Factory SiriusXM antenna, but factory radio is not capable

Minna Krispi

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport Altitude
I just bought a 2019 JLU Sport Altitude with the Technology Package. According to the 'Build your Wrangler' tool on Jeep.com, SiriusXM capability is automatically included with the Technology Package...you can't even unselect it. The satellite antenna appears to be there (on the sound bar)...and the dealer even gave me the Sirius brochure.

So I bring my new Jeep home, and try to start up Sirius, but there is no option on the radio (7 inch Uconnect 4) to select it. I checked with the dealer, Sirius, Jeep Cares (Jeep Don'tCare), and Uconnect Cares (Don'tCare either). Via my VIN, they confirmed the radio is not SiriusXM capable. According the Uconnect Cares, they simply can't do anything because the entirety of the FCA corporation is unable to determine if a 7 inch (or 8.4 inch) Sirius capable replacement radio would be compatible with my Jeep. they told me I was free to make that swap on my own.

I don't understand why a Sirius antenna would be installed if the radio couldn't handle it. Did they run out of Sirius capable radios? I've read that the antenna might also have GPS...for the compass maybe? Seems like a waste of money an Jeep's part. Mostly I'm irked at the blatantly false advertising on Jeep.com.

Just wondering if anyone else had come across this and what if anything you did about it. Thanks!
Sponsored

hughescl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sport Altitude
I just bought a 2019 JLU Sport Altitude with the Technology Package. According to the 'Build your Wrangler' tool on Jeep.com, SiriusXM capability is automatically included with the Technology Package...you can't even unselect it. The satellite antenna appears to be there (on the sound bar)...and the dealer even gave me the Sirius brochure.

So I bring my new Jeep home, and try to start up Sirius, but there is no option on the radio (7 inch Uconnect 4) to select it. I checked with the dealer, Sirius, Jeep Cares (Jeep Don'tCare), and Uconnect Cares (Don'tCare either). Via my VIN, they confirmed the radio is not SiriusXM capable. According the Uconnect Cares, they simply can't do anything because the entirety of the FCA corporation is unable to determine if a 7 inch (or 8.4 inch) Sirius capable replacement radio would be compatible with my Jeep. they told me I was free to make that swap on my own.

I don't understand why a Sirius antenna would be installed if the radio couldn't handle it. Did they run out of Sirius capable radios? I've read that the antenna might also have GPS...for the compass maybe? Seems like a waste of money an Jeep's part. Mostly I'm irked at the blatantly false advertising on Jeep.com.

Just wondering if anyone else had come across this and what if anything you did about it. Thanks!
Same exact issue with me (same make/model). Was advertised as having SiriusXM as part of technology group but radio does not have any SiriusXM functionality. So you definitely confirmed that the antenna is there? I was considering buying an after-market SiriusXM receiver, if the antenna was there and especially if the antenna wiring harness was already installed. I did bring it to the dealers' attention the very next day after purchase. All they were willing to do was issue me a check for $195.00, the "cost" of the option according to them.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The Chrysler website photo of the radio shows SXM on the screen when Radio is selected from the options on the bottom of the touchscreen.

Uconnect 4 with 7" Screen.jpeg

Also, if this radio has Apple CarPlay you can download the Sirius XM app and play it through your iPhone to the radio. This of course wouldn't work in areas with no cell phone reception (the main advantage of satellite radio.)

Last edited:

hughescl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Chrysler website photo of the radio shows SXM on the screen when Radio is selected from the options on the bottom of the touchscreen.

Uconnect 4 with 7" Screen.jpeg

Also, if this radio has Apple CarPlay you can download the Sirius XM app and play it through your iPhone to the radio. This of course wouldn't work in areas with no cell phone reception (the main advantage of satellite radio.)
That is what is missing on my (our) radio, the SXM button that appears in the picture isn't there. My workaround to provide SXM is to use Apple Carplay as you mentioned, but it does rely on the cell phone's data plan and can get pricey if you don't have unlimited data as part of your plan.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
That is what is missing on my (our) radio, the SXM button that appears in the picture isn't there. My workaround to provide SXM is to use Apple Carplay as you mentioned, but it does rely on the cell phone's data plan and can get pricey if you don't have unlimited data as part of your plan.
Since the 7" radio head can have SiriusXM and you bought and paid for it, I would insist the dealer fix the issue. It probable just needs the computer flashed to recognize the option.

