Factory Warranty after lift

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
I've seen some people comment about losing factory warranty coverage as a result of a lift. When you add a lift, what parts are no longer covered by the factory FCA warranty? Obviously FCA isn't going to warranty any part that came with the lift kit. But are there other parts that lose warranty coverage once you add a lift?
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Around here, it depends on the dealership. Thereā€™s used to be a dealership here that would put the Mopar lift and 35s on Jeepā€™s when they get them in, before putting them on the lot. They had Jeep savoy techs, and service writers, hell, some even daily drove a lifted JL.

When you would go there for warranty work they understood what would and wouldnā€™t be affected by the lift. Unfortunately, they have changed ownership and now not so Jeep friendly.

Some dealerships, when they see you drive up , have already made their minds up, and even though they listen to whatā€™s wrong, automatically say itā€™s because of the lift and larger tires, we canā€™t warranty it.

My advise to people when they ask about this isā€¦ā€¦go into it expecting to fix anything suspension related yourself, and donā€™t expect any help from the dealership. If you can and are able, do as much of the work yourself, or find a Jeep JL specific enthusiast/mechanic that you can trust to help you out. And only use dealership for warranty on major things, engine, transmission, computer related, etcā€¦..

If you go into it with this mindset, youā€™ll enjoy your rig a hell of a lot more, and it will be fun, as it should beā€¦ā€¦āœŒ

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I am lucky, my dealer is real good about doing warranty work and my Jeep is modded pretty good. They will not warranty the suspension but have taken care of everything that I have not modded.

Heck they do Jeep greet and meets for the local Jeep community, sponsored events and at times will send people to go wheeling with me. They are like here is $500 bucks, take some of our customers on a day wheeling trip.

OP
OP
AVGeek99

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Around here, it depends on the dealership. Thereā€™s used to be a dealership here that would put the Mopar lift and 35s on Jeepā€™s when they get them in, before putting them on the lot. They had Jeep savoy techs, and service writers, hell, some even daily drove a lifted JL.

When you would go there for warranty work they understood what would and wouldnā€™t be affected by the lift. Unfortunately, they have changed ownership and now not so Jeep friendly.

Some dealerships, when they see you drive up , have already made their minds up, and even though they listen to whatā€™s wrong, automatically say itā€™s because of the lift and larger tires, we canā€™t warranty it.

My advise to people when they ask about this isā€¦ā€¦go into it expecting to fix anything suspension related yourself, and donā€™t expect any help from the dealership. If you can and are able, do as much of the work yourself, or find a Jeep JL specific enthusiast/mechanic that you can trust to help you out. And only use dealership for warranty on major things, engine, transmission, computer related, etcā€¦..

If you go into it with this mindset, youā€™ll enjoy your rig a hell of a lot more, and it will be fun, as it should beā€¦ā€¦āœŒ
Good to know!! I'll ask my dealer about their stance on Warranty work for lifted Jeeps.

Since getting my JK I've started to do more stuff myself. I've done brakes a few times, shocks, bumpers, all pretty easy stuff. I'd like to start doing more, I think it's part of the fun of owning a Jeep. I'd like to get into doing more suspension stuff. After watching some of the install videos I almost would like to try installing a lift myself; I have a friend that said he'd help. The only part that looks like I'd really have problems with is getting the bigger springs in. There's only so much you can do with a floor jack and jack stands. Wish my garage had room for a hydraulic lift.

I am lucky, my dealer is real good about doing warranty work and my Jeep is modded pretty good. They will not warranty the suspension but have taken care of everything that I have not modded.

Heck they do Jeep greet and meets for the local Jeep community, sponsored events and at times will send people to go wheeling with me. They are like here is $500 bucks, take some of our customers on a day wheeling trip.
This is more or less what I would expect. I wouldn't expect FCA or a Dealer to cover any aftermarket parts.

For those dealers that are less forgiving, is it mainly other suspension components not typically part of a lift kit (ball joints, tie rods/ends, etc...) that they wont cover under warranty, or do they go further into the drivetrain too?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The only part that looks like I'd really have problems with is getting the bigger springs in. There's only so much you can do with a floor jack and jack stands. Wish my garage had room for a hydraulic lift.
You can do a complete lift in your garage with jack stands and floor jacks, no problem.
Pro tip ā€¦ā€¦.. make sure you can get the Jeep out of the garage post lift, before installing the liftā€¦ā€¦ā€¦..;)

I have access to a buddyā€™s lift anytime I need it, but I do 90 percent of the lifts I install in my small garage. ā€¦ā€¦ though not necessary, it does help to have 2 - 12 ton jack stands and 2 floor jacks, one of them a hi- lift floorjack. The springs pictured are 3.5ā€ lift springs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Warranty after lift B131DA73-8ED1-4050-9BBD-9EC6614BFD2A
Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Warranty after lift 54B84AAE-DA53-4748-9ED7-21F1089233FB

Sponsored

OP
OP
AVGeek99

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can do a complete lift in your garage with jack stands and floor jacks, no problem.
Pro tip ā€¦ā€¦.. make sure you can get the Jeep out of the garage post lift, before installing the liftā€¦ā€¦ā€¦..;)

I have access to a buddyā€™s lift anytime I need it, but I do 90 percent of the lifts I install in my small garage. ā€¦ā€¦ though not necessary, it does help to have 2 - 12 ton jack stands and 2 floor jacks, one of them a hi- lift floorjack. The springs pictured are 3.5ā€ lift springs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Warranty after lift 54B84AAE-DA53-4748-9ED7-21F1089233FB
hmmm... now you've given me something to think about.

