Falcon JL shock measurements and install

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
I just finished installing my Falcon 2.1 shocks for a 2"-3.5" lift. My Daystar lift came with shock extenders which I ran for a week while I was evaluating how the jeep drove with a lift. After deciding to keep the lift I ordered proper length shocks. Marcus from River City Offroad helped me with the process and information about the shocks that I could not find anywhere else. See below:

Falcon Specs.jpg

If you have specific questions about shock length please reply to this thread and I will answer them for you.

Say what you want about Teraflex but there is no denying that the Falcons are a quality shock. 2.25" body, 3/4" shaft, valved specifically for 2 door and 4 door JL (differently), and fully rebuildable. Comparing them to my stock shocks on a brand new Rubicon goes like this...…. They have a firmer ride. They are not harsh but they are firm. Good firm. They control the Jeep MUCH better than the OEM shocks. Handling is vastly improved, less body roll, less wandering in the wind and more responsive steering. Let me know if you have specific questions. I will report back once I have had a chance to stretch them out.

Falcon 1.jpg
Falcon 3.jpg
Falcon 4.jpg
Falcon 5.jpg
Falcon 6.jpg
Falcon 7.jpg

-Eli
Sponsored

OP
OP
TJEli

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
I flexed them out in my shop for some measurements. I do not have a jack that goes high enough to get max droop. I am forced to run 2" bumpstops so I don't flatten my coils on compression. This does allow me to run the longer shock and actually gain an additional 1" of droop in the front over the OEM shocks and extensions. Obviously the bump stop extensions are not needed for 33" tires but they are needed to save the coils.
Falcon Flex (1).jpg
Falcon Flex (2).jpg
Falcon Flex (3).jpg
Falcon Flex (4).jpg
Falcon Flex (5).jpg
Falcon Flex (6).jpg

-Eli

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for this. A couple of questions.

I’m planning to install a 2.5” Metalcloak lift on a JLUR. It’s not available yet so nobody knows if it’s actually 2.5”, higher, or lower. I’m leaning towards the 3.1 Falcons. The table you posted only shows it to be for lift heights up to 2”. I’m presuming that 2.5” will be fine?

Also, this:
upload_2018-9-28_13-43-40.jpeg

Is the attachment point at the bottom going to be OK over time with it seeming to be skewed in relation to the mounting bracket like that?

OP
OP
TJEli

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
Their 2" shock will be the one you want for your lift as long as you run 2" bumpstop extensions front and rear. That bushing is flexed in the picture because that corner of the suspension is at full stuff. Look at the coil spring. ;)

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
I just finished installing my Falcon 2.1 shocks for a 2"-3.5" lift. My Daystar lift came with shock extenders which I ran for a week while I was evaluating how the jeep drove with a lift. After deciding to keep the lift I ordered proper length shocks. Marcus from River City Offroad helped me with the process and information about the shocks that I could not find anywhere else. See below:

Falcon Specs.jpg

If you have specific questions about shock length please reply to this thread and I will answer them for you.

Say what you want about Teraflex but there is no denying that the Falcons are a quality shock. 2.25" body, 3/4" shaft, valved specifically for 2 door and 4 door JL (differently), and fully rebuildable. Comparing them to my stock shocks on a brand new Rubicon goes like this...…. They have a firmer ride. They are not harsh but they are firm. Good firm. They control the Jeep MUCH better than the OEM shocks. Handling is vastly improved, less body roll, less wandering in the wind and more responsive steering. Let me know if you have specific questions. I will report back once I have had a chance to stretch them out.

Falcon 1.jpg
Falcon 3.jpg
Falcon 4.jpg
Falcon 5.jpg
Falcon 6.jpg
Falcon 7.jpg

-Eli
I have mine and I'm installing them tomorrow. I have a 2.5" lift now but wanted to go up to a 3.5". You think I'll lose a lot of shock travel with a 3.5" lift?

Sponsored

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I've been debating the 2.1 vs. 3.1 for a while and this helps. I did notice when I put in my spacer lift that the parking brake cable on the rear axle was very taught? I've never heard anyone mention that and with the 3.1 the droop might put too much strain on that cable / cable assembly. Is that something anyone is concerned with?

OP
OP
TJEli

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
I have mine and I'm installing them tomorrow. I have a 2.5" lift now but wanted to go up to a 3.5". You think I'll lose a lot of shock travel with a 3.5" lift?

No. They are long travel shocks that come very close to bottoming with 2" bumpstop extensions installed. Unless you plan on running more than a 2" bumpstop extension you will not lose anything. You have to remember, a shock can only move so far and you do not want to bottom them out at full compression. If you want to run a 3" bumpstop extension in the rear to stuff 37s or larger without having to modify your inner fender you can get a slightly longer shock from Falcon or use a 1" shock extension.

