FAD gone on 2023 Rubicon?

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Tell me if I am wrong but the main issue people have with the FAD is that the casting in the axle housing to accomodate the FAD weakens the axle housing itself. If appears that the full time 4WD axle still has the same axle housing, therefore has same fatal flaw, but simply puts a plate over the space the FAD motor would live. Am I seeing this correctly that OP's picture is just a plate?

Then to make matters worse, to get the full time 4WD, the transfer case becomes an electronic clutch driven one that is likely prone to shorter usable lifespan relative to the purely mechanical transfer case on FAD-equipped Jeeps. True or not?
Sponsored

OP
OP
scinoakville

scinoakville

First Name
SC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubi Unlimited
Here are two things.
one is the axle housing with big open for FAD function. People concern this weak point no matter you have or not have the FAD motor. My pic shows it is just covered by a four bolt plate from Jeep line.

Second, for a rubicon, 3.6 etorque with full time 4WD option, does anyone else see FAD motor is replaced by a plate? Will this plate be put on in the future even for other trims with auto 4WD, or just a mistake made by Jeep? Is single piece axle put there or two piece axles locked somehow?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I would be very surprised given that Dana is supplying the shafts that it is a one piece. I have not seen one on the market.

My guess is if you pull the plate you will see this:

Jeep Wrangler JL FAD gone on 2023 Rubicon? 92337FD4-6C4E-48C9-9F3E-8B0BE7A144BE

Instead of this:

Jeep Wrangler JL FAD gone on 2023 Rubicon? s-l1600

They may also be chrome moly, but less certain about that. The yokes may provide a clue.

CrMo on the left and OEM on the right:

Jeep Wrangler JL FAD gone on 2023 Rubicon? 20220925_103211

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
This thread is more confusing than not.

Which Jeep configurations and years are shipping without a FAD?

I can tell you that my 2022 JLUR XR 2.0T with 2-Hi and both full time and part time 4-Hi, does have a FAD, along with CVs.

Sponsored

Plumbean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon XR
Here are two things.
one is the axle housing with big open for FAD function. People concern this weak point no matter you have or not have the FAD motor. My pic shows it is just covered by a four bolt plate from Jeep line.

Second, for a rubicon, 3.6 etorque with full time 4WD option, does anyone else see FAD motor is replaced by a plate? Will this plate be put on in the future even for other trims with auto 4WD, or just a mistake made by Jeep? Is single piece axle put there or two piece axles locked somehow?
I have a 2023 very similar to yours but have a FAD. 2023 JLUR XR with 2H, 4H Auto, 4H Part Time and 4L.

OP
OP
scinoakville

scinoakville

First Name
SC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubi Unlimited
To be clear, Mine is 2023, 4 door rubicon, built in April, having 2H, 4H auto, 4H party time and 4L, CV. FAD function is gone, just a plate covering the open on axle.

Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Ah, it's time for another episode of "fly on the wall at Jeep HQ."

VP: "Folks, we've got a problem. All the supply chain increases are biting our butts, and the Fed interest rate increases mean that we can't just keep raising prices like we were last year." I need lower prices to get unit sales up, and cost cutting to get our margins up. What have you got?"

Sales: "It's not just base MSRP. Folks are blinking at fully optioned prices. If we can make some savings on popular option packages, that'll help."

Marketing: "Some of our data suggests there's cross-over into the Wrangler from SUV segments, and these folks who haven't been exposed to 4WD before are optioning up with "Full Time 4WD" Can we do anything with that?

Engineering: "Well, if folks are picking "Full Time 4wd" and they're using a "set it and forget it" mindset in 4Auto, then they don't really need that electronic front axle disconnect. It's only useful when operating in 2H mode. If they're not in 2H much, it's just an appendix. How much could we save if we drop the Actuator and Actuator Skid Plate?"

Accounting: (looks up part numbers....) "Hmmm. probably about $75 COGS for a net benefit of about $200 on the top line."

VP: "Awesome folks. Do it. Every little bit helps. I've got another meeting to run to but you all keep rolling on other ideas."

Disclaimer: This is a work of complete and total fiction. If there are any actual facts in this post, it's purely coincidental.

ag4ever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘82 CJ-8, ‘82 CJ-8, ‘83 CJ-8, ‘23 Wrangler 4xe
‘23 Sahara 4xe, built 11/22. Mine has the FAD actuator. 2H - 4H auto - 4H part - N - 4L

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The ONLY JL from factory withut a front axle disconnect should be the 392 because the 392 has no 2H option at all. All other trims and engines, even with Auto 4WD option, should have a FAD from factory because they still have 2H.