Failed VA state inspection because there’s no DOT stamp on LED headlights

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
that must have been some low end insurance. Ive never heard of anything like this before though. That is kinda crazy!
Sorry, the insurance covered it, but his insurance, not the guy that backed into him.
Sponsored

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
I've lived in Illinois and Wisconsin, and I can't remember my lights ever being inspected that closely... they've checked to make sure they work, but they've never popped the hood looking for stickers.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
I just looked at my 2019 JL unlimited (all OEM) and do not see DOT on the lights. The Honda parked next to it has the DOT stamping.

I just can't imagine an inspection station going to those lengths unless you roll into the station barely looking like a Wrangler due to all the bling. I.E. you bought all the Alibaba and Amazon $20 accessories.
I had an inspection station fail my JKU because of the JW Speaker tail lights that had the DOT stamp right on them but had clear lenses with red led lights. The manager of the station insisted that all vehicles had to have red tail light lenses. When I asked about and showed pictures of Lexus, Toyota, Corvettes, etc. that all came with oem clear tail lights, he said he would fail those too. Sometimes the employees at these stations aren't fully aware or knowledgable about the state's actual laws.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Sorry, the insurance covered it, but his insurance, not the guy that backed into him.
oh that freaking blows!.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Go to a different inspection station.

I have had similar issues in the past...one time my Tahoe was failed due to the grille guard at a dealer that had been passing it for years before that. All of a sudden my grille guard was illegal. I told them straight up "ok, guess it's time to find a new dealer". Went to the GMC dealer down the street and they told me there was no problem with the grille guard. Been getting inspected there ever since.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I just looked at my 2019 JL unlimited (all OEM) and do not see DOT on the lights. The Honda parked next to it has the DOT stamping.

I just can't imagine an inspection station going to those lengths unless you roll into the station barely looking like a Wrangler due to all the bling. I.E. you bought all the Alibaba and Amazon $20 accessories.
My 2018 JLUR with halogen headlights has the markings at the top of the lens. I don't recall seeing a factory headlight without it.
20220414_064215.jpg

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I always go to the quick oil change places. They just want to get you in and out. Other shops look for reasons to sell you items to pass if they can find anything. Here there a places that do business as “inspection stations”. They will sell and install you all the stuff you need to pass, at a hefty price.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
From FMVSS 108
S7.Headlighting requirements.S7.1Each passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, and bus manufactured on or after September 1, 1994, shall be equipped with a headlighting system designed to conform to the requirements of S7.3, S7.4, S7.5, or S7.6.S7.2(a)The lens of each original and replacement equipment headlamp, and of each original equipment and replacement equipment beam contributor shall be marked with the symbol “DOT” either horizontally or vertically which shall constitute the certification required by 49 U.S.C. 30115.(b) The lens of each headlamp and of each beam contributor manufactured on or after December 1, 1989, to which paragraph (a) of this section applies shall be marked with the name and/or trademark registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office of the manufacturer of such headlamp or beam contributor, or its importer, or any manufacturer of a vehicle equipped with such headlamp or beam contributor. Nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to authorize the marking of any such name and/or trademark by one who is not the owner, unless the owner has consented to it.(c) Each headlamp and beam contributor to which paragraph (a) of this section applies shall be marked with its voltage and with its part or trade number.(d) Unless stated otherwise, a tolerance of ±1/4 degree is permitted during photometric performance tests for any headlamp or beam contributor, and the test points 10U-90U shall be measured from the normally exposed surface of the lens face. The term ‘aiming plane’ means ‘aiming reference plane’ or an appropriate vertical plane defined by the manufacturer as required in S7.7.1.(e) Each replacement headlamp lens with seal, provided in accordance with S5.8.11, when installed according to the lens manufacturer's instructions on an integral beam or replaceable bulb headlamp, shall not cause the headlamp to fail to comply with any of the requirements of this standard. Each replacement headlamp lens shall be marked with the symbol “DOT”, either horizontally or vertically, to constitute certification. Each replacement headlamp lens shall also be marked with the manufacturer and the part or trade number of the headlamp for which it is intended, and with the name and/or trademark of the lens manufacturer or importer that is registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Nothing in this paragraph shall be construed to authorize the marking of any such name and/or trademark by one who is not the owner, unless the owner has consented to it.