Sponsored

FAD ISSUES 2nd Trip to Dealership No IDEA what it causing this... 2020 Sport Jeep

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Sport S
Hey Dana 44 Front axle no modifications on my 2020 Jeep 19,000 miles. Jeep has Fuel Rims and 33's, leveling kit from TeraFlex

Dealer had my Jeep for 15 days opened a STAR case and were told to replace the FAD everything both shafts, and FAD Actuator. "Sport model no Locker just FAD"

Said it was fixed and within 8 miles reappeared, advised and Service manager said bring it back. I didn't have a GoPro to stick under so I parked it and ordered the GoPro maginet so I can see where the noise is truly coming from. So the next morning was going record and show video to the dealership and noise was gone, crazy. Drove around town to different places, starting stopping etc. After from what it seems it appears when its been driven a while.

Noise goes away with putting into 4H or 4L... I even removed the front drive shaft to see if it was the axle or transfer case. The video was provided to the service manager. Seems like FAD is engaging then dis engaging with the shift level in 2WD. Anyone have any ideas?

Now when I put it into 4H with the front drive shaft off it did not stop the noise. I wanted to rule out the Transfer Case engaging and causing the ratcheting noise in the Diff.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
OP
OP
stpetejeepermike
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Sport S
Yes i disconnected the wire harness to the Fad which stopped the engagement also it stops when I shift into 4H or 4L but returns when plugging back in or going back into 2wd

OP
OP
stpetejeepermike
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Sport S
Oh disconnecting creates the Serv 4wd light but goes aways when reconnecting and cycling the ignition off n on etc

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Hmmm where is the transfer case (drivetrain) control module located on these new Jeeps? That’s where they’ll be needing to look.

You would have to be getting stray voltage on the violet/dark blue striped wire going into the FAD. Can you poke it with a voltmeter?

OP
OP
stpetejeepermike
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Sport S
Hmmm where is the transfer case (drivetrain) control module located on these new Jeeps? That’s where they’ll be needing to look.

You would have to be getting stray voltage on the violet/dark blue striped wire going into the FAD. Can you poke it with a voltmeter?
Yes that was the first thing they checked was the wiring harness from the Module to the FAD.. with and it checked out, updated the module.. STAR team said to replace the FAD and axle shafts on the drivers side.
Sponsored