Bob502000

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Ha ha. Yeah that's a pretty good recommendation.

Yes it does. Plastic bumpers are basically a plastic cover over a steel beam. Let's not confuse a plastic bumper with a totally plastic front end. The steel bumper provides a rigid structure at the face (not just the core), and extends beyond the frame rails. A plastic bumper will generally have a honeycomb filler which is used to give the bumper some rigidity, yet still be pliable. The idea is obviously cost savings, but the other big factor is that they're less damaging in to a pedestrian.
The DOT, or more specifically the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) require front and rear bumpers to meet minimum safety standards. A plastic bumper, will offer at least the minimum required protection, while the solid steel should give a little extra.

Also for anyone concerned about your plastic bumper, crawl under your Jeep, and look at the "plastic" bumper from the back side. You can see the steel beam, spanning the frame rails. Don't worry, you're not driving around unprotected.
https://news.yahoo.com/4-killed-high-speed-crash-175808573.html
Check out the crumpling on that one.
Sponsored

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
I am pretty sure the reason why the JL has no airbag curtains is not because it is not required.
I am sure Jeep would probably want those but for some technical or excessive cost reason did not put them in. All manufacturers want maximum safety for several obvious reasons.

I never meant hereby to say that those side airbags would have saved lives in this specific accident. In this case it would not have helped anyway I am afraid. Looking at the picture the biggest structural failure is on the A-pillar and the whole front end. It was probably a fairly high speed accident looking how the bed of the truck is kicked down.
The JK was known for a doubtful A-pillar/front window/overhead structure. I believe the JL is much better here. Would the JL passenger have survived the accident? Not sure but he would have had a better chance at it for sure.
I believe the airbag curtains are necessary mainly for the backseat passengers. Now their head bangs against the door pillar or hardtop on a side impact. I do have the feeling the JL is a fairly save vehicle by structure, it just should have been complemented with all around airbags and emergency brake assist (2019 model).

Lastly, for how much attention you may pay to the road, you can always get hit from out of nowhere...

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Wow, yes Robert, that's some substantial damage. I've actually seen cars ripped in half when they take a side/top/bottom impact with a pole or tree. Vehicle's aren't designed to endure forces like that.

So I guess moral number two, is don't smash the bottom of your car into a giant pole at high speed.
Sponsored