Factory ran out of black paint?

JeepJL0335

First Name
vb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Jeep JL Moab
Probably a silly question but after the Wife spilled an entire gallon of dawn in my cargo area I had to remove the carpet and discovered the body isn’t painted to match exterior. Every video I’ve seen in YouTube it’s always the same color. Is this factory?
Jeep Wrangler JL Factory ran out of black paint? 436F2EAD-104D-4E85-A8F0-C0156F331E0B
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, another forum member posted photos of his brand new JL with paint missing around the hood hinges.

I see you have a 2019 Moab, so it appears FCA has been doing this for awhile.

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
not surprised, mine is missing black paint on the outside by the tailgate hinges so why would they paint under the carpet.

GonnaGetLost

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GMC 1500, 2021 JLUR
Occupation
Auto Mfg Equipment Engineer
Probably a silly question but after the Wife spilled an entire gallon of dawn in my cargo area I had to remove the carpet and discovered the body isn’t painted to match exterior. Every video I’ve seen in YouTube it’s always the same color. Is this factory?
Jeep Wrangler JL Factory ran out of black paint? 436F2EAD-104D-4E85-A8F0-C0156F331E0B
In general the interior of autos today don’t get painted (cost down). The black paint you see near the jack/tool storage area is the over spray from paining the outer part of the body below the tailgate. The inner floor area that is grey is probably the ecoat that the entire body gets dipped in.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I understand “cost cutting.” But cost reduction is hard to swallow when FCA charges $55,000 for a truck with plastic bumpers and solid axles.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Have you told the dealer about it?
No. I really don’t know how they would fix the missed spots under the rail on the tub correctly without repainting the entire back of the Jeep. I have a feeling they’d just try to blend it.

the tailgate would be easier and less risk of them making the whole Jeep look mis-matched, but honestly it’s not affecting my enjoyment of it, and after my last Jeep experience, I don’t feel like having it sit at the dealer and be without a Jeep for any period of time.

that’s primer under there, right?

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
No. I really don’t know how they would fix the missed spots under the rail on the tub correctly without repainting the entire back of the Jeep. I have a feeling they’d just try to blend it.

the tailgate would be easier and less risk of them making the whole Jeep look mis-matched, but honestly it’s not affecting my enjoyment of it, and after my last Jeep experience, I don’t feel like having it sit at the dealer and be without a Jeep for any period of time.

Probably the right approach....but it amazes me with robotic painting these flaws continue. I am very fortunate as mine is very well painted. I don’t understand why the inconsistency from one Jeep to the next.

Sponsored

GonnaGetLost

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GMC 1500, 2021 JLUR
Occupation
Auto Mfg Equipment Engineer
Yeah should be. We hope Jeep didn’t miss that too.

Usually 2 coats, ecoat and primer coat, beneath the color and clear coats.

*edit: above statement Is not a confirmation of Jeep’s paint process, just my experience with other OEMs.

Last edited:

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
interesting, mine is orange all over. there are definitely a few light spots, but, not worth a dealer trip for. Especially seeings they probably would just say oh well sorry.....

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You should crawl under and look at the bottom of the tub...

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
You should crawl under and look at the bottom of the tub...
meh, been under there, didn't look, either way its probably dirty anyway so not terribly concerned if its painted or not.
Sponsored