Sponsored

Family Friendly Badge of Honor Trail Near Moab

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392; 2018 JLUR (sold); 2016 JKU (sold)
Hey guys/gals. I have a family road trip to Moab and Park City, Utah later this month. I would like to hit one or two Badge of Honor trails while we are in the Moab area. From what I have read, Fins and Things may be the easiest of these trails. What is your experience? Are there any others that you would recommend?

Keep in mind I don't want to attempt anything too technical (dangerous) with my wife and daughters in the Jeep with me. I appreciate any recommendations you might have. Thanks!
Sponsored

Alex01

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Wrangler, 2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Fins is quite easy but very fun and always my first trail to remind me of the amazing moab traction. Poison spider is also fun but I'd recommend you have a small lift and bigger tires. Hells isn't very hard but is off camber at spots and has large ledges.

If you have time I'd hit up elephant hill. Its a great trail with tons of valley views. The first part is the hardest but its not bad at all.

Don't forget top of the world either. The few from the top is amazing. I swear it looks further down then 10 grand canyons.

Check out red rock 4 wheelers website. They have great trail ratings. Also charles wells has a great book with moab trails.

hockeynut258

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Elephant hill is probably the most scenic, not very technical but overall a lot of fun. It will be a full day as it’s 1.5 hour drive south of Moab.

Fins and Things or hells revenge are both a lot of fun and close to town. Not sure how old your daughter is but if shes young that may be the best as they’ll make for the shortest day. They feature the iconic Moab “fins”, like a slow motion roller coaster in your jeep

if you’re not set on just doing badge of honor trails Seven Mile Rim is a great half day and fairly close to town. Not very technical but a good variety of trail conditions and classic Moab cliff overlooks.

You’ll have a great time exploring and I second the red rock wheelers webpage.

https://www.rr4w.com/Trails-Home.cfm

OP
OP
texasbryan

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fins is quite easy but very fun and always my first trail to remind me of the amazing moab traction. Poison spider is also fun but I'd recommend you have a small lift and bigger tires. Hells isn't very hard but is off camber at spots and has large ledges.

If you have time I'd hit up elephant hill. Its a great trail with tons of valley views. The first part is the hardest but its not bad at all.

Don't forget top of the world either. The few from the top is amazing. I swear it looks further down then 10 grand canyons.

Check out red rock 4 wheelers website. They have great trail ratings. Also charles wells has a great book with moab trails.
Thank you Alex! I actually just bought the Charles Wells book last week and will definitely have it with us. I appreciate your recommendations.

OP
OP
texasbryan

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elephant hill is probably the most scenic, not very technical but overall a lot of fun. It will be a full day as it’s 1.5 hour drive south of Moab.

Fins and Things or hells revenge are both a lot of fun and close to town. Not sure how old your daughter is but if shes young that may be the best as they’ll make for the shortest day. They feature the iconic Moab “fins”, like a slow motion roller coaster in your jeep

if you’re not set on just doing badge of honor trails Seven Mile Rim is a great half day and fairly close to town. Not very technical but a good variety of trail conditions and classic Moab cliff overlooks.

You’ll have a great time exploring and I second the red rock wheelers webpage.

https://www.rr4w.com/Trails-Home.cfm
Thank you for those suggestions. Seven Mile Rim sounds great!

Sponsored

Alex01

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Wrangler, 2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Thank you Alex! I actually just bought the Charles Wells book last week and will definitely have it with us. I appreciate your recommendations.
You'll have a blast. I've been twice now and still feel like I've barely scratch the surface. When reading through the charles wells book don't pay too much attention to the ratings. The easy rated a lowered civic could do, the medium an outback, and the hard ranges from grand cherokee to rock buggy. The red rock 4 wheelers site is much better on ratings. I'd guess a stock jeep could do anything 5 or under and a great driver in a stock jeep could likely do 6's.

drippy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2015 Toyota Highlander, 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo
Just got back from there a few weeks ago. First time out and did Find and Things. Fun, scary, easy?? Also did Pucker Pass, which was nice up, until 1 rutted out sandy spot. And did the trail out toward Chicken Corners, just to the pass at the top.

20210517_122829.jpg

20210517_173347.jpg

20210521_190614.jpg

20210521_184346.jpg

20210517_173214.jpg

OP
OP
texasbryan

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got back from there a few weeks ago. First time out and did Find and Things. Fun, scary, easy?? Also did Pucker Pass, which was nice up, until 1 rutted out sandy spot. And did the trail out toward Chicken Corners, just to the pass at the top.

Jeep Wrangler JL Family Friendly Badge of Honor Trail Near Moab 20210517_173214

Your pictures look amazing!

CO JL Rubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2D Rubicon, 2018 JKU Rubicon
can you just go out and do these? I am looking for a late summer trip but I am solo....recommended to do by myself?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
You can check out post number 31 &36 here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ils-for-pusses”-—-list-them-here.56846/page-3

if you decide to do Fins and Things, you will likely scrape a little ….. I was very careful and scraped in a few spots. There are also some obstacles that have bypasses if you wish. I didn’t take any of the bypasses. Your rubicon won’t have any trouble per se…… just be prepared to scrape a bit.

There is on short section towards the end that is tricky….. you may need a spotter (I had one and I’m glad that I did)…..

I was glad to have done Fins but it’s clearly not for me…. It wasn’t “fun”……. I’ll stick to trails for pusses…… to me, they are fun.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
texasbryan

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can check out post number 31 &36 here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ils-for-pusses”-—-list-them-here.56846/page-3

if you decide to do Fins and Things, you will likely scrape a little ….. I was very careful and scraped in a few spots. There are also some obstacles that have bypasses if you wish. I didn’t take any of the bypasses. Your rubicon won’t have any trouble per se…… just be prepared to scrape a bit.

There is on short section towards the end that is tricky….. you may need a spotter (I had one and I’m glad that I did)…..

I was glad to have done Fins but it’s clearly not for me…. It wasn’t “fun”……. I’ll stick to trails for pusses…… to me, they are fun.
Thank you for that input. Yeah, I’m not sure how much fun I’ll have on Fins either but it would be my first badge and I hope my kids will enjoy it. Chicken Corners and Potash Rd in the link you sent look like nice drives.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
can you just go out and do these? I am looking for a late summer trip but I am solo....recommended to do by myself?
You really should not go on the trail by yourself. With that said, I do it all the time. I ran Fins, Hell's Revenge, and Steel Bender by myself at Moab.

Fins n Things and Hell's Revenge are at Sand Flats recreation area. Its a pretty busy place with a campground. You could most likely tag along with a group once you are there, or at least if you have any trouble there should be someone nearby to help. Those were both pretty easy and well marked. I would not recommend doing anything rated higher than those two by yourself unless you are experienced. Steel Bender has a pretty sketchy drop. I would have turned around if the group I ran into didnt spot me.

SGTZn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 F250 Platinum
Sorry, I just noticed your post. I live in Park City. When are you going to be here? Was just down in Moab to drop off my sons JKUR for skids and fenders. There some fun scenic trials PC that are very close.
If you haven’t left for you trip yet, may I recommend taking a guide in Moab. I did Fins, Hells, and Poison Spyder with my stock JLUR before it was modded. Guide knew trails much better then me, very little scraping. Great for first time in Moab. PM me for more info.