Sponsored

hughescl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since the 7" radio head can have SiriusXM and you bought and paid for it, I would insist the dealer fix the issue. It probable just needs the computer flashed to recognize the option.
Agreed. Picture of my radio powered up. No SXM button. I also did confirm that the SXM antenna IS there! However, don't know if the wiring harness goes down to the radio or not without ripping a bunch of stuff off. The dealers' answer was to give me back $195...but to be honest I would rather have the radio working correctly. Think I will take it to another Jeep place to inquire about re-flashing the radio (or computer).
Radio.jpg

OP
OP

Minna Krispi

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, let us know what you find out about re-flashing. I've gotten nothing but 'Too bad, so sad' from the dealer, Jeep and Uconnect. At this point I would take the $195 and run.

Another thread on this forum:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/added-a-8-4-to-my-jlu-altitude.36275/
So apparently doable, but $1200 out of pocket for the 8.4 inch radio.

Also, I got this from another member:

'Google "get my Jeep build sheet" and go to Jeepsies website and click on the link in step 2 of the article on how to get the build sheet - enter your VIN and they'll show the build sheet. Or, you can go to a friendly dealer who will print one out for you.'

Unsurprisingly, my build sheet does not show SiriusXM, just a 'GPS Antenna Input'. I just wish Jeep would just give an answer as to why the jeep.com Build Tool say it is included, but our Jeeps demonstrate it is not. And why other similarly equipped VINs (with the same $995 Technology Package) I found through their search tool do.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
There are two possible antennas up there. This one is on the left side and is GPS and LTE.
upload_2019-10-24_19-25-29.jpeg

This one is SXM and to the right side of the sportsbar.
upload_2019-10-24_19-27-0.jpeg

You could have none, either one or both depending on the options selected.

Gregj

OP
OP

Minna Krispi

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine is definitely the SXM on the right side. Nothing where the other should be.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
By “SXM capability” maybe they mean the antenna and wire are present and capable of being connected to an SXM radio vs “SXM equipped” which means you have SXM? Poorly worded I know but they mean you can easily add SXM.

Gregj

Sponsored

OP
OP

Minna Krispi

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure I can add it. But the website clearly shows it should be included with what I purchased:
Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

Vito92

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JL 2Door Willys
Did you ever figure this out? i'm having the same issue with my 22
I have a 22 willys and some issue just confirmed I have both the antenna but I saw on another forum that as long as the mustard connect is behind the radio it should work and it will need to be plugged in. But that was with having to go buy an antenna ill report back what I find

Nostromo7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU
I have a 22 willys and some issue just confirmed I have both the antenna but I saw on another forum that as long as the mustard connect is behind the radio it should work and it will need to be plugged in. But that was with having to go buy an antenna ill report back what I find
Do you have a link to that other post? I'm also interested in possibly getting SiriusXM on my 7" radio. I tried the SiriusXM with Android Auto today and honestly it was great, though it would be nice to have the option down the road of using the independent satellite signal.

Vito92

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JL 2Door Willys
Do you have a link to that other post? I'm also interested in possibly getting SiriusXM on my 7" radio. I tried the SiriusXM with Android Auto today and honestly it was great, though it would be nice to have the option down the road of using the independent satellite signal.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/just-drove-my-2022-2-door-willys-home-and.2440478/

I posted the video above and the link to the thread in the other forum i saw it. I looked at mine and thought I had the capability since I had an antenna and what not to but after taking apart the centerstack I sae I have a blue connector versus mustard. Later ill probably upgrade to the 8.4 just cuz but in the meantime I'll run it through my app
Sponsored