Sponsored

Falken Wildpeak A/T3W Confusion

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
Everything I’ve read about the Wildpeak A/T3W tires has been positive, plus I like the way they look. Thus, I decided I’d buy a set as I’m in the market to go larger. Here’s what I learned when I started shopping: The ones that Jeep is putting on the Gladiator Rubicons are LT285/70/17 116Q with a C1 load range (same ratings as the stock KO2’s). The only Wildpeaks that you can buy in the marketplace now are the passenger car rated P285/70/17 117T SL load range ones or the LT’s that are 121S with E1 load range (10 ply, stiff sidewalls and heavy). Apparently lots of Wranglers are now running the P’s and not the LT’s. Is that stupid to run non-LT tires on a Wrangler or will they be fine? I’m not going to rock crawl but don’t want to have to baby my tires when I go off road, either.
Sponsored

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech
You could also find some gladiator rubicon takeoffs for a good price. I had the p rated ones on my Tacoma and they are a great tire. When I went moderate wheeling I aired them down to 20 so of course there’s give and take in p vs lt. P will yield better gas mileage and ride whereas the lt is more sturdy and heavy. If you want that particular load rating I’d say check your local sales places (craigslist, fb marketplace, local dealerships) and see if you can’t find the gladiator take offs there. Then if you need a full size spare, just pick up any 285 70 17.

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
I have 285/70-17 E rated BFG AT’s on my 2 door sport. They are stiff but still a nice ride. So you could get the E’s no problem just air them down a bit to 30-35.

My next set may be the P rated Falken 285’s. I have P rated Falken 275/55-20 on my GMC Sierra and they are excellent tires.

I would likely never need the extra features on the E.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Everything I’ve read about the Wildpeak A/T3W tires has been positive, plus I like the way they look. Thus, I decided I’d buy a set as I’m in the market to go larger. Here’s what I learned when I started shopping: The ones that Jeep is putting on the Gladiator Rubicons are LT285/70/17 116Q with a C1 load range (same ratings as the stock KO2’s). The only Wildpeaks that you can buy in the marketplace now are the passenger car rated P285/70/17 117T SL load range ones or the LT’s that are 121S with E1 load range (10 ply, stiff sidewalls and heavy). Apparently lots of Wranglers are now running the P’s and not the LT’s. Is that stupid to run non-LT tires on a Wrangler or will they be fine? I’m not going to rock crawl but don’t want to have to baby my tires when I go off road, either.
P = passenger vehicle, which is exactly what a Jeep is. Even full size trucks come with P rated tires from the factory. Plus, with the Wildpeak A/T3W specifically, the P rated version has a different silica compound and will be the best for foul weather. It's also MUCH lighter, less expensive, and has a mileage warranty. The sidewalls are BEEF on the P-rated Falkens. I ran them on a F-150 for almost 30,000 miles and they saw all conditions and gravel roads. Excellent tires.

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
P = passenger vehicle, which is exactly what a Jeep is. Even full size trucks come with P rated tires from the factory. Plus, with the Wildpeak A/T3W specifically, the P rated version has a different silica compound and will be the best for foul weather. It's also MUCH lighter, less expensive, and has a mileage warranty. The sidewalls are BEEF on the P-rated Falkens. I ran them on a F-150 for almost 30,000 miles and they saw all conditions and gravel roads. Excellent tires.
^x100

Sponsored

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
AML Investigator
I'm in discussions to swap out my Toyo OC AT3's because even the slightest bit of water on the roads and my Sahara is fishtailing away.

I'd like to swap out to a 285/75R17, but it's an E-load. Currently running 285/70R17's, but the gentleman told me I can get whatever size I want.

Like the falkens, but damn they are heavy. the 285/70 is lbs + my wheel. No really any better options out there that are light. Not a fan of the KO2's, as I need good wet traction.

May just swap out to the Wildpeak AT3W in the C load and call it a day. the 285/75's would be 73 lbs, the 315/70's would be 76 lbs.

Kahunadave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS 2.0 Etorque; 2015 GrCherokee ltd 2wd
Occupation
Auto Lending
I'm in discussions to swap out my Toyo OC AT3's because even the slightest bit of water on the roads and my Sahara is fishtailing away.

I'd like to swap out to a 285/75R17, but it's an E-load. Currently running 285/70R17's, but the gentleman told me I can get whatever size I want.

Like the falkens, but damn they are heavy. the 285/70 is lbs + my wheel. No really any better options out there that are light. Not a fan of the KO2's, as I need good wet traction.

May just swap out to the Wildpeak AT3W in the C load and call it a day. the 285/75's would be 73 lbs, the 315/70's would be 76 lbs.
I like Falken also.. but looking more at a general use tire.. the Falken Rubitreks. 275/65/18s. im not changing out a whole lot yet so just taking things one step at a time.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
I've been researching tires as well and looking at "SL" tires to replace my OEM. It is variable by brand and tire model, but on many AT tires the load rating between SL and C is almost identical (116 or 117) with the main differences being tread depth and the ply rating. The ply rating is really just a measure of sidewall toughness since it's an old school term for when tires were bias ply.

Going to an E is another step up in sidewall toughness and max air pressure, so thus max load.

Here is the Falken example. The SL tire actually has a slightly higher load index number than the C.
Jeep Wrangler JL Falken Wildpeak A/T3W Confusion 1665074626481

So, my conclusion is that for SOME AT tires the "P" spec is fine unless you need the sidewall toughness and tread depth.

Doc .50

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I just ordered a set of A/T3W tires for my 2018 Wrangler JL. They should be in next week, and I'll come back and share a picture and a review.

Sponsored

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
I chickened out about the E load, and got wrangler Rubicon KO2 C load take offs instead.