Sponsored

Factory plastic bumper, to change or not to change?

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Slip n slide season is among us! I’m a big believer in protecting your vehicle. I don’t care if a bumper gets a dent or scratch, I just want to make sure it can handle force. That being said, how durable exactly are the OEM plastic bumpers? Has anyone had a decent accident where they actually held up okay and protected the Jeep? Thinking about getting the steel OEM bumpers or looking into aftermarket options. ill probably wait until Black Friday rolls around, but if the factory plastic ones are a no go, I’m definitely looking for recommendations for full width ones.

Another option would be getting a grill guard for the factory bumpers, I don’t mind the look honestly, but I also don’t want to restrict air flow.

All opinions welcome!

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory plastic bumper, to change or not to change? 32229C50-49ED-4AE1-8D89-1E7045A8FD2F
Sponsored

Last edited:

Demi

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue JLR 2.0
Slip n slide season is among us! I’m a big believer in protecting your vehicle. I don’t care if a bumper gets a dent or scratch, I just want to make sure it can handle force. That being said, how durable exactly are the OEM plastic bumpers? Has anyone had a decent accident where they actually held up okay and protected the Jeep? Thinking about getting the steel OEM bumpers or looking into aftermarket options. ill probably wait until Black Friday rolls around, but if the factory plastic ones are a no go, I’m definitely looking for recommendations for full width ones.

Another option would be getting a grill guard for the factory bumpers, I don’t mind the look honestly, but I also don’t want to restrict air flow.

All opinions welcome!

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory plastic bumper, to change or not to change? 32229C50-49ED-4AE1-8D89-1E7045A8FD2F
I haven't been in an accident with my Jeep... so I can't comment on the durability.... but the first major mod I made to my JL was to get the OEM steel bumpers and ditched the plastic. Looks so much nicer AND I know it will protect a hell of a lot better.

OP
OP
Punkn89

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
I haven't been in an accident with my Jeep... so I can't comment on the durability.... but the first major mod I made to my JL was to get the OEM steel bumpers and ditched the plastic. Looks so much nicer AND I know it will protect a hell of a lot better.
That is what I am leaning towards if any ever come up for sale near me, but waiting is the hard part!

Demi

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hydro Blue JLR 2.0
That is what I am leaning towards if any ever come up for sale near me, but waiting is the hard part!
Tell me about it. I played the "I know I'm paying too much... but... whatever" card at the time. Still don't regret it. Good luck!

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
If you take that plastic bumper off you'll see there isn't all that much steel behind it. It has to be the bare minimum to still be called a bumper. Especially the front sides (tow hooks out). A stronger person can probably bend it in by hand.

Personally I'd say go aftermarket steel or aluminum bumpers. Much more options to personalize. OEM steel isn't all that.

Sponsored

mark203

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys XR
Clubs

Obviously everything depends on the physics of the situation... but last summer a JLU rear-ended a Honda CRV in front of my house.

The CRV was stopped at a light, likely the JLU driver never saw him, impact was about 30mph.

The CRV was seriously totaled - their groceries that had been in the hatchback were all over the road. Undrivable.

The JLU (with the plastic bumper) had a slight deformation on the drivers' end of the bumper, but unless looking for it, the damage wasn't apparent. I can't obviously speak for the state of the crush cans, but the bumper didn't impact the grille of the Jeep.

Impact was likely dead-on center, just to be clear.

So... don't underrate the bumper just because the outside shell is made of plastic.

Unless you want to mount a winch or have some other purpose that the OEM bumper does not support, I'd say spend your money elsewhere first.

That being said, this advice is worth everything you paid for it. ;)

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Remember that energy went somewhere. When you see a steel bumper vehicle roll away without visible damage it made its way to the occupants, damaged the frame, or made some other issue that may not be immediately apparent.
That being said, there’s nothing wrong with them. They’re great offroad. The vehicle with the most mass usually protects its occupants best.
Plastic can help in a collision though by deforming to absorb energy. If occupant safety is your priority steel won’t help. It may not hurt, but it won’t help. If minimizing vehicle damage is your priority it might help. But it may just hide the damage until later.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Yeah, the other vehicle's crumple zone. 🤣
I wouldn't recommend plowing into a cement retaining wall in a Jeep.
That made me laugh, but if you hit something bigger than you (and this IS America, F-teen 50 anyone?), it's coming your way with no crumple to absorb it.

