Sponsored

Fair price for Left over 2dr 2023 Sport S with manual transmission?

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I don't negotiate. It's a lot easier that way, although most people on the receiving end don't like it. Set your price, state it and then pay it or walk away.
In my experience, there are folks on both sides who don't like it.

As a private seller, my ads are very plain regarding what I'll accept. Some buyers go absolutely cross-eyed when you won't negotiate with them, or when any negotiating doesn't give them the world (as they're obviously hoping for.) This, despite my having a hardcopy of my ad on hand to remind them that I took pains not to mislead them regarding what I'd accept.

I offered 30k OTD and they laughed and said it's the only manual and someone will buy at MSRP at some point.
With respect, Eric, I too might've chuckled at an offer that was +/-$9K below sticker, doubly so if it was a Wrangler. Market interest in and demand for two doors and/or a third pedal does demonstrably exist. It's recurringly mentioned on this forum. To be frank, it is indeed likely that someone will come along and pay the full whack for that '23 JL.

FWIW, it is good that you've determined that the dealer isn't amenable to price discussion. Now you can move on to a dealer who does actually want to sell you a vehicle. Or two.
Sponsored

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
+/-$9K below sticker
I was assuming "about 38k" means more like 37.5 rather than 39. Given Koons is offering 9% below invoice on factory orders, 6-7K below sticker sounded reasonable to me. But they're obviously willing to wait for someone to pay sticker (or close to sticker) since they've only had a couple weeks where they could sell it legally.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
...they're obviously willing to wait for someone to pay sticker (or close to sticker) since they've only had a couple weeks where they could sell it legally.
With the clutch issue in mind, I was indeed thinking that the dealer in question was hoping to take advantage of recent, pent-up demand after the Stop Sale matter was resolved.

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
When I was looking for a Jeep in 2019 I tried to negotiate for like 3k off sticker and they let me walk away. I often wonder if they ever found someone to buy that Jeep as it was pretty specific in having pretty much no features/options on it.

I rarely see other 2dr JLs driving around and I live in a city of almost 10 million people. You'd think they'd be happy someone was interested in it.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
yep...0% I'm also buying a Tundra and was looking at their Toyota dealership. I'll need to take that elsewhere now given the absolute lack of any negotiation.
I think they did negotiate. No reason to take it personal. They have a price they are asking, you asked for a different price and they said no. There is no reason for them to negotiate from your starting point.

I used to work in an environment where negotiations were part of every transaction. When someone starts so far from the other, there really isn't any reason to continue the conversation. You're really negotiating against yourself.

There are different negotiating techniques or philosophies. Some people think start high, and the other person will start low, you meet in the middle where no one is happy (mostly because of all of the back and forth).

I always thought that was inefficient, and instilled distrust and animosity. People get their feelings hurt. I was a very efficient and effective negotiator in my line of business, recognized as someone that was fair and honest.

Start at what is reasonable and accept what is reasonable. You save a lot of time. When a person starts at 25% off sticker, it's probably not reasonable and there is no reason for the other party (dealer) to "negotiate" at that point. Ultimately you both started at laughable amounts. He laughed at your offer and you laughed (got pissed) at his. You didn't do anything different than the dealer did in the negotiation.

If you know they will probably take somewhere between 10% - 15% off sticker, then start at 15% off sticker. That's reasonable, efficient and no one gets their feelings hurt. If you want the vehicle, if you're willing to pay a reasonable and fair amount, then start closer to the fair and reasonable amount and start driving your new Wrangler.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
Start at what is reasonable and accept what is reasonable. You save a lot of time. When a person starts at 25% off sticker, it's probably not reasonable and there is no reason for the other party (dealer) to "negotiate" at that point. Ultimately you both started at laughable amounts...
When I was shopping for mine, I saw a 2018 2-Door base sport selling for 20% off sticker; it was well into the 2019s, and it had been sitting on the lot for a while (long enough the battery was dead when I went to test drive it). It was also the only 2-Door within 2 hours of me—not because they were selling that fast but because no one would stock them because historically they just sat on the lot. There also were 0 manuals to test drive within any reasonable distance—again, because they did not sell no one would stock them.

He asked for 21% off sticker (assuming an MSRP of 38K). We're not well into the 2024s, but the 2024s have been shipping for a few months, and they are the refresh year. There might be pent up demand for manuals due to the stop sale. The Bronco is affecting Jeep sales (unlike when I was shopping). And, all of these things depend on the region. There're a lot of factors in it, but I wouldn't call his offer laughable.

But I agree. There is no reason to take it personally.

Edit: I am forgetting he was asking for out the door pricing, which would change that percentage to be more like 25%. I am always thinking the price + tag/title/tax

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Ok ok ok… I’ve posted this before… and was hoping I wouldn’t have to post it again… ?. If you really want this Jeep for a discounted price, here’s what you do —- Get a couple of friends to help you out.

Send the first friend in and have them pose as a potential customer, and take it for a test drive. Have them put on at least 50 miles, and make sure they run it through the mud and bring it back absolutely filthy, decline to buy, and walk away. The dealership will have to take the time to full detail it to get it back on the lot for sale again.

Then when the Jeep is back on the lot, send friend number two in to do the same thing. At least fifty miles, mud it up good, and return.

After you do this enough times, walk back in with your offer. After the third or fourth full detail, they will gladly want to unload the damn thing, thinking it is cursed! ?. And you’ll have the advantage of fully testing out your new rig.

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
Expecting them to agree to over 20% off is beyond laughable. I have no love for dealers, but that's just an insulting offer lol.

rivercrossing

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XTerra, Miata
I have seen 7k off but at a dealer 100 miles from me. The closest dealer is adding 4k to MSRP.
Location is a big part of negotiating. Some areas have people ready to pay a big markup. Dealers in those places don't need to negotiate, they know someone will pay. But you go a few towns over and you could save a lot. The type of person who would pay a big markup may not have the time to go to a dealer not as close.

I guess you can look at it as trading your time to get a lower price. Time it takes to drive to a dealer far away. How much time vs how much money saved. If you have lots of time but not so much money it is worth it. But some people have no time and plenty of money.

Sponsored

gdeyarmond

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tacoma 4x4 (6mt), 24 JLU Willys (6mt)
If they didn't come back with their price after your offer (albeit it was low, but negotiations start somewhere), just move along. You can order one for well under MSRP, if it gets built is the real question, but there's that option too.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
The Sport S starts at $35,500 (MSRP), so it would be interesting to know what got it over $38k or $39k. Maybe those are all options you (OP) would like. There are many/several dealers offering a percentage off, that would get a new factory order very close to $32k, depending on options selected. It might be best to go that route.
Sponsored