Merchant Marine

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
True. californias governor told its citizens not to charge their cars....hmmm.
It gets betterā€” the genius just banned natural gas home heating, water heaters, other things starting in 2035 as I recall. All will be electric and further straining the power grid. One more day and my large off grid capable solar system install will be complete because PG&E Canā€™t Keep The Power Reliably On Now!!!! :clap::angry::swear:

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
I canā€™t believe some of you think the EcoDiesel will live on in only the most niche of all the offerings that engine went in šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ I admire your optimism but seriously, itā€™s done.

Sponsored

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
So I guess we are now considered a reputable source? We apparently control the narrative now.....what a world we now live in where Fake news abounds and mediocrity holds sway.
If thatā€™s the way it works, I do hereby announce the following:

Jeep will release the 20th Anniversary Edition Rubicon tomorrow, September 26, 2022.
The package will include the popular Hemi 392, 40ā€ tires and a two door manual option.

edit - it will be available in every factory color option ever offered on a Jeep. Ever.

Last edited:

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
If thatā€™s the way it works, I do hereby announce the following:

Jeep will release the 20th Anniversary Edition Rubicon tomorrow, September 26, 2022.
The package include the popular Hemi 392, 40ā€ tires and a two door manual option.
Noted forum member Rohdawg stated that Stellantis had announced a 20th Anniversary Edition Rubicon would be releasing this week. The newest and most audacious two door variant is slated to include the Hemi 392 engine mated to a manual transmission and roll on enormous 40 inch tires. The package will also come with the long awaited Retractable Sunshades and Core Doors, and is sure to be a real head turner.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I canā€™t believe some of you think the EcoDiesel will live on in only the most niche of all the offerings that engine went in šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ I admire your optimism but seriously, itā€™s done.
I agree with you that it's done. I just think that it's a shame. The Diesel engine has had such a terrible stigma here in the US. I owned one of the last VW TDi engines, and I loved it. The EPA restrictions on NOx are quite absurd. And forcing manufacturers to reduce their engine output to these nearly unreachable levels has made these once reliable torquey motors much more unreliable, and as such, not a popular choice.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
What are you willing to bet?

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Believe it or not, many of us, diesel owners, do not care about the overall costs. I wouldn't be in a JL if I cared about overall expenses.

I bought my diesel not just for the torque and off-road capability but also because diesel engines typically outlast gassers in the longevity department.
The "motor" itself may last long. But I hope you don't own your diesel outside of warranty. That hugely complex emissions control subsystem *will* fail. And it is prohibitively expensive to fix. If you want to drive it on the road long term, you will have to pass inspection.

There is nothing wrong with diesel engines. But there is something really wrong with the required emissions control on diesel engines. That is why all manufacturers (VW, Audi, Jeep, Ram, Porsche) with diesel engines had to cheat and pay billions in fines when caught.

Diesel engines are not compatible with light duty vehicles. They are barely OK in a heavy duty pickup, but even then, the reality is that something like the Ford 7.3L gasoline is better than the 6.7 diesel in most applications. Diesels are good for trucks that are pulling heavy loads 100,000 miles/year.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Well, I love my diesel. I've posted about it's towing, fuel economy, etc. One of my favorite vehicles I've owned.

That said, I have a few criteria when purchasing a vehicle. Anything that checks these boxes gets my money (or at least, a test drive).

Must be:
  • Able to tow >5000lbs
  • Seat 4
  • Fun (good handling, doors off, fun sounds, etc. - just something to make me smile)
  • Able to handle potholes (so, definitely tall sidewall tires and hopefully good suspension)
  • Able to be leased for <$600/mo
My current 2020 Sport w/ diesel was $50k, with a lease note of $500 (no $$ down, 4 year lease). It ticked every box, and was really the only vehicle that did so. A truck might have checked all of them, except the fun part. There just isn't anything fun about driving an F-150.

For comparison, I spec'd out identical 2022 Rubicons - one as a 4xe and one with the diesel. I chose these, because they both check all boxes (yes, I know the 3.6L also does, but only the diesel and 4xe have the torque to really make towing 5000lbs a reality).

4xe - https://www.jeep.com/bmo.wrangler_4...5,UAQ,ALP,AJ1,HT1,CMD,CLP,CK5,ADH,CWA,CHD,29V

Diesel - https://www.jeep.com/bmo.wrangler.2...P,AD6,AJ1,HT1,CMD,CLP,CK5,ADH,UAQ,CWA,CHD,26R

4xe is $66,315 with a 48-mo lease of $928/mo. The diesel is $61,175 with a 48-mo lease of $730.

As you can see . . . neither checks all those boxes anymore. I'd love to just move to the 4xe - I don't care what's under the hood as long as it works. It could be magic fairies in there, as long as they give me torque!

What's my point with all this? Well, I have to be able to tow my boat, bring my kids places, drive over/through potholes daily, and keep payments down. So . . . what gives? Fun.

This might be my first and last Wrangler.

Xspurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Juliet Lima
- I don't care what's under the hood as long as it works. It could be magic fairies in there, as long as they give me torque!

This might be my first and last Wrangler.
I agree with the poster just above you about the potential pitfalls with long term ownership of today's small diesels but the problems many people had (and are having) with the 4XE were enough to scare me away from buying one. I would not trust the fairies under the hood of a 4XE as they're way overworked and not up for the task! :LOL:

Sprocket

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Rubicon Eco, 14 Grand Cherokee Eco, BMW 328d
I was at the NAIAS (North American International Auto Show) this past weekend and I didn't see a single EcoDiesel in the Jeep booth. I guess it really wouldn't surprise me if they drop it like they did in the Ram 1500. We are diesel nuts (Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel, BMW diesel, VW diesel, & Wrangler EcoDiesel), so this will be a big disappointment for us when it eventually happens.

darylgordon

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
I knew when I bought my diesel Jeep Rubicon, because of emissions, it would be short lived before it would cut. Last week, the CEO of Ram was being interviewed by TFL and said that the 3.0 diesel was being cut from the smaller vehicle options. He maintained that it was because of the focus on electric vehicles. Iā€˜d heard months ago that the new CEO of Stellantis was from the Fiat side and didnā€™t care for offering a lot of different power train options.

I always said that if Jeep came out with a diesel Wrangler, Iā€™d buy one, and Iā€™m happy that I did. With the fuel mileage, towing, and torque, it makes for a great vehicle on and off the road.
Sponsored