Fake Dash Grab Handle Bolts.

mpauly

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon unlimited JLU
I’ve tried to mount bulletpoint and ram mounts using the exposed silver allen bolts. Mine seem to be decoronly. They only thread into the rubberized material of the handle and won’t tighten down. Both products purchased were specifically designed for this location. Can anyone verify if these are I dead fake/decorative? I was really hoping to use these as mounting points.

image.jpg
Sponsored

Miloe

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
18JLUR and the left bolt works with the ball mount, needs some loctite or I need passengers to stop messing with it. Never tried the right side.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Iirc, the thread pitch is weird and you need to apply force to insert a ball mount..

EDIT: Also looks like the cheaper Bulletproof ball isn't a good fit and might not fully tighten down versus the CMM ball..

OP
OP
mpauly

mpauly

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iirc, the thread pitch is weird and you need to apply force to insert a ball mount..

EDIT: Also looks like the cheaper Bulletproof ball isn't a good fit and might not fully tighten down versus the CMM ball..

I have the CMM ball as well and neither one threads into any metal.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mpauly

mpauly

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Even while applying force/pressure like in the first video?
Yes it’s like they didn’t put anything threaded behind it. Even the factory one doesn’t really thread in to anything

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
FYI, keep the area above that grab handle free from accessories. That's the passenger airbag. Anything placed there will explode into your passenger's face if the airbag is deployed.

I know, it's a really tempting spot to put stuff. But don't.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Yes it’s like they didn’t put anything threaded behind it. Even the factory one doesn’t really thread in to anything
Hmm, really not sure then. Hopefully it's not stripped out. The first video I posted mentioned a black "grommet" sometimes coming out with the factory bolt, which is actually plastic from the countersunk hole. Think he said it was only reported on some early JTs, but maybe something like that would keep the bolt/ball from fully screwing in?

Don't plan on taking my own bolts out until I actually decide if that's where I'm mounting a ball.. and now I'm a little afraid to even fuck with it.

The CMM mount in the upper grab handle on the A pillar seems like a safe bet (probably a different part), since there should be threaded clips behind the covers iirc, but I'm really not a fan of having phone/tablet screens visible to other drivers. Seems like an easy way to get pulled over for distracted driving.

cafecito820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Any chance of getting a camera in there? This is really odd. I've done this on 4 of them, and they all have worked like plain old bolts do.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
The 67 Designs really hold well compared to the bulletproof. I have a couple of them that I'm removing and will put up for sale. Due to a couple of small rescue dogs that won't leave their mothers lap while cruising and I don't want them getting their heads whacked on them.

Does anyone have the part number for the spare fake decorative OEM screws? I gotta snag a couple to fill the holes.

Sponsored

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
The CMM mount in the upper grab handle on the A pillar seems like a safe bet (probably a different part), since there should be threaded clips behind the covers iirc, but I'm really not a fan of having phone/tablet screens visible to other drivers. Seems like an easy way to get pulled over for distracted driving.
Yeah I installed the Apillar for the passenger as a phone mount and it's awesome. It's expensive as a b*tch but once you get it in your hand you know why. Very impressive for sure.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
FYI, keep the area above that grab handle free from accessories. That's the passenger airbag. Anything placed there will explode into your passenger's face if the airbag is deployed.

I know, it's a really tempting spot to put stuff. But don't.
This can't be repeated enough.

shooting4625

First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coming soon 2023 2door wrangler Rubicon
I installed a bullet proof in the grab handle of my 2023 works fine tightens well and holds my GMRS mic well

OP
OP
mpauly

mpauly

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve tried to mount bulletpoint and ram mounts using the exposed silver allen bolts. Mine seem to be decoronly. They only thread into the rubberized material of the handle and won’t tighten down. Both products purchased were specifically designed for this location. Can anyone verify if these are I dead fake/decorative? I was really hoping to use these as mounting points.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fake Dash Grab Handle Bolts. image
Sponsored