Factory Plastic to Steel bumper swap

OP
OP

Jeep1967

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JL, 2008 Sahara JK, 2000 Sport TJ, 1995 Sport YJ
I bought a steel rubicon front bumper with led fog lights, it all bolted up fine (I have a JLU) the led fog light connected to OE harness but now the fogs won’t turn on ? Any of you guys know what the issue is or had the same issue ?
I did the same swap. No issues. Never took it to dealer or had a tazer. Have you verified the leds you bought work? I’d start there. I’d also check you are indeed getting power to your leads. Pm if you want help
Sponsored

hellayellow

First Name
JOSE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Sport
Occupation
TECHNICIAN
Vehicle Showcase
Your jeep was programmed from the factory to run halogens. It needs to be set to LED. I just got a Tazer mini and that is one of the many settings that it gives you access to. Or you could go to a dealer
Not sure what I did but they started working out of the blue connecting and disconnecting the main connector, now I noticed the flickering... I’m gonna try replacing the headlight bulbs to LED’s and see how that works ... I read earlier in this thread someone changed to leds and it worked, thanks for replying much appreciated

Fourthandlong5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Do the fog lights mount right up to the steel bumper without any need for additional brackets ? Does it reuse the fog light mounting bracket from the Rubi plastic bumper ?

This is whats on my plastic Rubi bumper ...
mopar-68298651aa-fog-light-mounting-bracket-adapter-jeep-wrangler-jl-front.jpg

Last edited:

Fourthandlong5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Do the fog lights mount right up to the steel bumper without any need for additional brackets ? Does it reuse the fog light mounting bracket from the Rubi plastic bumper ?

This is whats on my plastic Rubi bumper ...
mopar-68298651aa-fog-light-mounting-bracket-adapter-jeep-wrangler-jl-front.jpg
anyone know the answer to this one ?

Sponsored

Jarmistead82

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Mopar doesn’t make a bracket like this, at least that I’m aware of. The factory steel bumper comes with special foglights that have a steel bracket kind of like this one, but it is one piece with the foglight housing.

Fourthandlong5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Mopar doesn’t make a bracket like this, at least that I’m aware of. The factory steel bumper comes with special foglights that have a steel bracket kind of like this one, but it is one piece with the foglight housing.
Oh ok good to know

Fourthandlong5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
i see what you mean now .... I think this is the fog light set for the steel bumper ... not sure I’ll be able to reuse the fog lights from my plastic Rubi bumper.

272EC24B-D289-4F2F-ADA7-F867CEE1A996.png

Jarmistead82

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i see what you mean now .... I think this is the fog light set for the steel bumper ... not sure I’ll be able to reuse the fog lights from my plastic Rubi bumper.

272EC24B-D289-4F2F-ADA7-F867CEE1A996.png
Sure you can, that bracket is pretty cheap on Amazon. $20-$30, much cheaper than new fogs. I used them on mine as the steel bumper I bought didn’t come with the fogs. Perfect fit.

Sponsored

Fourthandlong5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Sure you can, that bracket is pretty cheap on Amazon. $20-$30, much cheaper than new fogs. I used them on mine as the steel bumper I bought didn’t come with the fogs. Perfect fit.
Thanks again Jarmistead82, I found the Amazon listing as well as Quadratec. Neither listing mentions that they are compatible with the JL Rubicon steel bumper but I take your word for it. Do the fogs sit nice and flush in the opening ? Have any pictures front and back ?

Jarmistead82

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can’t speak to the Quadratec ones as I got mine from Amazon, but the specific brand was Xprite. They do state that they are for the JK, but they do fit. Here are a couple pics. I imagine the specific steel bumper fogs may fit just a tiny bit tighter as they were molded specifically for the bumper. However, I am totally happy with the fit and finish.

CAD5DF15-CB55-4595-B88D-E849B62F4BC5.jpeg

43E321F4-D771-4738-8C51-58E3DE127DF8.jpeg

Mr.Smith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X
Like to see pics with and without skidplate? I assume plastic one wont work?

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
So I ordered a factory steel rubicon bumper and skid plate to replace my plastic one and now it’s sounding like I need additional parts?
Brackets for the LED fogs?
Riv nuts are not included when you order the skid from a mopar parts dealer?
The $23 closure panel for between grille and bumper?
Anything else?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Jeep1967

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JL, 2008 Sahara JK, 2000 Sport TJ, 1995 Sport YJ
So I ordered a factory steel rubicon bumper and skid plate to replace my plastic one and now it’s sounding like I need additional parts?
Brackets for the LED fogs?
Riv nuts are not included when you order the bumper from a mopar parts dealer?
The $23 closure panel for between grille and bumper?
Anything else?
There are many different brackets when going plastic to steel. If you ordered just the bumper you will need those. Most don’t interchange. I didn’t use rivnuts at all. I was able to use regular bolts/nuts where the rivnuts would go. The steel bumper uses unique led fogs. Mine came with the bumper. If you have led or halogen from plastic, they make some kind of adapters. I don’t know specifics. Yes closure panel (plastic) is unique to this bumper too.
PM if you want. If you look at a parts breakdown of each bumper, you should be able to see compatible or non compatible parts between the two.
Sponsored