First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 WK 2014 JK, 2021 JLR snazzberry
Occupation
damn near retired
Great video. I watched it on youtube. You can never have too much knowledge. Very sad though.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
While I have a hitch shackle mount in the recovery bag in my full size truck, I've gotten to the point I like to minimize or remove potential projectiles from the recovery system.

The old hitch-pin through the strap loop eliminates several failure points, and doesn't add components.

EDIT: Another possible help here. Hood up in front, Toolbox lid up in back.

Sponsored

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

thanks for watching, was a good one to make. i took a couple days thinking of where this one should go, wrote up some bullet points to discuss, and tried to do it in one take.
Thank you for taking time to go over the limitations of the different equipment. You did a nice job on a sensitive topic especially in light of the tragedy that had occurred.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
thanks for watching, was a good one to make. i took a couple days thinking of where this one should go, wrote up some bullet points to discuss, and tried to do it in one take.
Definitely great recovery info/advice, but your 2 5/16" ball does not have sufficient thread engagement. Needs about a 1/2" more shank length.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Excellent information and a great video.

I always enjoy watching @mrjking2000 ā€˜s recovery videos because they work safely and he doesnā€™t introduce a lot of drama into his storyline. Recoveries shouldnā€™t be dramatic or exciting.
I agree. never thought about it. If you are making it exciting and dramatic. You are risking too much. Your life and the life of others.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Does anyone know what the maximum weight the tow hooks on the front (I am not sure the exact name) and the big loop on the back can safely pull?

Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
After watching that video I've quit yanking folks out with my 1 1/4" Bubba kinetic rope. I can almost always get someone out faster than using a winch. I'll reserve the bubba for when we pull disabled vehicles in tandem.
Jeep Wrangler JL Fatal Offroad Recovery (not a Jeep) 2022-02-20 14.28.53

My back window after pulling out a stuck F-250 out. He said he knew how to hook up his end.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If Iā€™m pulling someone out, I connect everything. If someone is pulling me, I check everything. There are far too many people out there with recovery gear who have no clue how to use it, but think they do.

How many times have to seen someone try to attach to steering components or an axle? How many times have you come across a disaster of an attempted recovery on the trail that could have been avoided had they known what they were doing or had the right equipment? Broken steering components, displaced axles, ripped off bumpers, etc. Broken hardware store ropes, or even worse, extension cords. And the worst of all, small chains that are too short or someone taking a slack run on a chain!
Sponsored