-Eli

lembowski

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray
Thanks for this. A couple of questions.

I’m planning to install a 2.5” Metalcloak lift on a JLUR. It’s not available yet so nobody knows if it’s actually 2.5”, higher, or lower. I’m leaning towards the 3.1 Falcons. The table you posted only shows it to be for lift heights up to 2”. I’m presuming that 2.5” will be fine?

Also, this:
upload_2018-9-28_13-43-40.jpeg

Is the attachment point at the bottom going to be OK over time with it seeming to be skewed in relation to the mounting bracket like that?
I spoke with metalcloak today on the 2.5 kit. The springs have been ordered so they are 30-60 days out from being able to sell. The kit on a Rubicon will sit between 2.5 & 3” depending on weight (steel bumper, winch, armor, load). If you have these things expect 2.5, if you don’t expect closer to 3”.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I spoke with metalcloak today on the 2.5 kit. The springs have been ordered so they are 30-60 days out from being able to sell. The kit on a Rubicon will sit between 2.5 & 3” depending on weight (steel bumper, winch, armor, load). If you have these things expect 2.5, if you don’t expect closer to 3”.
Thanks. Metalcloak has been saying “almost ready” on the 2.5 for many months now. I won’t have my Jeep until the end of the year/ beginning of next year at best so no big deal on release time. What about the mounting angle? Doesn't look optimal. Am I wrong?

lembowski

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray
Thanks. Metalcloak has been saying “almost ready” on the 2.5 for many months now. I won’t have my Jeep until the end of the year/ beginning of next year at best so no big deal on release time. What about the mounting angle? Doesn't look optimal. Am I wrong?
Not sure on the angle for these shocks. I think Teraflex has a spacer on the lower shock mount to offset them. But the angle does look a little off.

I’ve been calling them every 3 weeks to check on the 2.5 and they went through 3 or 4 versions of the springs in testing to get them right. I was kinda hoping they would be a 2.5 based on the stock Rubicon with no metal bumpers. All these kits are far exceeding the lift advertised. Teraflex’s 2.5 springs were released then they stopped selling them as they were actually giving 3 to 3.5” of lift. How the hell does that make it through R&D/Q&A testing? I may just be getting the EVO Stage 2 kit and some Falcon 3.3’s

Sponsored

OP
OP
TJEli

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
The angle when installed is perfect. There are offset bushings front and rear. The bushings are perfectly level at normal ride height. ALL shocks twist in their bushings as the suspension cycles.

-Eli

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The angle when installed is perfect. There are offset bushings front and rear. The bushings are perfectly level at normal ride height. ALL shocks twist in their bushings as the suspension cycles.

-Eli
Thank you. I can see that this photo appears to be with the shock in a very compressed position, hence the torsion. Just making sure that you found the fitment to be correct when you installed it. As of now I plan to go with the Falcon 3.1 with Metalcloak’s 2.5” Game Changer suspension.

Punk'n2doorsport

First Name
Willian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler sport, 6spd manual, 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trucker
Vehicle Showcase
Amazing this is just what I was looking for. Im doing my own susp set up, im doing clayton 2.5" rear with syngery 2" front and falcon 2.1s so i need to extend the bump stops 2" and ill be golden?
Also the reason for the rake is i tow and i have an overland build so i have like 150 soon to be 300lb in gear on rear axle plus i tow.
I called clayton and they said they are set up for overlanding and have a stiffer spring then most

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Amazing this is just what I was looking for. Im doing my own susp set up, im doing clayton 2.5" rear with syngery 2" front and falcon 2.1s so i need to extend the bump stops 2" and ill be golden?
Also the reason for the rake is i tow and i have an overland build so i have like 150 soon to be 300lb in gear on rear axle plus i tow.
I called clayton and they said they are set up for overlanding and have a stiffer spring then most
Bump is to protect shock bottoming out but also very much to keep tires out of your fenders. Here is a great reference (starting point) from Teraflex, the maker of Falcon shocks.

Teraflex.JPG

Punk'n2doorsport

First Name
Willian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler sport, 6spd manual, 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Trucker
Vehicle Showcase
Bump is to protect shock bottoming out but also very much to keep tires out of your fenders. Here is a great reference (starting point) from Teraflex, the maker of Falcon shocks.

Jeep Wrangler JL Falcon JL shock measurements and install Teraflex.JPG
Well i currently only have 33s, so by this chart i can just leave stock bumps in and buy the falcon/terriflex replacement so when i go to 35s i already have proper bump?
Sponsored