Sponsored

Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/65R18 on 2019 JL Unlimited Sahara?

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

Folks,

I've read all of the applicable posts on these forums, and I am hoping to find out if anyone has tried these specific tires - Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/65R18 on a stock 4 door unlimited Sahara? My stock tires are 255/70R18, and most tire websites say they won't put the tires I'm interested in on a stock Jeep (but a local "Jack my Jeep" associated with a local dealer says it would). The size differences don't seem like they should present a problem for me, don't see how it should cause rubbing or anything.

My goal is wider tires for driving on the beach without having to worry about airing down (please, I know what I am supposed to do, just old and find it annoying!). I've read a number of posts saying these tires would be fine, a number of posts that say the tires are too large.

So I ask: anyone out there have these specific tires in this size on a JL Unlimited Sahara with no lift or spacing? I have to assume there is, these are supposed to be wildly popular tires. I sure would appreciate any feedback on direct experience anyone might have to share! It would be wonderful to know I could make the switch without causing the death wobble in my old JL that turned it into a new JL.

Thanks!
Sponsored

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
275/70R18 is the biggest tire a stock Sahara with no lift, no spacers or without a large negative offset can fit without rubbing. That size of tire equals 33.2" diameter and 10.8 or 11" wide IIRC.

If you go to a tire size calculator and plug in your numbers you can see how the 265mm width coupled with the lower aspect ratio plays out.

Good luck

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
I have a 2018 Sport JL with Falken Wildpeak AT3W @ 285/70R/17 - No lift - no rub - .75" spacer in the front just to level it after my front bumper.

Edit*** Before (Stock) and After (WildPeak)

Jeep Wrangler JL Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/65R18 on 2019 JL Unlimited Sahara? JeepTires

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is they should fit.

I have 275/70R18 KO2s on my Sahara, which works out to 33.2 x 10.8 inches. I have no rubbing.

285/65R18 works out to 32.6 x 11.2 inches. My hunch is it should fit since it is a smaller tire overall.

Here’s a tire size comparison https://tiresize.com/comparison/

dajaga

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport
I got at3w 275\70r18 and previous had 255\65r18. They fit wonderful, I also got a2.5 spacer lift, from what I can tell no rubbing. Might consider going with the 275\70 over the 285\65 for more side wall, just a thought.

Also my mileage went up a mpg maybe not quite. Also just a fyi be prepared for slower acceleration and keep a little more distance from the driver in front of you as your stopping distance has increased.

Took them offroad week ago, went through mud, sand, Hills with loose dirt, up smooth rocks. Very happy with them, I am far from a pro and still learning.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ekimgnuj

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

275/70R18 is the biggest tire a stock Sahara with no lift, no spacers or without a large negative offset can fit without rubbing. That size of tire equals 33.2" diameter and 10.8 or 11" wide IIRC.

If you go to a tire size calculator and plug in your numbers you can see how the 265mm width coupled with the lower aspect ratio plays out.

Good luck

Good luck
Thanks, much obliged! What had me confused was that what I had seen on the tire calculator was that the 275/70R18 is taller (by only 14 mm but still taller) than the 285/65R18, I assumed height would be the problem, not width. Thanks!

OP
OP
ekimgnuj

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I have a 2018 Sport JL with Falken Wildpeak AT3W @ 285/70R/17 - No lift - no rub - .75" spacer in the front just to level it after my front bumper.

Edit*** Before (Stock) and After (WildPeak)

Thanks - and looks great!

Jeep Wrangler JL Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/65R18 on 2019 JL Unlimited Sahara? JeepTires

OP
OP
ekimgnuj

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

My guess is they should fit.

I have 275/70R18 KO2s on my Sahara, which works out to 33.2 x 10.8 inches. I have no rubbing.

285/65R18 works out to 32.6 x 11.2 inches. My hunch is it should fit since it is a smaller tire overall.

