Sponsored

Falken Wildpeak A/T3W (load range E or C?) vs. Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I'm in the market for a 35" (or metric equivalent) set of tires for my '24 JLUR 4xe. I think I've narrowed it down to these two tires (but open to suggestions outside of them). I'm attempting to move back up the NE, and will likely get dedicated snow tires for when the snow is really falling, but would prefer tires that will do decently on snow, in general. This will be my daily driver, and I don't intend to go crazy with modifications pending later JL updates to electric powered models over the next few years.

I do take the Jeep off-road (Hidden Falls, for example), but I'd say it's probably 80-90% on-road use, so I'm definitely not looking for a mud tire. Road noise matters, as does comfort, but I definitely want something capable off-road, too. KO2s are out because my experience with them in wet weather was downright scary. I had Nitto Ridge Grapplers previously, and they seemed fine.

The Falken A/T3Ws appear to be found in 35x12.50R17 and 315/70R17, in both load range E and load range C. The MTs are available in load range D in 35x12.50R17. I'd love feedback from people who've owned both tires, if possible, especially around road noise and on/off-road performance, but would love general owner experience, too, especially suggestions about the load range to purchase if buying Falkens. Thanks!
Sponsored

tomk62

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Sahara Anvil, 2019 Cherokee
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I have the MTs in load range D in 35x12.50R17 and love them. While doing my research I saw the Falkens and they were on my list, don't think you could go wrong either way.

OP
OP

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I have the MTs in load range D in 35x12.50R17 and love them. While doing my research I saw the Falkens and they were on my list, don't think you could go wrong either way.
How’s the road noise? What other tires have you driven on you can compare the road noise to? I really appreciate it!

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Choose C, unless you are aired down crawling rocks on a regular basis. Hidden falls isn’t constant rock gardens.

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
I have wildpeak at3 315/70. Best tires I've owned in 20 years of jeeping. I have no experience with mt bajas. Dont worryabout the load E, I don't notice anything harsher than the c load ko2 33s I had on before. Maybe cause they are larger, who knows. I run them at 35psi or a little less. I air down to 20psi on dirt/washboard roads and they are great. 28k miles and still have about 50 percent left. My Ko2s were toast at 23k miles.

Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave / 2014 JKRX
I'm in the market for a 35" (or metric equivalent) set of tires for my '24 JLUR 4xe.
The MTs are available in load range D in 35x12.50R17.
Also take a look at the Baja Boss AT in 255/85R17, which is a 35x10x17. Actual diameter is 34.6". They are LR E, but don't fall for the "load range E tires are too stiff" nonsense. I run them on my JKR, and they flex like crazy. They flex so well that I rarely air down below 21-22psi now, even on our rocky New England trails. I am very impressed with the traction of the BBATs in all off-road conditions, and they are great on road with low noise.

tomk62

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Sahara Anvil, 2019 Cherokee
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

How’s the road noise? What other tires have you driven on you can compare the road noise to? I really appreciate it!
I only have the stock Bridgestones to compare to, and for me it's no noticeable difference. Very reasonable at highway speeds, can have a conversation with my passenger. I run them at 35 psi.

Maxpwns

First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL rubicon XR
Occupation
Engineer
I always bought E range on my jeep’s outside of knowledge. When I purchased my raptor that came with Baja campions in C range I did more research into tried loads and realized I was putting heavier load tires causing a stiffer ride. With this knowledge in hand go with C range. Softer ride on road.

Jeepalady17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wragler Sport S
I'm in the market for a 35" (or metric equivalent) set of tires for my '24 JLUR 4xe. I think I've narrowed it down to these two tires (but open to suggestions outside of them). I'm attempting to move back up the NE, and will likely get dedicated snow tires for when the snow is really falling, but would prefer tires that will do decently on snow, in general. This will be my daily driver, and I don't intend to go crazy with modifications pending later JL updates to electric powered models over the next few years.

I do take the Jeep off-road (Hidden Falls, for example), but I'd say it's probably 80-90% on-road use, so I'm definitely not looking for a mud tire. Road noise matters, as does comfort, but I definitely want something capable off-road, too. KO2s are out because my experience with them in wet weather was downright scary. I had Nitto Ridge Grapplers previously, and they seemed fine.

