Sponsored

Failed VA state inspection because there's no DOT stamp on the LED headlight assembly

Hardwareman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I have a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with factory installed OEM LED headlights. Today I failed Va state inspection because there is no DOT stamp on the headlight assembly. I purchased it new with these headlights and have passed inspection every year until this one . I do not see a DOT stamp anywhere on the lense or casing. Am I missing something? Has anyone else had this problem?
Sponsored

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
I am in va too haven't experienced that one and I have after market LED headlights. Take it to a different place for the follow up? Seems like where you took it they are clueless. Probably assumed you had aftermarket headlights and since they couldn't find whatever they were looking for they failed you.

Warped

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW GSA, Harley RG, GC Summit Reserve, JT Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Work? What's that?
If it's a 2017, wouldn't that be a JK and not a JL? I don't remember LEDs being offered on the JKs. Could the dealer have installed aftermarket lights? So glad I don't live in VA with the annual safety inspections. Every other year for emissions (in MD) isn't too bad.

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
If it's a 2017, wouldn't that be a JK and not a JL? I don't remember LEDs being offered on the JKs. Could the dealer have installed aftermarket lights? So glad I don't live in VA with the annual safety inspections. Every other year for emissions (in MD) isn't too bad.
My 2017 JK Rubicon had factory LED’s - from recollection it was an option on Rubicon and Sahara models only...certainly not a well known option though.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I have a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with factory installed OEM LED headlights. Today I failed Va state inspection because there is no DOT stamp on the headlight assembly. I purchased it new with these headlights and have passed inspection every year until this one . I do not see a DOT stamp anywhere on the lense or casing. Am I missing something? Has anyone else had this problem?
@Hardwareman

You might just want to take that Jeep to a Jeep dealer's Service Dept., and have them do your inspection. Tell the Service Writer there what is going on.... Ask to speak to the Tech that is doing the Inspection and get him on board so to speak.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
your inspector is an idiot and your government is tyrannical.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Correct. JK offered factory LEDs on 2017-2018 Saharas and Rubicons. They should look like these.
Jeep Wrangler JL Failed VA state inspection because there's no DOT stamp on the LED headlight assembly 1614352797370

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

Just take it to another station. Go to a small mom and pop shop, they pass anything in VA. I used to go to a guy that did not even really look at my TJ. It was lifted without fenders of any sort, a line lock in place of the emergency brake, no doors or mirrors, etc! This was in Roanoke.
Sponsored