara; Granite Metallic
I'm really enjoying my new Jeep, but I have one issue with the Uconnect CarPlay set up. My Jeep has no issues recognizing my phone and initiating CarPlay, which I know has been reported as an issue by others. My complaint is regarding the restrictions on CarPlay while driving. When the Jeep is in motion, all the playlists and artists are greyed out -- meaning I can't change the music until I come to a stop. I understand that ultimately the purpose of this is to reduce driver distractions. But in actuality @JeepCares, all you have done is create a situation where I end up picking up my phone so I can change the music -- completely defeating the purpose of your menu lockouts and your intent to reduce distractions. It would be much easier -- and safer -- if I had the ability to change them from Uconnect. And this is evidently a manufacturer set-up, not an Apple setting, because I can see of all my music while driving our BMW.
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah actually can we get some more details- are you using spotify or the iphone’s audio app? Are you on the 7” or 8.4” screen? I’ve never had this issue using spotify, I can always change anything on the uconnect.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
OP
OP
chilly_one

chilly_one

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah actually can we get some more details- are you using spotify or the iphone’s audio app? Are you on the 7” or 8.4” screen? I’ve never had this issue using spotify, I can always change anything on the uconnect.
I have the 8.4 and I am playing iTunes music downloaded to my phone. I can use Siri, but anything with a list is greyed out while in motion. And YES, this is an FCA setting for CarPlay. Not all manufacturers do this.

Sponsored

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
I have the 8.4 and I am playing iTunes music downloaded to my phone. I can use Siri, but anything with a list is greyed out while in motion. And YES, this is an FCA setting for CarPlay. Not all manufacturers do this.
Thanks for clarifying I didnt completely understand you. Lol

Easy fix.

The next time your driving your Jeep... grab your iphone and throw it out the window.

...done.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Whoa! Major first world problem. This piece of technology that I bought works perfectly, but I hate one of its features.

Real world problem: every Jeep in the country carries armed people, and they all want to kill me

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The system is working as designed. You should not be screwing around with your phone while driving. You shouldn't be screwing around with your radio that much when driving, either.

OP
OP
chilly_one

chilly_one

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had hoped that maybe it was a simple setting that someone could assist me with, but you guys really taught me a lesson. I learned that posting here isn't worth my time. So I'll just keep enjoying my Jeep and try to avoid interacting with some of you.

Sponsored

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I have an iPhone 6 running the latest iOS, I use Spotify, and I have zero issues. In fact, Carplay works fantastic. It may be a setting in the JLUR you have to turn on/off. One of the first things I did when I got my JLUR is I turned off the "auto-reply when driving" function in carplay and shut off all similar things I had the option to shut off. I don't want to be spamming group chat with coworkers "I'm driving" every time someone sends a message and I'm on my way in. They can wait until I'm stopped or I'll use voice to text. I've never had this issue and I briefly used Apple Podcasts before switching over, and I was able to move from Podcast to podcast on the highway with no issues, using both the screen and the steering wheel controls.

I've just recently started using Siri, just to see if it works and I can confirm that it does, with Spotify- it's not totally working as intended but I'm pretty sure that's just me, and I need to figure out the proper set of commands so (for example) I get my own Ramones playlist and not Spotify's "This is: Ramones" playlist.. mostly because mine is longer.

Personal hot take: Apple Music sucks anyway. I get people are going to use what they pay for, and Swapping platforms is a pain in the ass, but I stopped using iTunes for music a long time ago when Apple came out and made some vague statement to the effect of "iTunes is primarily a store- not a music library". I've switched to using Spotify and I haven't looked back. I even pay for the Family Premium plan for my wife and I. Well worth it for the streaming capability, access to anything on the platform, and the ability to sync/ download/ import local playlists and files from other programs (like Apple Music).

Good luck, I hope this helps.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah my issue with the thread is that I wasn’t aware of the issue because I use spotify which lets me browse through my library / artists / playlists / etc. while driving. Or at least I think it does... who knows?

Anyway, check it out: if this is in fact a locked setting that can’t be changed, I offer two solutions or workarounds: try Spotify (I love it), or jailbreak your phone. I am able to mirror my iphone’s screen onto my uconnect screen with a jailbroken iPhone. There’s a lot more options with a jailbroken phone.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I had hoped that maybe it was a simple setting that someone could assist me with, but you guys really taught me a lesson. I learned that posting here isn't worth my time. So I'll just keep enjoying my Jeep and try to avoid interacting with some of you.
I think it's because it is downloaded onto your phone. Try turning off the "do not disturb while driving" setting as this could be iPhone side.

With Apple Music, Amazon Music, and Spotify I do not see the playlists being greyed out.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I think it's because it is downloaded onto your phone. Try turning off the "do not disturb while driving" setting as this could be iPhone side.

With Apple Music, Amazon Music, and Spotify I do not see the playlists being greyed out.
I would try this. If I had to guess I would say it's a preference that is tied to the phone. I checked settings in my phone, and I have it set to activate Manually, HOWEVER- from the settings screen:" If your car supports CarPlay and your iPhone is connected, Do Not Disturb While Driving isn't activated. Instead, Car play uses your car's built-in display to help you stay focused on the road". This can be found by going to Settings> Do Not Disturb> Do Not Disturb While Driving. I'd still check your UConnect unit in your Jeep though. I think there is an option for CarPlay settings but I can't look at my Jeep right now.

SnowDog

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
On mine, I can access a small number of Playlists while driving, so I've made a few and that works well enough for me. But I agree, the nanny stuff is annoying.
Sponsored