Sponsored

Failed Mopar Lift Install - shame on me!!!

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So Sunday my son and I set out to the Mopar 2 inch lift install in our garage with all the tools we needed, although we didn't have a lift. All went well with prep of the tools and parts are laid out ready to rock and roll. So we started down the install path, with a few minor hiccups along the way, nothing serious. Then we got to the lower control arm bolts, you know the bolt that are torqued to 190 foot pounds.....

My son is 36, works out and regularly lifts 125 pound products at the warehouse he works at, suffice to say he's no light weight (like me...lol). We had a 24 inch breaker bar and no matter how hard we tried (both of us) we could not loosen even the first bolt. It was as if Superman's stronger brother tightened that bolt.

As we sat in disgust, both at ourselves and the bolt, we discussed our options. At the end of a stream of cursing we decided to button everything back up and get the local Jeep shop to do the install (which they are going to do tomorrow). Which really pi$$es me off as I really wanted to do it myself.

In the meantime, I take the Jeep out today for a short hop to the quarter car wash and notice that the steering wheel, instead of being centered as usual, has a distinct turn to the left (eleven o'clock position) to keep the wheels straight. On my way home from the car wash, I got an error code on the dash panel that said "Service Electronic Stability Control".

Since I do not believe in coincidences, I suspect that something we did caused both of these situations. What could we have done? How do I correct it? I assume they can fix the steering wheel when the lift and alignment is done, but not sure if they can reset the error code.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That makes sense, thanks.

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl rubicon 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 ram 3500
You may be better off to buy a Electric impact if you really wanted to do the lift your self unless you have a big air compressor. At least you'd have a new tool when your done.

Last edited:

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Saving seconds saves lives. Trauma Surgery PA.
Bummer on the install. I'm doing mine tomorrow. Hopefully no speed bumps or road blocks like you encountered. So how much is your dealer going to charge for the install?

Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
You may be better off to buy a Electric impact if you really wanted to do the lift your self unless you have a big air compressor. At least you'd have a new tool when your done.
Ah you beat me to it. I couldn’t imagine doing this job without my cordless impact.

jl0519

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Bright White
The Milwaukee m18 1/2" impact is an great tool and will pay for itself on the first use if you don't have to pay a shop to do the lift install.
Fully agree, it'll take care of the LCA bolts with ease. Highly recommended! :like:

Thrive

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Durango R/T, 2007 Mercedes R63 AMG
Nothing beats a longer moment arm, aka if 24” wasn’t long enough put a pipe over it to make it 48”. General Zod could have put on the bolt and at some point a longer bar ALWAYS works. I found a penetrating oil spray down a few hours before I planned on actually doing the suspension work makes it a much nicer day as well. Impact guns are nice but leverage built pyramids.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
The Milwaukee m18 1/2" impact is an great tool and will pay for itself on the first use if you don't have to pay a shop to do the lift install.
We use the same impact at the shop, and it easily loosens those lower control arm bolts. I highly recommend it as well if you plan on future projects with the Jeep. The version we have is very compact and fits in spots our larger air tools will not.

If you want to drive to Houston I would be happy to lend it out :like:

Sponsored

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I used my Ingersoll cordless impact that I bought 6 years ago on my Mopar install, and it's still going strong busting frozen bolts.

traviswalker007

First Name
Tony T Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I did mine in my buddys driveway, 110 in the shade!!! I used a 4ft cheater pipe to break the lower control arms loose, was a bear but I got them loose. Just a quick tip for you. The directions say to loosen the rear upper and lower control arm bolts but do not take out to give you room to drop the rear axel all the way for spring removal. I found that disconnecting the emergency brake cable form booth hubs and also pulling the retainer seat clip out, thats the the little 3 prong deal on the cable that holds the wire. If you disconnect both of those your axel will drop much easier and much further than the other way. You still need to disconnect sensor wires ect as outlined in directions. Also make sure you put the shock bolts and the quick disconeect bolts back into right holes there are 3 different length bolts so be careful as I had to take the shock bolts back out because I had them mixed up and could not get them past the lower portion of the shocks and sway bar holes. After my install my steering wheel was off center just a little bit but not enough to throw any errors as I had my alignment done when I installed the 37in tires. Good Luck and have fun!!!

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I did mine in my buddys driveway, 110 in the shade!!! I used a 4ft cheater pipe to break the lower control arms loose, was a bear but I got them loose. Just a quick tip for you. The directions say to loosen the rear upper and lower control arm bolts but do not take out to give you room to drop the rear axel all the way for spring removal. I found that disconnecting the emergency brake cable form booth hubs and also pulling the retainer seat clip out, thats the the little 3 prong deal on the cable that holds the wire. If you disconnect both of those your axel will drop much easier and much further than the other way. You still need to disconnect sensor wires ect as outlined in directions. Also make sure you put the shock bolts and the quick disconeect bolts back into right holes there are 3 different length bolts so be careful as I had to take the shock bolts back out because I had them mixed up and could not get them past the lower portion of the shocks and sway bar holes. After my install my steering wheel was off center just a little bit but not enough to throw any errors as I had my alignment done when I installed the 37in tires. Good Luck and have fun!!!
It’s a good idea to put the nuts and bolts back after taking a part off so you don’t lose them, mix them up with other nuts and bolts or forget the orientation.

doubletap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
I don't remember which bolt it was on my JK, but I ended up using a 24 inch breaker bar with a hydraulic jack positioned under the end of the bar to break the bolt loose.

Jrauck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ
After working on my TJ with rusted bolts that were extremely hard to get off, I went out and purchased an electric Dewalt impact. I've had it for a few years now and it has saved me money time and time again.
If you plan on doing multiple mods to your jeep I would highly suggest one. Even if bolts aren't hard to get off, it definitely makes things go by quicker.
Sponsored