Falken Wildpeak on Rubicon for Ice & Snow

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
Anyone with experience with the stock Falken Wildpeaks that came on the JL as far as handling in Ice & Snow. We just had our first snowfall but it was only a few inches and got packed into ice on the steep hill to my mountainside home. The JL felt a little squirrelly compared to my Pick-up with Blizzaks.

Anyone with more experience with these tires? Report/review please. I don't want to have to pony up for dedicated winter tires. We do live in the land of the 7 month winter. :CWL:
Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I do miss my Subaru with Blizzaks for snow.

That said, you will not see that kind of grip from any Jeep tire that I know about yet. So we will see who chimes in, but in my experience:

KM2's - Okay grip, but not ice ready. Had them on my LJ and made it through the winter fine but always went to the Subaru for ice road conditions.
KO2's - Stock tires for the JL were fine but not nearly as grippy as the Blizzaks. Driven for the conditions, I didn't have issues in 4WD. Recommend lowering the pressure to 30psi in the winter and driving slower.
Patagonias - I felt that they had better grip in snow and ice, though again will never compare to Blizzaks. Lower pressure and slower driving got me through the passes without drama.
KM3's - No real experience yet. But I bet I'll be the slow guy in the right lane with 4WD engaged.

I do wish we had Blizzaks in 315/70-17's. :dunno:

97redjeep

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, slightly modded 97 TJ, 2018 Power Wagon, 99 2500 24V
I just posted a blurb about these this morning on another wildpeak question, I had them siped and am amazed with how they worked. I also live in the land of, well, 6 1/2 months winter .

OP
OP
Frostbit

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
I just posted a blurb about these this morning on another wildpeak question, I had them siped and am amazed with how they worked. I also live in the land of, well, 6 1/2 months winter .

I had the spare set of Falken Wildpeak MT's on Gladiator rims I picked up on Craigslist studded today. Amazing difference on the same icy hill to my house.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I wish they made michelin x-ice in JLUR stock size. I had those on a yukon for 4 yrs in buffalo/toronto, great, quiet, very good life, sold them for 50/tire unmounted less than I paid when I moved back.

Sponsored

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
I do miss my Subaru with Blizzaks for snow.

That said, you will not see that kind of grip from any Jeep tire that I know about yet. So we will see who chimes in, but in my experience:

KM2's - Okay grip, but not ice ready. Had them on my LJ and made it through the winter fine but always went to the Subaru for ice road conditions.
KO2's - Stock tires for the JL were fine but not nearly as grippy as the Blizzaks. Driven for the conditions, I didn't have issues in 4WD. Recommend lowering the pressure to 30psi in the winter and driving slower.
Patagonias - I felt that they had better grip in snow and ice, though again will never compare to Blizzaks. Lower pressure and slower driving got me through the passes without drama.
KM3's - No real experience yet. But I bet I'll be the slow guy in the right lane with 4WD engaged.

I do wish we had Blizzaks in 315/70-17's. :dunno:
Nokians are generally regarded as even better than Blizzaks and come in the stock Rubicon size. Also available in that 315/70/R17 size you mentioned so maybe a good option for you to check out.
https://www.nokiantires.com/amp/tires/winter-tires/nokian-hakkapeliitta-lt3/

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link

BoiledDogs

First Name
Tex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Gun Bunny
I run Gladiator Rubicon takeoff Wildpeak AT3Ws and they are very good in snow. They have the alpine symbol so they are legal for Germany where snow tires are required in the winter months.
Sponsored