The Falken A/T3Ws appear to be found in 35x12.50R17 and 315/70R17, in both load range E and load range C. The MTs are available in load range D in 35x12.50R17. I'd love feedback from people who've owned both tires, if possible, especially around road noise and on/off-road performance, but would love general owner experience, too, especially suggestions about the load range to purchase if buying Falkens. Thanks!
I am in snow country here at about 9300' elevation and put on the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/Ts and my driveway is on a steep incline and just had a big snowstorm w ice as well and the MT's went up no problem, gripped well and they were rock solid on the snow covered and icy mountain roads.. Super satisfied.. My friend has the Falken Wildpeaks and he said he didn't like them as well in the snow and is thinking of switching to MT's... Just my 2 cents worth.. I think you would like the Baja Boss tires if you are in a snowy area. They are great on and off pavement as well

OP
OP

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I have wildpeak at3 315/70. Best tires I've owned in 20 years of jeeping. I have no experience with mt bajas. Dont worryabout the load E, I don't notice anything harsher than the c load ko2 33s I had on before. Maybe cause they are larger, who knows. I run them at 35psi or a little less. I air down to 20psi on dirt/washboard roads and they are great. 28k miles and still have about 50 percent left. My Ko2s were toast at 23k miles.
They make a load range C in that size, as well, so the E load range is no issue. Thank you!

Sponsored

OP
OP

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I am in snow country here at about 9300' elevation and put on the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/Ts and my driveway is on a steep incline and just had a big snowstorm w ice as well and the MT's went up no problem, gripped well and they were rock solid on the snow covered and icy mountain roads.. Super satisfied.. My friend has the Falken Wildpeaks and he said he didn't like them as well in the snow and is thinking of switching to MT's... Just my 2 cents worth.. I think you would like the Baja Boss tires if you are in a snowy area. They are great on and off pavement as well
Hove you ridden in his Jeep to compare on-road noise? I greatly appreciate the insight. I'm actually surprised the Wildpeaks are that much worse in snow based on the Tirerack testing, but that's great info to know.

Jeepalady17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hove you ridden in his Jeep to compare on-road noise? I greatly appreciate the insight. I'm actually surprised the Wildpeaks are that much worse in snow based on the Tirerack testing, but that's great info to know.
No I haven't ridden in it and he saus they are great for highway and offroad but he has become stuck a few times in snow but I guess that can happen with any of them if you aren't prepared....

OP
OP

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
No I haven't ridden in it and he saus they are great for highway and offroad but he has become stuck a few times in snow but I guess that can happen with any of them if you aren't prepared....
Yeah, my intent is to run winter tires when conditions are consistently snowy/icy, I'm just looking for ATs that aren't terrible until the conditions are consistent.

Jeepalady17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, my intent is to run winter tires when conditions are consistently snowy/icy, I'm just looking for ATs that aren't terrible until the conditions are consistent.
Makes good sense...I had to find a "happy medium" cuz I can't afford two sets of tires.. They have obscene pricing these days (like everything else) Glad I got my 2023 when I did because now I couldn't afford it SIGH!

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave / 2014 JKRX
... I did more research into tried loads and realized I was putting heavier load tires causing a stiffer ride. With this knowledge in hand go with C range. Softer ride on road.
I see this getting repeated & parroted on several different Jeep forums to the point where most people believe it is fact.

Not all Load Range E tires are created equal. LR E tires get their load carrying capacity from their construction and ability to run high tire pressure to carry the load. This does not always equate to a 'stiffer' sidewall, no matter how many times you have read about it on the interweb.

For example, I'm running 255/85R17 (35x10x17) Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT, which are Load Range E. Comparing them (unmounted) to my old KM2s, also LR E, the sidewalls are noticeably more flexible. I've also run them back-to-back with 285/70R17 KO2s in Load Range C, and there is no noticeable difference in ride quality. Off-road, the LRE BBATs flex really well, even up at about 22psi, where I used to have to air down to 15psi on my KM2s.
Sponsored