Sponsored

Family Vehicle?!?

FrostySerb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Ram 2500 Mega-Cab LongHorn Cummins
Wrangler vs Minivan

Last week we brought the jeep in for some warranty work and since we have a newborn, the staff was nice enough to give us a loaner for the afternoon.

The Loaner was a base minivan … We couldn’t believe how much less practical it was as a family vehicle, at least with 1 child. (In our opinion).

1. Low ride height: This made changing diapers in the back a complete Lower back breaker. This is something we have to do quite often because not a lot of places have family friendly bathrooms or being out in nature.

2. Loading the car seat: The space between the door and the bench seat made it awkward to lean in and put the car seat down(again back pain).

3. Safety: The crash rating may be higher, but being surrounded by steel and being higher than most vehicles does make it feel significantly safer.

Has anyone else experienced this? We were really surprised … I can see how having multiple kids might be an issue in a wrangler but for 1 or 2 I would take it any day over a van.
Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Wrangler vs Minivan

Last week we brought the jeep in for some warranty work and since we have a newborn, the staff was nice enough to give us a loaner for the afternoon.

The Loaner was a base minivan … We couldn’t believe how much less practical it was as a family vehicle, at least with 1 child. (In our opinion).

1. Low ride height: This made changing diapers in the back a complete Lower back breaker. This is something we have to do quite often because not a lot of places have family friendly bathrooms or being out in nature.

2. Loading the car seat: The space between the door and the bench seat made it awkward to lean in and put the car seat down(again back pain).

3. Safety: The crash rating may be higher, but being surrounded by steel and being higher than most vehicles does make it feel significantly safer.

Has anyone else experienced this? We were really surprised … I can see how having multiple kids might be an issue in a wrangler but for 1 or 2 I would take it any day over a van.
So someone loaned you another vehicle and all you have are complaints? I'll guarantee this argument doesn't make any sense with a family with a minivan. Honestly, a minivan was rated the most practical and most versitile vehicle you can own. Who gives a shit about changing diaper height in the back of the minivan? Nothing important to find fault with?

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Anytime I see a grown ass adult driving a minivan, I get sad - willfully purchasing and driving a vehicle like that is basically a very large and public admission that you have basically given up. On everything.

You've accepted defeat, and driving a minivan is your punishment.

Sponsored

1Evil55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport
So someone loaned you another vehicle and all you have are complaints? I'll guarantee this argument doesn't make any sense with a family with a minivan. Honestly, a minivan was rated the most practical and most versitile vehicle you can own. Who gives a shit about changing diaper height in the back of the minivan? Nothing important to find fault with?
In his defense he did say it was only his opinion with limited experience that just didn't work for them. So, what kinda minivan you cruising?

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
The Jeep is no family vehicle. Sold my TJ because I knew I needed something much better for family protection. Grand Cherokee did the trick. I’ve got a 4Runner for the family now and I like it even more.

cafecito820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Damn dude, no one is mocking you for loving your Sienna. Chill.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I'm the oldest of 4 boys. We are all about 2-1/2 years apart in age.

I was born in '75... in 1983 (the youngest was a newborn) my dad bought a 2 seat Datsun 280ZX. He had all 4 of us at the car dealer while my mom (who drove a 5 seat station wagon) was out shopping. The middle two rolled around in the back while I held the newborn in the front seat on the way home. He drove that until 1990 when he finally decided he needed a sedan and bought a 4 door Grand Prix.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Damn dude, no one is mocking you for loving your Sienna. Chill.
Sienna? I've got plenty of Jeep horsepower around here and I don't classify them as the best family vehicle. My neighbor has newborn twins with a Pacifica and loves it.

Sponsored

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I use my Wrangler as a family vehicle. No issues or concerns. Kiddos love jumping into the Jeep and I love the fact I can drive something that offers a manual transportation and a convertible

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 392, 21 BMW M2 competition, 11 Subaru STi
lol the last loaner I had was a BMW X4 while my car was in the shop and I complained to my friends about what a stupid vehicle it is. Because it is. $10k more for a less practical X3. Dumb as hell.

But I don't get the minivan hate. I would rock the hell out of a minivan if I had kids.
Shoot almost thought about getting a van instead of a truck. Great for road trips, and could probably fit my motorcycle in it with the seats out. I know two guys who drive minivans as their only car, though they are both in bands.
Maybe someday I'll have the balls to be a van-man.

dcs12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Silverado
When changing a diaper in a minivan use the rear cargo area with the third row laid down flat. Super easy.

sliding doors are great because they give you a much wider opening and you don’t have to worry about other vehicles getting hit when your kids open the doors.

they aren’t so bad when you actually think of them as a tool. They are great at what they were designed for, moving people.

back when my wife was pregnant with our third kid, I had her go and try out all kinds of SUVs (she drove a highlander at the time). She looked at ones that had somewhat to fully usable third rows (sequoia, Tahoe, Expedition, suburban etc…). She tried them all out…..putting the 2 kids in the seats, helping them buckle, then putting in the baby seat.
She refused to look at minivans, but I eventually talked he in to at least testing one……she got over her “feelings” and discovered that it was the best tool.

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Anytime I see a grown ass adult driving a minivan, I get sad - willfully purchasing and driving a vehicle like that is basically a very large and public admission that you have basically given up. On everything.

You've accepted defeat, and driving a minivan is your punishment.
I hate minivans. But if you have multiple young kids, a minivan is a life saver…tons of cup holders, easy access to child seats, etc. And, you’re so happy to get rid of it when the kids grow up a little, you don’t even mind the crappy resale value.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Yeah I guess I don't really understand what the point of this thread is. Different vehicles are better suited to different people with different needs/usage patterns. Your Wrangler is perfect for your situation. For different people it would be a nightmare and a minivan is perfect. So what?

I say this as someone in a 2 Wrangler (our only vehicles) household with 3 kids. I would never try to argue the Wranglers are more practical family vehicles vs other options out there. On the contrary I kind of like the idea that we chose fun over practicality. Like driving on the highway in the rain with the doors off. 😋 I like that our Jeeps let us have fun and be a little silly/dumb/impractical here and there. Never any complaints from the adults or the kids.

Also not sure I'd count "it's actually less safe, but it feels safer" as a plus. Hehe.
Sponsored