4x4tographer

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Clubs

Hi everyone, full disclosure, I'm no mechanical genius. I know enough to do some basic wrenching and follow directions.

When working on installing my new Clayton Overland+ lift last night, we got to torquing everything down to factory specs. This is where I noticed a pretty big discrepancy between Clayton's instructions and the JL factory specs.

For example:

Front LCA nuts (reusing factory hardware)
  • Factory specs: 103ft/lbs +50°
  • Clayton's specs: 190ft/lbs
Front UCA nut | bolt (reusing factory hardware)
  • Factory specs: 41ft/lbs + 185° (front nut) | 37ft/lbs + 135° (rear bolt)
  • Clayton's specs: 80ft/lbs (all fasteners)

Do I stick with factory specs? Do I roll with Clayton's increased torque values?

Last thing I want to is shear a bolt or have a failure on the trail due to over-torquing things.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone, full disclosure, I'm no mechanical genius. I know enough to do some basic wrenching and follow directions.

When working on installing my new Clayton Overland+ lift last night, we got to torquing everything down to factory specs. This is where I noticed a pretty big discrepancy between Clayton's instructions and the JL factory specs.

For example:

Front LCA nuts (reusing factory hardware)
  • Factory specs: 103ft/lbs +50°
  • Clayton's specs: 190ft/lbs
Front UCA nut | bolt (reusing factory hardware)
  • Factory specs: 41ft/lbs + 185° (front nut) | 37ft/lbs + 135° (rear bolt)
  • Clayton's specs: 80ft/lbs (all fasteners)

Do I stick with factory specs? Do I roll with Clayton's increased torque values?

Last thing I want to is shear a bolt or have a failure on the trail due to over-torquing things.
Follow Claytons instructions to the letter, they know what their doing over there, and there won’t be any discrepancies if something happens with the lift.

Lapis

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
The factory specs call for torquing to a spec (103ft/lb) then turning the wrench by a certain degree more (50 degrees) thus torquing further.

I bet if you measured torque after applying the factory spec, it'd probably be pretty close to the torque suggested by Clayton.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Actually just went through this when doing my Clayton arms. I actually did them both ways to see how close the values were and the Clayton spec is pretty much spot on and easier to do for the average person.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
We actually use the same torque specs as factory! Here's a list of factory torque specs just for comparison, but truthfully we always tell everybody to even go a little bit tighter, especially if you're going to be using these off-road at all! :like:

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Torque Specs vs. Clayton Overland Lift Torque Specs JL Factory Torque Specs

OP
OP
4x4tographer

4x4tographer

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Clubs

We actually use the same torque specs as factory! Here's a list of factory torque specs just for comparison, but truthfully we always tell everybody to even go a little bit tighter, especially if you're going to be using these off-road at all! :like:

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory Torque Specs vs. Clayton Overland Lift Torque Specs JL Factory Torque Specs
You guys kick butt! Thank you so much for the info! Everyone else too!
Sponsored