Love the Pro-tip. That would certainly be a Homer Simpson "DOH!!" moment. LOL!! :LOL: I think I'll be alright though. Just doing 2.5" with 35s to the garage door opening should be fine.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Obviously the OEM warranty will not cover any aftermarket parts you've installed.

Further, warranty can be denied on OEM parts that are damaged as a result of an aftermarket part installation or failure. There is a shared burden of proof between the vehicle owner and manufacturer as to whether or not the OEM part failed due to the aftermarket part having been installed or if it failed.

For those what have a dealership that will install aftermarket parts ask about the warranty coverage on the parts and labor. And don't take their word for it, either. Get the warranty in writing....always.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
hmmm... now you've given me something to think about.

Love the Pro-tip. That would certainly be a Homer Simpson "DOH!!" moment. LOL!! :LOL: I think I'll be alright though. Just doing 2.5" with 35s to the garage door opening should be fine.
Actually, I think Henry Ford did it once.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My ball joints continue to click even after I tightened them, and I now have some side to side movement and occasional shimmy/wobble.

What are the chances that they would replace the ball joints under warranty given that I have a Mopar lift and 37s?

Also, does anyone know the part numbers for the iron knuckles that come on the 392/Dieser and Xtreme Recon? If I am changing ball joints I may as well replace the knuckles.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
I've seen some people comment about losing factory warranty coverage as a result of a lift. When you add a lift, what parts are no longer covered by the factory FCA warranty? Obviously FCA isn't going to warranty any part that came with the lift kit. But are there other parts that lose warranty coverage once you add a lift?
Sorry, no easy answer for you. Like others said, it depends on the dealership, but ultimately its Stellantis that makes the final decision. The reason there is some ambiguity is because some dealers will take the time to investigate whether your aftermarket mods affected the defective item. They would then make this case to Stellantis to get them to pay for the repair. Other dealers are too lazy/busy/both to take the time to do this investigation and just look at your 4" lift and say 'nope', thinking that Stellantis will just deny the claim so why should they waste their time.

Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Warranties and modding the law (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act) is aftermarket/modified parts are not covered (clearly) and if that aftermarket/modified part cause a factory part to fail then that is not covered as well.

The issue is dealership is the ones to make the call if the that failed is due to issues with the factory or issues with the owner, and they are in bed with the manufacturers so most will throw out the claims without even looking at the jeep claiming that the mods are the cause but a few a honest and will look it over any try to win customer loyalty. Also the cost of the warranty claim can cause a dealer to work on it or not, big claims will be questioned by the manufacturer and also the manufacture pays more or less a fixed rate for labor for a given task, say it is an engine swap the dealer will be paid for x hours of labor regardless if it took x+y hours

Some examples where the only mod is lift and tires:
  • radio dies, this is covered by warranty because there is no way that the tires would have a negative effect of the radio
  • broken axle shaft, not covered they can claim that the larger tire exceeded the design of the axle
  • blown engine, they may claim the tires added more load, but you could also claim that it was a faulty engine to start with and you might have to fight it in court (they are banking on that because that is a high bar for a customer to follow through on)

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
My ball joints continue to click even after I tightened them, and I now have some side to side movement and occasional shimmy/wobble.

What are the chances that they would replace the ball joints under warranty given that I have a Mopar lift and 37s?

Also, does anyone know the part numbers for the iron knuckles that come on the 392/Dieser and Xtreme Recon? If I am changing ball joints I may as well replace the knuckles.
What do you mean by "My ball joints click"? Can you try to describe it? I have a clack or pop when I start moving from stop. I can't find the source. Could it be ball joints?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

They're definitely not going to cover ball joints under warranty if you're running 37s.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
What do you mean by "My ball joints click"? Can you try to describe it? I have a clack or pop when I start moving from stop. I can't find the source. Could it be ball joints?
OMG!!!. I have this pop clunk when I start moving from a stop also. (seems to be as load transfers). It has been driving me crazy. I have tightened and checked every link. I'm sorry you have this issue, but I'm happy that I found someone else with the same problem. Do you have any theories/things to try?

Now, in addition to that, when I turn my steering wheel while parked or low speeds, the ball joints will click as the wheel is turned. It is a known, widely reported issue here. They literally click. You can alleviate that by tightening the castle nuts (which I did) but mine did not 100% solved the clicking.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The reason I had my dealership install the Mopar lift was the warranty. At some later time can always do a @Roky lift. šŸ˜Ž :swear: Since I call my Rubi my retirement Jeep I hope I convince myself not to trade it in 2/3 years. I have habit of once normal warranty over they tend to disappear. Two items on my MOST hate to do list is # 1 Move and #2 Auto repair issues.
Sponsored