Factory protection film on fenders.

Texan42

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I've been looking at doing a paint protection film on my JLUR and have some questions. I can clearly see there is a protective film on the front of the rear fenders, but when I look real close I can see and feel another layer underneath that covers the entire fender on both front and rear. It goes all the way to the edge and I had to look real close to see it. Is this a paint protection film?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Texan42

Texan42

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I've been looking at doing a paint protection film on my JLUR and have some questions. I can clearly see there is a protective film on the front of the rear fenders, but when I look real close I can see and feel another layer underneath that covers the entire fender on both front and rear. It goes all the way to the edge and I had to look real close to see it. Is this a paint protection film?
Not a thread about doing a PPF or not, just asking what this is. Thanks.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Alex, it must be about a protective film applied at the factory. I haven't the foggiest as to which Wranglers got the application. My '19 Sahara doesn't have anything on the rear fenders. I did have Epel applied to the grill, and front fenders. After our road trip,, seeing what stuff got to the back fenders, I may take it back and have some Expel put on them also. Or, maybe just some splash guards on the front. Decisions, decisions. :)

OP
OP
Texan42

Texan42

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Alex, it must be about a protective film applied at the factory. I haven't the foggiest as to which Wranglers got the application. My '19 Sahara doesn't have anything on the rear fenders. I did have Epel applied to the grill, and front fenders. After our road trip,, seeing what stuff got to the back fenders, I may take it back and have some Expel put on them also. Or, maybe just some splash guards on the front. Decisions, decisions. :)
Was the Xpel worth the cost in your opinion? Thinking about doing ot to all doors and hood.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Was the Xpel worth the cost in your opinion? Thinking about doing ot to all doors and hood.
To me it's worth the cost. But make sure you find an experienced installer. Expel is one as good as the installer. Remember it will self heal from light scratches, but if you gouge it deep you're in trouble. I don't think there is anything that will save you from the perils of extreme off-roading if that's what you're looking for. I have it for those small projectiles that come at you from the cars in front, but it won't stop a big rock.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Texan42

Texan42

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
To me it's worth the cost. But make sure you find an experienced installer. Expel is one as good as the installer. Remember it will self heal from light scratches, but if you gouge it deep you're in trouble. I don't think there is anything that will save you from the perils of extreme off-roading if that's what you're looking for. I have it for those small projectiles that come at you from the cars in front, but it won't stop a big rock.
It will be mainly for protection from mesquite thorns and the sharp brush of south texas....my JK had a lot of South Texas pin stripes from all the mesquite.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
It will be mainly for protection from mesquite thorns and the sharp brush of south texas....my JK had a lot of South Texas pin stripes from all the mesquite.
It should help, but as I understand it those thorns are sharp. They may cut into the Expel. It wouldn't be a bad idea to talk with the installer to see if it will help before you spend the money. As you know Expel ain't cheap.

OP
OP
Texan42

Texan42

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
It should help, but as I understand it those thorns are sharp. They may cut into the Expel. It wouldn't be a bad idea to talk with the installer to see if it will help before you spend the money. As you know Expel ain't cheap.
That is excellent advice. These thorns are sharp and tough as nails. I've pulled many out of my tires, which required pliers and most of them came out intact. It's a terrible sound as they screech across the paint.
Sponsored