Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Considering the post he quoted was about a steel bumper not crumpling as bad, it's certainly the point.

Where did I say or imply any of this? All I said was that for this specific collision, a head on against a heavier vehicle, a steel bumper would've been better simply for not crumpling as bad. Considering how bad the JKs front end came in, that is far from being an unreasonable take.
I'll defer to @Shots who actually knows what he is talking about and is explaining it much better than I am.
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Ha ha. Glad I was able to explain it well. :like:

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
That makes me want to get a heavy duty steel front bumper again like on my JKU..
It's not as if that's going to save you or your occupants in any type of crash. A heavy duty steal bumper will deflect impact energy instead of absorbing it which will result in more physical harm to your and your occupants.

Shawnslady

First Name
Gloria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 rubicon
My wife was hit head on right in front of our house two years ago. She was in my Dodge Ram when a kid that was texting crossed the center line and hit her head on. She was only doing about 15 mph and the kid was doing about 70. I think god she took my truck that instead of her 2015 Rubicon Hard Rock. He hit her so hard it knocked my truck backwards into my neighbors drive way and broke the front axel completely out of my truck. She only received minor injuries from the seat belt and airbag. If she had been in the Jeep I think it would have killed her. The kid was in. Chevy pickup and he had to be air flight with serious injuries. His truck was totally destroyed.
So glad she is OK ! So scary

Sponsored

Bob502000

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
EA662C03-450E-4FF2-A9F5-E736B100D0E1.jpeg
Country singer Travis Tritts tour bus was involved in a multi vehicle crash. A driver going the wrong way hit another vehicle head on. The tour bus received minor damage after swerving to avoid the accident. Two people were killed in the other vehicles, one of the vehicles was a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
Needed a 12 inch lift and 40 inch tires and go over the top.

Bob502000

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
EA662C03-450E-4FF2-A9F5-E736B100D0E1.jpeg
Country singer Travis Tritts tour bus was involved in a multi vehicle crash. A driver going the wrong way hit another vehicle head on. The tour bus received minor damage after swerving to avoid the accident. Two people were killed in the other vehicles, one of the vehicles was a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
Forget that crumple bull, cars and trucks are made of tin foil, plastic, and aluminum. In other words, they are cheap junk made as light and flimsy as possible for a good profit margin. That crumple bull is for Nascar going 200 miles an hour with a nice study roll cage made of steel. The moral of the story, avoid head on collisions.

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
It's not as if that's going to save you or your occupants in any type of crash. A heavy duty steal bumper will deflect impact energy instead of absorbing it which will result in more physical harm to your and your occupants.
I agree with what you say here. I would hope that the OEM option has some absorption qualities to it. Do you or anyone know if it does?

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
.... The moral of the story, avoid head on collisions.
Ha ha. Yeah that's a pretty good recommendation.

I agree with what you say here. I would hope that the OEM option has some absorption qualities to it. Do you or anyone know if it does?
Yes it does. Plastic bumpers are basically a plastic cover over a steel beam. Let's not confuse a plastic bumper with a totally plastic front end. The steel bumper provides a rigid structure at the face (not just the core), and extends beyond the frame rails. A plastic bumper will generally have a honeycomb filler which is used to give the bumper some rigidity, yet still be pliable. The idea is obviously cost savings, but the other big factor is that they're less damaging in to a pedestrian.
The DOT, or more specifically the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) require front and rear bumpers to meet minimum safety standards. A plastic bumper, will offer at least the minimum required protection, while the solid steel should give a little extra.

Also for anyone concerned about your plastic bumper, crawl under your Jeep, and look at the "plastic" bumper from the back side. You can see the steel beam, spanning the frame rails. Don't worry, you're not driving around unprotected.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The front bumper will absorb a little bit, I think all bumpers on all vehicles are supposed to withstand an impact of 5-10mph. With Wranglers because they are body on frame, the front frame horns are designed to crumple in higher speed impacts.

The rear is a little different. The rear bumper is either straight up plastic with no steep support or steel if you have the option on a Rubicon. As far as I'm aware the frame not designed to crumple, however that may be why they use the flimsy metal brackets to attach the rear bumper to the frame.

Sponsored

Bob502000

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Ha ha. Yeah that's a pretty good recommendation.

Yes it does. Plastic bumpers are basically a plastic cover over a steel beam. Let's not confuse a plastic bumper with a totally plastic front end. The steel bumper provides a rigid structure at the face (not just the core), and extends beyond the frame rails. A plastic bumper will generally have a honeycomb filler which is used to give the bumper some rigidity, yet still be pliable. The idea is obviously cost savings, but the other big factor is that they're less damaging in to a pedestrian.
The DOT, or more specifically the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) require front and rear bumpers to meet minimum safety standards. A plastic bumper, will offer at least the minimum required protection, while the solid steel should give a little extra.

Also for anyone concerned about your plastic bumper, crawl under your Jeep, and look at the "plastic" bumper from the back side. You can see the steel beam, spanning the frame rails. Don't worry, you're not driving around unprotected.
I would still avoid head on collisions, hehehehe

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would still avoid head on collisions, hehehehe
True, but you have to remember that head on collisions are only fatal if you die... :like: :CWL:

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
:LOL: You guys are too much.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
That Jeep up there was a JK.
The JL is structurally way better.
Something I just can’t understand is why they didn’t put in a side airbag curtain front to back.
This is one of the main reasons the Jeep gets a low crash score.
I hope FCA makes up for it quickly.
Safety first, than have fun.
Its a JEEP....its not a passenger car. They did not put side curtain airbags in because they are NOT required.
If you think that ANY amount of airbags would have saved the passengers in the JK above....your wrong. Airbags are a modern convenience, but they are NOT the solution to an accident. I feel bad for anyone injured in an accident, but its not FCA’s fault that the accident resulted in fatalities. It boils down to “Personal Responsibility”. Drive ! If your driving....your paying attention to everything around you, and your not doing things that are dangerous. We cannot be 100% sure....but more than likely this accident was the result of driver fault.