Here’s a tire size comparison https://tiresize.com/comparison/
Thanks, much obliged! That is what I thought, and I used that website and saw that the overall size and height were a little less on the 285, so I'm not sure where the rubbing would come from. The tire size indicator also told me going from my stock to the 275/75 was a problem, but that the 285 was OK (less percentage of change I guess). I appreciate the info!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, much obliged! That is what I thought, and I used that website and saw that the overall size and height were a little less on the 285, so I'm not sure where the rubbing would come from. The tire size indicator also told me going from my stock to the 275/75 was a problem, but that the 285 was OK (less percentage of change I guess). I appreciate the info!
In fairness, the 275/70R18 KO2s rub very slightly at extreme articulation. So they are technically correct.

However, I don’t consider it enough of an issue to not get the 33” tires.

Since 285/65R18 are lower and wider, perhaps they rub slightly at extreme articulation as well.

OP
OP
ekimgnuj

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

In fairness, the 275/70R18 KO2s rub very slightly at extreme articulation. So they are technically correct.

However, I don’t consider it enough of an issue to not get the 33” tires.
Ok, thanks! My driving is road and beach, so I don't think I ever get to full articulation!

Sponsored

dajaga

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport
Thanks, much obliged! What had me confused was that what I had seen on the tire calculator was that the 275/70R18 is taller (by only 14 mm but still taller) than the 285/65R18, I assumed height would be the problem, not width. Thanks!
The aspect ratio on a tire is suppose to be the percentage in hight, so 275\70r18 is 275 wide and the height from rim of the tire to the outside surface is 70% of the width of the tire. 275\70 would be about 192 and the 285\65 is About 185. From what I know not all tire sizes are the same from all manufacturers, 275\70r18 from BFG, Falken, Toyo might all be different in width and height

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The aspect ratio on a tire is suppose to be the percentage in hight, so 275\70r18 is 275 wide and the height from rim of the tire to the outside surface is 70% of the width of the tire. 275\70 would be about 192 and the 285\65 is About 185. From what I know not all tire sizes are the same from all manufacturers, 275\70r18 from BFG, Falken, Toyo might all be different in width and height
That is true.

TireSize.com will show you the exact dimensions of each tire.

From what I recall, Falken tires tend to be on the larger end.

OP
OP
ekimgnuj

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I appreciate the info, but holy cow that is illogical. I mean, the 285 stands for 285 mm, so I would think all vendors with a 285 mm width would be, well, 285 mm. Which would mean the height based on ratio (65 vs 75) would also be identical. I don't doubt what you say, it just didn't occur to me! Thanks!!!

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
If your driving is Road and sand you might want to think twice about Falken Wildpeak AT3's? I had stock Bridgestone HT's 18" on my Sahara they were great in sand (less aggressive tread always is!) I switched to do some off road stuff and put on stock size 255/70 18" Wildpeak AT3's and OK off road, really lousy in beach sand, Bridgestone HT's were much, much better. I tow a 1,000 lb boat on a sandy beach and must air down with the Wildpeaks, never had to with the HT's and the Falkens still dig aired down! I think it's always better for the vehicle to air down, I just feel a little lazy sometimes!

The Falkens are to aggressive for sand. When I drove beaches years ago with 2wd beach buggies we always used a tire with the least tread we could find. Of course we aired down to "float" over the sand and with less tread they would not dig! My JLU with the Falken's digs, even aired down they ain't great!!

Plus even with rotation the Falkens will be worn out at about 24K very disappointed!! Off road they worked fine, in snow great, on the beach lousy! I'll be going back to the HT's, found I have not done that much real off road stuff since getting the Falkens, just the beach and the HT's will be much better there!

Just my 2 cents!

Go Jeep!!!

OP
OP
ekimgnuj

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Thanks @wolfdog, I appreciate the info! I understand about the treads, growing up we had a Volkswagen bus that ran great on the beach with balloon tires. I thought the Falken would be about the same as my stock tires (Bridgestone Dueler ATs), but if that is the case I will just stay with what I have (they have been OK in sand) and just go wider. I know I am supposed to air down, but there is one fairly short beach near me where it's just a pain to air down for such a small area - but just as soft as the other beach I drive on, which is 6 or 7 miles long I think. Much obliged!! Maybe I will go back to Goodyear Silent Armors, they were an excellent highway tire but worked great on the beach too!
Sponsored

Last edited: