dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I failed my emissions test today with two errors - EGR system not ready and Evap system not ready. They asked If I'd recently replaced the battery which I haven't but it dawned on me a recent trip to the dealer probably required the battery to be disconnected. I've only driven about 25 -30 miles since the dealer trip and no engine mods. Is anyone familiar with the drive cycles required in the JL for it to re-evaluate the emission? I've read wild things elsewhere from simple drives to 400 miles needed.
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Probably the drive cycle parameters not reached, BUT, in case it was an Emissions failure of some sort, that is Federally Mandated Warranty of 8 years 80,000 miles...

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
In your 25 to 30 miles post dealer trip. How many stops and starts vs highway continuous driving? Normally it sorts itself out after about 15-20 highway miles.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Which engine???

G.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
I failed my emissions test today with two errors - EGR system not ready and Evap system not ready. They asked If I'd recently replaced the battery which I haven't but it dawned on me a recent trip to the dealer probably required the battery to be disconnected. I've only driven about 25 -30 miles since the dealer trip and no engine mods. Is anyone familiar with the drive cycles required in the JL for it to re-evaluate the emission? I've read wild things elsewhere from simple drives to 400 miles needed.
The federally mandated drive cycle monitors should take two complete "trips" to set. All the parameters have to be tested and completed during each trip. A "trip" or drive cycle, is from cold start to the last monitor testing okay. This usually takes anywhere from 15-20 minutes of driving, but can take longer if it's all stop/start city type driving, because some of the monitors require some steady state over 40 mph usually. If you drive it for 30 minutes, with some city street steady speeds in the 40 mph range for a mile or two, that should do it.

If all the monitors aren't set on a drive cycle, the "trip" doesn't count. In other words, you start over next time.

You only need two complete "trips" with the monitors dropping out for it to set the readiness monitor (called the readiness "bit"). Once the readiness bit sets to "ready" then it's ready for emissions testing.

A lot of decent handheld scan tools will show the readiness monitor in their menus. It will simply say "readiness=yes" or "readiness=no". It will not tell you if you have a completed trip or not.

If a dealer scans and erases faults, the monitor resets. If you scan and erase your own faults, the monitor resets. If you disconnect the battery for any reason, for longer than the stay alive memory will stay alive for, it resets.

If you cold start it, run down city streets (a few lights maybe) and then do some freeway driving for 10-15 minutes, you should have a complete trip.

The tank evap. test won't start until a certain engine temp is reached, and usually runs while the engine is at low load, idling at a stop light, etc. It will try to do an evap. test right after you fuel, it senses a change by reading fuel level, and wants to check tank integrity right away.

EGR readiness happens at steady cruise, it cycles the valve, reads a change in temperature (if it has a temp sensor) or reads a change in O2 sensor readings to confirm the valve is doing something. It won't do this test until it's warmed up and running at steady speed with steady throttle.

Sponsored

OP
OP

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
3.6 engine and that 30 miles had 3 stops. Probably broke 55 in two spots due to traffic/in-town. I did plug my Innova 3030 into the port and it shows the same 2 items not ready. So I can at least verify when it's ready to retest. The farthest thing from my mind was not being ready for an emission test due to the dealer visit.

It was cold this morning (freezing temps) and I did run it until fully warmed. I'll make a few more trips and see what my reader shows.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
3.6 engine and that 30 miles had 3 stops. Probably broke 55 in two spots due to traffic/in-town. I did plug my Innova 3030 into the port and it shows the same 2 items not ready. So I can at least verify when it's ready to retest. The farthest thing from my mind was not being ready for an emission test due to the dealer visit.

It was cold this morning (freezing temps) and I did run it until fully warmed. I'll make a few more trips and see what my reader shows.
You should be able to read the actual readiness monitor on that, it has the red, yellow, green LEDs on the front. Red is a fault, yellow is not ready, green is ready.

OP
OP

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
You should be able to read the actual readiness monitor on that, it has the red, yellow, green LEDs on the front. Red is a fault, yellow is not ready, green is ready.
Yes, they are yellow. My question was whether anyone know the magical number of miles, stop/starts, accelerating to highway speeds or other magic before they are ready.

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
You can watch the monitors drop off if you connect the car to your reader, then watch the monitors drop off as you're driving. If there are still a couple showing, then don't shut it off. Just figure out which ones haven't dropped off and run it until it does drop off. For EGR, like I said, typically steady speed 40+ with even throttle input for a bit. It should cycle the EGR during steady cruise. For evap, come to a stop in a parking lot, and let it idle for a few minutes. See if that gets it to drop off.

I have to deal with this stuff from time to time, and I have tricks for our product line that seem to work, but depending on engine management there are different tricks.

OP
OP

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
You can watch the monitors drop off if you connect the car to your reader, then watch the monitors drop off as you're driving. If there are still a couple showing, then don't shut it off. Just figure out which ones haven't dropped off and run it until it does drop off. For EGR, like I said, typically steady speed 40+ with even throttle input for a bit. It should cycle the EGR during steady cruise. For evap, come to a stop in a parking lot, and let it idle for a few minutes. See if that gets it to drop off.

I have to deal with this stuff from time to time, and I have tricks for our product line that seem to work, but depending on engine management there are different tricks.
Thanks! I think the issue may be the need for higher sustained speeds versus in-town. Worst case, I have a decent highway trip coming this weekend.

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Strange that texas would require emission testing on new vehicles. Even CA gives a 5yr pass on that one.
Only certain counties even do emissions testing here. The more rural counties only look for a check engine light and the normal safety functions.

OP
OP

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
100+ miles later, Evap still not ready. Supposedly I need to let it idle for 5 minutes from a cold start, drive between 30-45mph at a steady speed and then maybe let it idle for 4 minutes. I think manufacturers should be required to document and provide the details for ready state.

Fortunately, I read on the state's website that one monitor in Not Ready state is considered a pass. So my EGR finally being ready and Evap not would allow a passing inspection.

Rb75

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
100+ miles later, Evap still not ready. Supposedly I need to let it idle for 5 minutes from a cold start, drive between 30-45mph at a steady speed and then maybe let it idle for 4 minutes. I think manufacturers should be required to document and provide the details for ready state.

Fortunately, I read on the state's website that one monitor in Not Ready state is considered a pass. So my EGR finally being ready and Evap not would allow a passing inspection.
@dsgrey - I've got a 2018 JLUR at 35k miles and just failed the emissions test. (I had disconnected the battery a few days before the test to install an intake - poor timing). I've been following several threads trying to sort this out - I initially had 3 "UnReady" codes but after a 1k mile road trip the O2 was resolved and I'm left with EVAP and EGR. I need to get one of these resolved. How did you get the EGR resolved?

I have tried a couple of drive cycles - but can't believe that a 1,000 mile trip with a mix of highway, city, off-road, etc. wasn't enough to get the required readings.

OP
OP

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
@dsgrey - I've got a 2018 JLUR at 35k miles and just failed the emissions test. (I had disconnected the battery a few days before the test to install an intake - poor timing). I've been following several threads trying to sort this out - I initially had 3 "UnReady" codes but after a 1k mile road trip the O2 was resolved and I'm left with EVAP and EGR. I need to get one of these resolved. How did you get the EGR resolved?

I have tried a couple of drive cycles - but can't believe that a 1,000 mile trip with a mix of highway, city, off-road, etc. wasn't enough to get the required readings.
I just drove about 20 miles of mixed driving and mine reset. Nothing special for the EGR.
Sponsored