Sponsored

Factory Ordering a Sport S, What Should I Cut?

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Depends on who may be driving it. If your 16 yr old son or daughter was, as an example, i think I would want the safety features. Otherwise, I would drop them.

As for the remote key, I kind of got used to it when I had my other car and do miss it. This is especially true if you load your vehicle up a lot. Not an absolute necessity but very handy.

Funny that a nerd like me would say this, but cut the screen for sure. This is not your TV in your den, you won’t miss it.

I, personally, never saw the appeal of half doors. I would rather just use a tube door on the really nice days, as the doors are easy to take off. But, that is just me.

YTBlue

First Name
YT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys Edition
Here's my dream Sport-S config ($42k):

https://www.jeep.com/bmo.wrangler.2...DA,TQJ,WF9,A7,UAQ,AEK,AJ1,AAN,RC4,AJB,GXD,22S

Upgrades include:

- half doors
- 8.4 in screen
- remote key
- safety group

Gun to your head, what features would you cut, given these two configs? Is there anything you got in this list that you're unhappy with?
Half-doors would be the first thing I'd cut. They add a lot to your order. I love the convenience of the Remote Key and appreciate the Safety Group. I bought off the lot, and found a Willys that had everything I wanted (2.0L, Safety, Technology and Advanced Safety). The only thing it didn't have that I wish had been included is the 8.4" screen. I use Apple CarPlay with Google Maps, and would have liked a larger screen for that. Depends on how much you use navigation and how bad your eyes are. Lose the Half Doors -- you can always add them later.

OP
OP

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
Half-doors would be the first thing I'd cut. They add a lot to your order. I love the Remote Key and appreciate the Safety Group. I bought off the lot, and found a Willys that had everything I wanted (2.0L, Safety, Technology and Advanced Safety). The only thing it didn't have that I wish had been included is the 8.4" screen. I use Apple CarPlay with Google Maps, and would have liked a larger screen for that. Lost the Half Doors -- you can always add them later.
Can you easily add OEM half doors later?

Are there other features here that are way more annoying to add after-the-fact? Maybe it's best to prioritize that way? Things that are easy to add after its created vs ones that are a PITA to add later.

Sponsored

Xenolith

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Sport S, 6MT, 2024 Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Retired Geology Professor
I'm going to recommend an add. If you are going off road (assumed) I would order the anti-spin rear differential.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

If you're using the online build tool for pricing, you may not need to cut anything. It's still possible to get 5-7% off invoice at a few dealerships if you're willing to travel a bit.

You might be able to get the "fully loaded" build for the "unloaded" price

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
If you think you might ever want to tow something (light, since you are looking at a 2 door) or might want the aux switches I would add the tow package. You'll kick yourself later if you decide to add either of those, because the installs are a pain.

I'd kind of second the diff as well, you get a little more aggressive tire and it helps for stuff like the beach (cue LSD hate).

Jenny-van

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
If you think you might ever want to tow something (light, since you are looking at a 2 door) or might want the aux switches I would add the tow package. You'll kick yourself later if you decide to add either of those, because the installs are a pain.

I'd kind of second the diff as well, you get a little more aggressive tire and it helps for stuff like the beach (cue LSD hate).
And more costly to retrofit the beefier alternator and battery as well. If you think you’ll ever run high-draw accessories.

Sponsored

future ocean blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JLU
I'd get the 1/2 doors from the factory. They should be painted the same color as the jeep, aftermarket won't be. You seem to like and want them, buying them after the fact will be a pain and you'll have to have them painted.

Get the jeep you want. The cost of those things down the road will be way more than getting them from the factory. And then they will all have the factory warranty. You are spending the money, not us, get the stuff you want on it and enjoy the hell out of it.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
There’s no word if the Factory half doors will, or when, be available for us with our Jeeps already. Get the half doors, they look awesome, and the aftermarket ones suck. I’ve been in the market for some time now, and am dying for the OEM ones. There’s nothing like the clean lines and native look and feel of the OEM half doors. Along with native integration with key and electronics.

I have a 2018 Sport (not S), and the three things I wish I had, was the tow package for the upgraded alternator, LED light group upgrade, and electric door locks. I can’t remember what option includes the aux package, but I’d do that as well. I love my Switch Pros, but the aux package is clean.

I agree (kinda) on the upgrade to the LSD rear axle. The packs wear out quickly so they aren’t great, but it is easier to upgrade to locker down the line in the D44.

If music is important to you, then do that upgrade. It isn’t for me, and I have the lowest one with the tiny screen and regular buttons and knobs.

Cazadores

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2020 Firecracker Willys,
Get the tow package. Get whatever else you want, now, whatever that may be. Find a competitive offer below invoice and see how it fits your budget. While I never ever would advise making a decision based on a payment, one thing to keep in mind is pretty much everything you add from the factory is going to be less costly now than adding later, will be covered by warranty, and will add little to your payment if you're financing.

I think the 8.4 is what, $6 or $7 hundred more than just the Alpine? On a 40k vehicle that is literally a rounding error. I would also highly recommend getting both doors if you want the half doors, as they will be considerably less expensive now, painted at the factory to match, and will be keyed to your Jeep.

Bottom line, if you want it, order it with your Jeep, now. Even if you think you might just sort of like it, get it. Skip the Coffee Bean latte in the morning, or the extra craft beer when you go out if it makes you feel better, because that is about the equivalent of what you'll spend on options amortized over the first few years you own your Jeep.

Edit to add, get the tow package. I think it's likely the best value in optional add ons Jeep offers.

Last edited:

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2014 4Runner Limited
I have a sport s, and a few of the things I wish I had -

the tow package with aux switch, will make your life a lot easier for those aftermarket mods and comes with bigger alternator

the Alpine upgrade, the stock stereo is pretty lame

the LED light package, yeah you can add LED after the fact but if you want to add the OEM LEDs and you want to DRL's to work as they should, it's a task. Requires running additional wire and programming.

Also the limited slip rear axle.

I don't know anything about the 1/2 door so I couldn't really comment on that.

I didn't buy mine new, I was shopping for new and came real close to ordering one but I found a used one with 250 miles on it for 35k. It just has the tech package, side steps and 8 speed trans.

4doorturbo

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
I have the 7" screen and I'm not unhappy with it. But if I were ordering the Jeep, absolutely include the 8.4". It's pennies on the dollar. Safety group is nice, but I would swap that for the tow package. You get more for your money with the package (bigger alternator, wiring harness, hitch receiver). Side steps are a dime a dozen on Facebook Marketplace or these forums, so don't add them to the order. Rock sliders from a Rubicon are $100 or less from a forum member, as an example.
Sponsored