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
Price alone, the Rugged Ridge Spartan bumper might be the best best:

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory plastic bumper, to change or not to change? Rugged-Ridge

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...n-front-bumper-w-d-rings-and-isolator-package

For best value, the LoD bumpers are hard to beat. Price wise, they're a bit more, but the quality is excellent and they are built right here in the USA:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...h-front-bumper-w-bull-bar-black-powder-coated

Another good value would be the Warn Elite front bumper:

Jeep Wrangler JL Factory plastic bumper, to change or not to change? warn-elite-front

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...lite-series-full-width-front-bumper-with-tube

We've only got one left of those and so far there is no ETA for when Warn is back to producing bumpers again (their factory oversea is shut-down due to the Russia/Ukraine conflict).

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Punkn89

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Price alone, the Rugged Ridge Spartan bumper might be the best best:

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...n-front-bumper-w-d-rings-and-isolator-package

For best value, the LoD bumpers are hard to beat.Price wise, they're a bit more, but the quality is excellent:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...h-front-bumper-w-bull-bar-black-powder-coated

Another good value would be the Warn Elite front bumper:

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...lite-series-full-width-front-bumper-with-tube

We've only got one left of those and so far there is no ETA for when Warn is back to producing bumpers again (their factory oversea is shut-down due to the Russia/Ukraine conflict).

I am digging the LoD bumpers, is the stinger making a comeback?!

Does the powder coat hold up or does it rust?

Deleted member 59498

Doesn't really matter when they are held up by the frame the way they are.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

As others have stated, the plastic ones serve a specific purpose - absorbing impact. They actually do have a rather thick steel plate inside - you'll see if it you ever decide to remove. They also have crumple cans in them.

However, you can't do much mods to them, because they're plastic. Bull bars, winch mounting*, etc. The OEM steel, IMO, is the best option. It's unfortunate that it requires a separate winch plate purchase, but otherwise, the removable wings, plus the fit/finish, it's just a really well designed bumper (IMO). I also like that when you add a winch, it sits *in* the bumper vs *on* the bumper. There are many threads about airflow, etc, but I think it honestly just comes down to personal preference.

You can also find OEM steel take-offs pretty cheap online if you watch for them - I got mine for $500 cash, came with the steel skid plate, mounting hardware, and even a Rockhard 4x4 bull bar.

I wanted a bull bar and have plans for a winch once I get the funds saved up, so it was a steal for me.

The rear steel, however, is not great. There are loads of reports of it crumpling up into the body if it hangs on a rock, which would suck. Lots of efforts by folks to reinforce the mounting point, but meh.

So if you want a matching set, OEM might not be best (or you could run front steel and rear plastic, which most of us do).

When looking at aftermarket, you want to consider a few things to help narrow down your search:
  • Do you want full width, stubby, mid, or modular?
    • There are only ~3 modular ones that I know of
  • Do you want a sunken winch or not?
  • Do you want d-ring mounts or tow hooks?
  • Do you want steel or aluminum?
    • Steel is stronger, but heavier, and can rust
    • Aluminum is lighter, rust-proof, and can gouge (but still holds up well)
  • Thickness of the steel is a factor in price - cheaper ones that you find on Amazon, etc will have thinner gauge steel, possibly weaker welds, might be built overseas, etc.

EDIT: Forgot the * above. Yes, there are guides on here and ways that you can mount a winch to a plastic bumper. I've not investigated them, so I can't comment on whether they're legit, safe, etc. All my research thus far indicates that if you're doing a winch, you want a steel bumper. Again, this may not be actual fact, just what I've discovered thus far in my own personal research.

Last edited:

NC31

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I'm not an engineer but I think there is a major misunderstanding about steel bumpers. Steel bumpers are great because you can hook up a winch, tow strap, or hi-jack directly to them and because they can take some hits on the trail without cracking or collapsing like plastic. They are designed to protect themselves, not really the Jeep or the passenger. As a matter of fact I think the engineers have figured out that having an area in the front that collapses is actually safer.

For example, read the descriptions on any of the steel bumpers you look at and see if any of them claim to protect the Jeep or its passengers.

There are good reasons to replace your bumper, but this isn't one of them.
Sponsored