Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge JLU Willys 2.0T
Occupation
Engineer
[QUOTE="gato, post: 2104608, member: 64954"
Diesel engines are not compatible with light duty vehicles. They are barely OK in a heavy duty pickup, but even then, the reality is that something like the Ford 7.3L gasoline is better than the 6.7 diesel in most applications. Diesels are good for trucks that are pulling heavy loads 100,000 miles/year.
[/QUOTE]
Would you care to explain this? Is this from an emissions standpoint where a diesel needs to be worked hard (such as constantly pulling heavy loads) for the emissions to function properly?
Or is this more related to short trips and regen on light duty vehicles or 3/4 tons?

Just curious to understand.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Drag race? how about LA to Dallas, still bet on the EV?
I'm a big fan of ICEs, but sooner than we think, the EV will destroy the fossil fuel vehicle in a long distance race. Unfortunately, progress marches on, and Luddite-like reluctance won't slow them down anymore than than the horse/buggy people had success in derailing the ICEs in the first place. We improved roads, built gasoline refuelling stations and moved on from there. And...unlike EVs, the first ICE vehicles had the disadvantage of having abysmal realiabiity.

I'm still not an EV fan, but I am a realist.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Teqsand

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD & 22 JTRD
I'm a big fan of ICEs, but sooner than we think, the EV will destroy the fossil fuel vehicle in a long distance race. Unfortunately, progress marches on, and Luddite-like reluctance won't slow them down anymore than than the horse/buggy people had success in derailing the ICEs in the first place. We improved roads, build gasoline refuelling stations and moved on from there. And...unlike EVs, the first ICE vehicles had the disadvantage of having abysmal realiabiity.

Once someone like tesla puts in a hot swap battery and you have battery stations vs gas station then yes... till then the pure EV is really worthless as a traveling vehicle

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I'm a big fan of ICEs, but sooner than we think, the EV will destroy the fossil fuel vehicle in a long distance race. Unfortunately, progress marches on, and Luddite-like reluctance won't slow them down anymore than than the horse/buggy people had success in derailing the ICEs in the first place. We improved roads, build gasoline refuelling stations and moved on from there. And...unlike EVs, the first ICE vehicles had the disadvantage of having abysmal realiabiity.

We will get there for sure. But it will take time.

Personally, I'm waiting for one of the manufacturers to start up with swappable battery packs in some kind of subscription service. That would solve the recharge time issue. It would also amortize the cost of a battery replacement over the life of the subscription. When that works out, the others will likely follow suit.

For now though, I'm sticking with my diesel. When the diesel is done I'll look at the options available.

FCCinAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
I’ve said it dozens of times as an EV owner, EV’s will be obsolete for many reasons but most importantly, because they don’t change the carbon based energy economy. If anything, they exacerbate it because most of the raw materials are controlled by China which fuels its industrial machine with coal power. Even if the USA converted to 100% EV’s, the global CO2 emissions will be little changed but the power hierarchy will be. Maybe that’s why China funds all sorts of US environmental lobbyists and NGO’s. This is not even mentioning the looming environmental impact of millions of dead batteries that are not easily recycled.

ICE will be supplanted by something, but EV’s have too many drawbacks to propel us into the future. Until that time, we occupy ourselves by rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic and arguing about it. It would be refreshing if someone would articulate a real transition plan that didn’t involve bankrupting the current generation.

FCCinAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Post script, I’ll miss the 3.0 very much and wish I had room for one in my stable. Great engine, when it ran for me, and everything a Jeep should be.

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
We will get there for sure. But it will take time.

Personally, I'm waiting for one of the manufacturers to start up with swappable battery packs in some kind of subscription service. That would solve the recharge time issue. It would also amortize the cost of a battery replacement over the life of the subscription. When that works out, the others will likely follow suit.

For now though, I'm sticking with my diesel. When the diesel is done I'll look at the options available.
So I'm going to swap my brand-new battery pack for some janky unknown battery? That's 10x worse than swapping my brand-new propane tank for some rusty POS tank at the propane tank exchange.

No way I'm going to swap a $20,000 battery pack out for one of unknown provenance. Besides, each EV has batteries designed to fit into a very limited space, I just don't see a universal fit battery pack working very well either.

But I could be wrong :)

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU

I am not on the EV bandwagon yet either, but wouldn't mind owning one. But the day an EV can "destroy" an ICE vehicle in along distance race is a LONG way out, if ever.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
So I'm going to swap my brand-new battery pack for some janky unknown battery? That's 10x worse than swapping my brand-new propane tank for some rusty POS tank at the propane tank exchange.

No way I'm going to swap a $20,000 battery pack out for one of unknown provenance. Besides, each EV has batteries designed to fit into a very limited space, I just don't see a universal fit battery pack working very well either.

But I could be wrong :)
Keep in mind these batteries can weight thousands of pounds, try swapping that quickly on a trip without a forklift...

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
I’ve said it dozens of times as an EV owner, EV’s will be obsolete for many reasons but most importantly, because they don’t change the carbon based energy economy. If anything, they exacerbate it because most of the raw materials are controlled by China which fuels its industrial machine with coal power. Even if the USA converted to 100% EV’s, the global CO2 emissions will be little changed but the power hierarchy will be. Maybe that’s why China funds all sorts of US environmental lobbyists and NGO’s. This is not even mentioning the looming environmental impact of millions of dead batteries that are not easily recycled.

ICE will be supplanted by something, but EV’s have too many drawbacks to propel us into the future. Until that time, we occupy ourselves by rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic and arguing about it. It would be refreshing if someone would articulate a real transition plan that didn’t involve bankrupting the current generation.
Real position, Hydrogen fuel cells...???